Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    823

    Memiors of a Mediocre Chess Player

    Hi,
    My aim with this thread is to post some of my classic chess failures that I feel something can be learnt from. If the aim of pointing out what I did wrong, what i should have done right and what I hope to learn from it. Hopefully I'll also get some feed back on what others think of my thinking (about the game).
    However, the first game I am post is a draw I had in the last game of the Sydney Grade matches, mainly to see if other think it is a drawn position.
    Event: Edited game
    Site: RICKS
    Date: 2006.07.31
    Round: -
    White: -
    Black: -
    Result: *

    PGN Viewer
     
    I've put the whole game up because I'm happy for comments on other parts of the game. I believe that my key mistake was 12. Rc1, which let black play Bh6 effectively. Better, I think would have been 12.h3.
    Anyway, black offered the draw, have just barely made the time control, and feeling that he was still to short on time. I took the draw because it pretty much guaranteed the u1400 title for my team. In our analysis after the game neither of us could find a clear win and decided it was a draw. However, I kind of think the position is to dynamic to be sure it's a draw, so that's why I am asking what people think.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

  2. #2
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,388
    In my view Black is slightly better in the final position just on account of the open lines towards White's king. Furthermore it is a position in which White could make a mistake easily. However Black seems to have missed the strongest chances already. In particular 26...Qh5+? is a pointless-looking move that removes the queen from an attack on white's g-pawn and drives the white king where it wants to go. 26...Raf8 instead is very strong indeed, probably winning.

    As a matter of personal taste I really dislike playing with fixed Q5/K4 pawn centres like White had in that game (though I did so twice in the Possum games with Axiom.) It is just so hard to restrain against an opposing P-KB4 pawn break as happened in this game and then the opponent gets play all over the place - Black really did have a good attack going for a while. I would have played 12.Ne1 so that I also have activity on the kingside when the inevitable ...f5 break comes. Also if there is an exchange of light square bishops then black's dark square bishop is not very good so white should be better. Again, this is a personal taste thing, I'm not saying it's definitely the best plan - but it is notable how white later slips into a bit of trouble without a single obvious error.

    Any time you play h3 to kick an opposing bishop the move must be considered quite carefully. It is a natural impulse to drive opposing bishops away but are they doing harm where they are standing? It often creates a long-term weakness that can be exploited in the other side's attack.

    Congrats on the title and with a result for the team on the line I wouldn't have thought too long about accepting that draw.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  3. #3
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    In particular 26...Qh5+? is a pointless-looking move that removes the queen from an attack on white's g-pawn and drives the white king where it wants to go. 26...Raf8 instead is very strong indeed, probably winning.
    When black played Qh5+ hewas in real bad time trouble, and I was rather please with it as white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I would have played 12.Ne1 so that I also have activity on the kingside when the inevitable ...f5 break comes.
    A good point, I kind of thought 12. h3 was better because it became necessary on move 13, but 12.Ne1 is clearly better
    Last edited by EGOR; 01-08-2006 at 02:51 PM.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

  4. #4
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,388
    What was the time control?
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  5. #5
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    What was the time control?
    30 moves in 75min, then 30min to finish.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

  6. #6
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,977
    How can Black improve the position of his peices in the final position? A very tough question to answer, however White clearly can improve the position of his peices. Since Black has no mate, he will go crazy trying to find a way to improve his position, or play a mate that isnt there, White will counter attack and win. White is better in the final position.

  7. #7
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangafranga
    How can Black improve the position of his peices in the final position? A very tough question to answer, however White clearly can improve the position of his peices. Since Black has no mate, he will go crazy trying to find a way to improve his position, or play a mate that isnt there, White will counter attack and win. White is better in the final position.
    An interesting view, we came to a similar conclusion in out after game analysis, we got to a point where black had to keep checking white's king or be in big trouble from a counter attack. We ran out of time before we could work out if black had perpectual check or if there was other possible lines for black to follow.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

  8. #8
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    823
    Hi all,
    finaly getting back to this little thread I started long ago, hopefully I'l be more regular in future.
    this is a game I played last night at the St. George v Norths Big Board match. It was actually against another St. George player. There were far more St. G than Norths players so the left overs got paired up. I've put in some notes on my thoughts during the game. Anyone, please feel free to comment, give advice, ridicule and generally feed back on any part of the game or my notes.

    Event: Big Board
    Site: EGOR
    Date: 2006.11.28
    Round: 1
    White: 1524
    Black: 1242
    Result: 1/2 - 1/2

    PGN Viewer
     
    I hope people enjoy the game, and my notes.
    Last edited by EGOR; 29-11-2006 at 01:59 PM.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

  9. #9
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,388
    Thanks. I enjoyed analysing that game.

    3.Be2. Weird.

    Nothing wrong with 6...Nc6. Looks good to me actually because after he takes you are guaranteed a strong center.

    My first impulse was to play BxN because QxB lead to de and a piece for me. However, Bxh7+ followed by Qh4 looked really shacky. I started to work out if I could survive the possible mate threats, but them thought, "to much trouble", and took the bishop
    You reasoned correctly here as even if Bxh7+ does not lead to mate it still wins white a pawn.

    White should have played a3 on move 17 forcing you to take on c3 right away and then he could exploit your bad pawn structure. Your play with ...e3 etc from moves 17 to 21 appears to be really good. Yes on move 22. ...Rd5 was a big error and you should have played ...Rd7 with advantage.

    Yes White should have played 28.Rg1.

    The rook ending is tricky. Your first error was 32...cxb4 instead of 32...Rc2 winning a pawn. However after White's c5? (b5 is correct there) you were winning again, but your Kg7-h6-g5 plan is risky. In rook endings it is often the big pawn that matters; better to take your king over via f8 towards white's c-pawn and stop it. Even on move 41 you are still winning if ...Kf5 as then if he tries that Kc5-d6 nonsense you take on e5 and his king can't go to d6.

    White should have won the ending with the rook for the pawns easily but you put up the right sort of fight and got an instructive Swindle when white played 55.Kg5?? which gives you a draw.

    55.Kg7! would have won but I can see why he rejected it. He was probably thinking 55...h5 and then your king might cover his h-pawn after he takes your f-pawn. But he forgot something: he can gain time with his rook. Thus 55.Kg7 h5 56.Kxg6 Ke2 57.Rb1! (57.Rxe3?? only draws) h4 58.Kg5 h3 59.Kg4 f2 60.Kxh3 and white sacs rook for pawn (or whatever it promotes to) on f2 or f1, then plays Kg4, and the pawn moving two squares on its first move(!) puts it outside the black king's square.

    Nice save - more care with basic rook ending concepts needed.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 29-11-2006 at 04:23 PM.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  10. #10
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    823
    Hi Kevin,
    thankyou for your thoughtfully and very helpful reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    3.Be2. Weird.
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    White should have played a3 on move 17 forcing you to take on c3 right away and then he could exploit your bad pawn structure.
    I don't remember concidering a3 while I was play. I don't think it would have bothered me a lot, I kind of saw the pawn on e4 as lost anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    The rook ending is tricky. Your first error was 32...cxb4 instead of 32...Rc2 winning a pawn. However after White's c5? (b5 is correct there) you were winning again, but your Kg7-h6-g5 plan is risky. In rook endings it is often the big pawn that matters; better to take your king over via f8 towards white's c-pawn and stop it. Even on move 41 you are still winning if ...Kf5 as then if he tries that Kc5-d6 nonsense you take on e5 and his king can't go to d6.
    I wish I'd seen either the Rc2 or Kf5 moves in the game, either could have very well given me the game. I'd accually rejected 41..Kf5 because I thought that I would have to go around the e5 pawn, going through it didn't cross my mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    White should have won the ending with the rook for the pawns easily but you put up the right sort of fight and got an instructive Swindle when white played 55.Kg5?? which gives you a draw.

    55.Kg7! would have won but I can see why he rejected it. He was probably thinking 55...h5 and then your king might cover his h-pawn after he takes your f-pawn. But he forgot something: he can gain time with his rook. Thus 55.Kg7 h5 56.Kxg6 Ke2 57.Rb1! (57.Rxe3?? only draws) h4 58.Kg5 h3 59.Kg4 f2 60.Kxh3 and white sacs rook for pawn (or whatever it promotes to) on f2 or f1, then plays Kg4, and the pawn moving two squares on its first move(!) puts it outside the black king's square.

    Nice save - more care with basic rook ending concepts needed.
    I thought it should be a win for white.
    The thing about this game for me is that I think I played the better game for most of it. (against a player 300 rating points higher) It's those few important moves that I miss that make the difference.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

  11. #11
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40,388
    Quote Originally Posted by EGOR
    The thing about this game for me is that I think I played the better game for most of it. (against a player 300 rating points higher) It's those few important moves that I miss that make the difference.
    I would say that you played quite above your rating in that game. It is not obvious playing through it that one player outrates the other.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

    ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

    My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

  12. #12
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I would say that you played quite above your rating in that game. It is not obvious playing through it that one player outrates the other.
    Thank you.
    Dyslexics of the world untie

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thanks Jenni
    By JohnH in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 01:59 PM
  2. The Cordover Primary Schools Championships of Victoria
    By Bereaved in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 400
    Last Post: 13-11-2005, 03:27 PM
  3. Junior performance and training
    By auriga in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 20-12-2004, 09:34 PM
  4. The role of clubs in chess
    By chesslover in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 06:00 PM
  5. firegoats clowns
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 206
    Last Post: 27-01-2004, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •