Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Off-topic Bin

debated moved to Gaza and religious terrorism thread on politics forum
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Catholic Church dubbed neighbour from hell

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    For those wondering the expedition I went on was quite successful; I recorded a pretty good diversity of species (17) for the area but it doesn't look like I found any new species this time. My best find was a snail that was 52 km from the nearest previous record of its species. These days with the amount of mapping I have done, extensions of that size do not happen often.
    That 52km is nothing, I found a leech once about 5200km away from previous record of its species - I was in Singapore Airlines over the South China Sea and the so and so was sucking my leg and about 52mm long. Well it eventually got sucked out of those vacuum toilets and got sky diving lessons.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    The difference is that in my case most likely the reason for the range extension is that the species' natural range is larger than previously thought. Your case doesn't point to any such thing; it is just an example of translocation of a species outside its natural range by humans - and most likely a failed translocation at that.

While our friend is enjoying his 2 month vacation, here are some links to help him with his latest hobby:-

Suicides

Holocaust

More information on a death he already knows about.

An analogy in the spirit of AC

I am posting this here instead of the Global Warming thread, because I am going to be a bit naughty and make an analogy in the spirit of A/C and his Israel/Palestine analogies.

A while ago in the shoutbox, Road Runner (or Boris as he was at the time) claimed not to believe that there had ever been any false predictions by climate scientists in support of global warming, unless I could come up with an example. I duly mentioned an obvious false prediction ("In 10 years children won't know what snow is"), but (despite this being a prediction made by a climate scientist at the University of East Anglia in 2000), RR refused to accept this as a prediction unless it was published in a peer reviewed journal.

OK.

So (and this is my analogy, I am slowly getting there!), people with certain beliefs claim that Islam is a Religion of Peace, with just a handful of bad apple terrorists unjustly giving the rest of them a bad name. But you never see wholesale Muslim condemnation of terror attacks. This rarity of Muslims criticising Muslim terror attacks helps me to think that Islam is a very bad religion indeed.

On the same note (the other half of my analogy!) how do the global warming followers feel about the more apocalyptic predictions made on their behalf. For example the snow prediction, or Robin "100 metres" Williams, or Tim "Show me the money" Flannery? Do they believe these predictions or not, and if not do they say so publicly?

Possibly I am looking in the wrong places, I admit that I look at skeptical sites a lot more often than I look at alarmist sites, but I don't recall reading rejections of these predictions by mainstream climate scientists.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    Possibly I am looking in the wrong places, I admit that I look at skeptical sites a lot more often than I look at alarmist sites, but I don't recall reading rejections of these predictions by mainstream climate scientists.
    I don't know if this counts but the guy who said the snow thing (David Viner) is no longer at the Climatic Research Unit at UEA. In fact he doesn't seem to be at UEA at all.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    A while ago in the shoutbox, Road Runner (or Boris as he was at the time) claimed not to believe that there had ever been any false predictions by climate scientists in support of global warming, unless I could come up with an example. I duly mentioned an obvious false prediction ("In 10 years children won't know what snow is"), but (despite this being a prediction made by a climate scientist at the University of East Anglia in 2000), RR refused to accept this as a prediction unless it was published in a peer reviewed journal.
    Rather than engaging you in this thread on this issue, I propose that you return to any of a handful of your unsubstantiated claims, and subsequent abandoned dialogues when called on such, on the relevant thread for the subject.
    meep meep

Carmel Myers

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0616659/bio

Date of Birth
    4 April 1899, San Francisco, California, USA

Date of Death
    9 November 1980, Los Angeles, California, USA (heart attack)

Though she is little remembered today, silent screen star Carmel Myers had a high-flying career in her heyday and was ranked among the screen's most glamorous and enticing vamps. She was born at the turn of the century in San Francisco, the daughter of immigrant parents. Her father, a rabbi, emigrated from Australia and her mother from Austria. Her older brother, Zion Myers, would grow up to become a successful writer and director in Hollywood. The family moved to Los Angeles when she was in her early teens and her father, an acquaintance of director D.W. Griffith, advised Griffith on the biblical scenes for his movie Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (1916), for which Carmel received a bit role as a dancer.

Dabbled in poetry. Her other hobbies included swimming, tennis and chess.

For everyone's edification, a couple of important stories in the news lately:

Footy player woke up gay after stroke

and

Compo payout for woman injured during sex on work trip

[Moved from right to privacy thread - mod]

chess, as in life, is what you can get away with. For example, only last week in Woollies I seen the sign ""CAshews and Macadamias 400 gm $6"", I thought that is pretty cheap so I grabbed half a dozen of Maccas that were there and headed for checkout. The checkout chick said no way Jose and guided me to complaints desk. I had already yanked the price tag from the stall. They agreed with me and gave them all to me, heavens know how for about $3 a packet.

Now lo and behold I fooled myself and them as well, one of my sayings in chess actaully. Went back this week to check and it refers to a mixed bag they have there with mostly cashews. Those maccas should not have been there. I think another shopper had offloaded them there to pick up the cheaper mix.

Well if Mirza could gotten away with it then good on him. We have seen Scott and a Sydney player getting away with Kings checking themselves, so the sky is the limit.
    KB thanks for not just deleting, you are a champ)
    Last edited by antichrist; 27-07-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I got a steak for 90% off once. Label for the weight had misprinted by a decimal place so instead of x00 g it had been calculated as if the steak weighed x0 g. Wasn't averse to buying it at normal price anyway so just took it to the counter with other stuff and lo and behold attendant didn't notice anything odd and I got a 45c steak.

The thing is, taking advantage of a store's pricing or shelving errors isn't illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I got a steak for 90% off once. Label for the weight had misprinted by a decimal place so instead of x00 g it had been calculated as if the steak weighed x0 g. Wasn't averse to buying it at normal price anyway so just took it to the counter with other stuff and lo and behold attendant didn't notice anything odd and I got a 45c steak.

The thing is, taking advantage of a store's pricing or shelving errors isn't illegal.
    but I learn in ethics in 1976 that if I was to change that label I would be committing a crime of fraud maybe it was.
    Last edited by antichrist; 27-07-2013 at 10:16 PM.

from Senior Champs thread

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
    I think the price for you, AC, would be your soul.

Bubbles
    I dont think A/C has a soul.

AC: on this very topic there was a major scientific conference about 100 or 200 years ago, surgeons did operations specifically to check out if there was a soul, and if not they could operate with abandon. The verdict was in my favour.

No soul means no body either!
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Thread Information