Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: Off-topic Bin

from DEtox

KB
    Denis (whose name is really not that difficult to spell!) posted that post at 4:09 pm on 9 Jan. Far from being several days after it as stoopid claims, my next post to this thread was at 5:46 pm the same day, followed by another four before midnight. There was then a gap of nearly three days, which would not have been suspicious even without the other five given that my long-term average on this thread is about a post every second day.

AC
    the bold section means you posted 5 in five hours, i.e., more wasting of your precious life responding to guys who know they have to make on off beat stupid comment and you will research and bark accordingly, all over nothing of importance and nobody cares about.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    AC
    the bold section means you posted 5 in five hours,
    Looks like you've joined the Tool in remedial kindy-maths classes there since the time between 5:46 pm and midnight is in fact six hours and 14 minutes and therefore your claim above is wrong. The final post of the five was indeed made at 11:57 pm; furthermore, none of the posts was all that long.

I expect that anyone who spent their every waking hour trying to contribute something significant to some idealistic notion of humanity and never mucked about with something of little significance would be a very boring and one-dimensional sort of person. Really, how I spend any part of my "precious life" is none of your business; it is mine to do with what I will.

However since replying to you is certainly a waste of time by your own arguments then I should simply ban you so I don't spend time replying to you.

today being Chinese New YEar I thought that celebrating that in approp thread on topic was spot on - talk about can't win
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

today being Chinese New YEar I thought that celebrating that in approp thread on topic was spot on - talk about can't win
    Quite aside from the banality of the post with which you bumped it (verging on a cultural insult in my book) you are also banned from bumping threads before 2006 because of your previous record creating attempts.

You were lucky not to get banned for it and given that you have whinged about something you were lucky not to get banned for, you are now banned from complaining about CC moderation in any way on any forum for the rest of January.

from ACF leaks thread

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Who's the creationist in this discussion?

BTW the incidence of shark attacks in Aus is rising rather alarmingly. Becoming shark bait is not a good idea if one want one's first life to be long.
    AC
    but if it helps us reach our second life earlier then bring it on!

who was the Creationist by the way?

http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=12723&page=14
    for Euthanasia thread if re opened

I read that doctors, knowing the reality that we will not always have a quality of life, according to a professor they often have a tatoo or sign on chain not to revive them, apparent called ""no Code"" dont understand the wording yet. is mentioned here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00091-0085.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I actually don't - my formal qualifications are:

* BA (Philosophy/Political Science double major)
    * Graduate Diploma of Environmental Studies with Honours
    * PhD (Department of Geography and Environmental Studies)

My PhD was a combination of biogeography and taxonomy. I've been able to get away with it as a qualification in zoology where needed for work purposes.
    But I still enjoy giving you the occassional uppercut in your double major, ethics is your slight weakness
    Last edited by antichrist; 04-02-2012 at 04:20 PM.

But I still enjoy giving you the occassional uppercut in your double major, ethics is your slight limitness
    You enjoy making simpleminded attempts to troll me in other words.

As it happens the view I reached during said studies is that the notion of moral/ethical truth (such that all rational agents are rationally obliged to act in a certain ethical way) is complete nonsense. Ethics is a subjective matter and some people find things "ethical" that others do not. I think that seen from the standpoint of someone who piously claimed to consistently support a lengthy list of what they claimed to be "ethical" behaviour, some of the things I do would seem extremely ethical, others not at all and some in between. I'm comfortable with this because it is not my mission in life to consistently live up to the expectations of tryhards.

Furthermore, courses assess people's understanding of concepts, not whether or not people put them into practice in their lives in any particular way.

As it happens the view I reached during said studies is that the notion of moral/ethical truth (such that all rational agents are rationally obliged to act in a certain ethical way) is complete nonsense. Ethics is a subjective matter and some people find things "ethical" that others do not. I think that seen from the standpoint of someone who piously claimed to consistently support a lengthy list of what they claimed to be "ethical" behaviour, some of the things I do would seem extremely ethical, others not at all and some in between. I'm comfortable with this because it is not my mission in life to consistently live up to the expectations of tryhards.

Furthermore, courses assess people's understanding of concepts, not whether or not people put them into practice in their lives in any particular way.
    I suspected that you were not following the "orthodox'' line.

When logic and reasoning are applied to ethical issues is there more consistency of opinion of what is ethical behaviour?

When logic and reasoning are applied to ethical issues is there more consistency of opinion of what is ethical behaviour?
    The application of reason to claimed ethical beliefs can often show that some such beliefs are not internally consistent, or that some such beliefs are founded on false empirical assumptions. So it can help weed out some of the sillier claims but that doesn't get us very far towards consensus.

So if they cannot be consensus on ethics how does society decide laws? Where one's rights begin another person's freedom stops - is that lowest common denominator (that we cannot even agree upon) the best we can do?

But this cannot be extended to parents who want to let their children die (peacefully via drugs) because of the infant''s child extreme health problems (mentally/physically) ? Even though the parents have the right to severely abuse children via strong religious indoctrination.
    Last edited by antichrist; 05-02-2012 at 05:57 AM.

I've moved most of the discussion arising from my reply to the existing euthanasia/mercy killing thread, which has been reopened but will remain so only while AC does not use it as a dumping ground for comments about general disability issues.

The only bit I didn't move was:

So if they cannot be consensus on ethics how does society decide laws?
    Laws are decided through political processes in which those views on ethics that have the most influence as recognised by political structures determine the laws. Often a law will be supported because people with a wide variety of ethical beliefs - and those who are not basing their support on ethical arguments at all - band together to support a given law. And note that this problem is the same when people generally agree that there is an objective ethical system but can't work out what it is, as when most people don't think there is an objective ethical system.

By the way your post was deleted not because it was trolling (although it was that too) but because it was a complaint about moderation posted outside the moderation discussion thread. Your second post was deleted for the same thing plus incorrect triumphalism as you had misconstrued the reason for deletion.

Compulsory Toolies

In Western Australia anyway:-

Compulsory Toolies
    Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

from coming and goings and high in de clouds while guru molests children

Quote Originally Posted by george
    Hi all,

Off on a yoga / meditation trip to India in a few hours finishing off with a two day hike in foothills of himalayas.

Be back 1st of march.
    well my chess mate did that a few years ago and I said "what and whoa"" but off he went. He come back all beaming with enlightenment, until I burst his bubble. Coz lo & behold, a few nights before on Four Corners they had exposed that Baba chap, his mediation guru as sexually molesting the young children of adults high in de clouds on meditation. He has not mentioned it since.

We have meditation here by the semi-trailer full, fleeces their money it does. And from what I see from my chess mates it does not improve their chess at all.

I wouldn't judge all yoga/meditation groups by that dreadful fraud Sai Baba.

From language thread (though I might move it from there for being off-topic soon) :

I went OTT on Palestinian issue, calling the Israeli's forces Nazis, of course there was reaction to this when I had that poster in newspaper showing Star of David and Swastika. Well now about 15 years later I read book by Israeli intellectual that 60 years ago Jewish liberals in Israel also called the Israeli army ""Judeo-Nazis"" and said Israel was committing genocide against the Palestinians. Just as I had claimed.
    Just because Jewish "liberals" had used similar labels and made similar claims doesn't mean their claims were appropriate and nor does it legitimise yours.

Thread Information