• Original Conan Stories - Robert E Howard

1 9.09%
  • Books of the Cataclysm - Sean Williams

0 0%
  • Song of Ice and Fire - George RR Martin

3 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Opinions on Game of Thrones final season?

I hope that enough days have passed since the very final episode so there will be no spoiler problems. The main things were the Daenerys story and surprising winner of the ‘game’.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Spoilers

I thought it was a pretty solid ending, nowhere as bad as the online nerd rage is making out. All the people giving the episodes 1/10 need to get a grip. Even if you didn't like the way the story went, I don't think there is any denying how well executed the show was.

I thought many of the characters had good story arcs and endings. Some didn't. Some of the interesting storylines kind of went nowhere, Eg faceless men disguise thing, Arya pretty much forgot about being able to do that after she took care of the Frays, what, 2 seasons ago? Theon's redemption was excellent. Jorah had a good ending. The Hound, I'm mixed about.

Parts of Bran were good; Eg where there had been foreshadowing of the importance of the dagger throughout the seasons, and it changing hands under the weirwood tree. Other parts just kind of went nowhere. The Night King confrontation was a fizzer. When he worged during the battle of winterfell. He kind of did not much apart from sit around and say "I knew that was going to happen".

I though Jaime's ending was a fitting one. He had a solid farewell with his brother. He closed the arc with Brienne, and died with the love of his life. Cersei escaped justice, but she didn't win.

Daenerys I thought it was great, it was jaw dropping moment when she burned the city. Excellent TV. I thought the unwitting reaction of her armies a little suspect. I can understand that the dothraki don't care about burning cities (shouldn't they all be dead after the Winterfell charge anyway?), but the unsullied maybe should have been in 2 minds about whether she was righteous. At the very least she should have been cautious about backlash from the Westerosies - she let Tyrion, Jon, Arya etc close to her. The one thing I wanted heading into the last episode was for someone to kill her. She should have known that was on the cards. I liked that she went mad, but felt it could have been executed better.

Jon was pretty disappointing, he seemed to lose his character into Daenerys' shadow. He had always been righteous, even at great cost to himself.

The choosing of the king at the end didn't seem real to me. Why wouldn't each kingdom just rule itself. I like the small council meeting at the end. Very well done. Davos had a good ending. I was expecting some sort of treachery from Bronn at the end, didn't happen.

I was re-watching seasons 1-7 before the final season and so much of the ending was foreshadowed.

I think in general once the show left the books behind, the wit and political side of it suffered. Seasons 7-8 were not as good. They needed Martin's source material. I can't wait to read the remaining books - I think we will get a better conclusion.
    Last edited by road runner; 23-05-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    meep meep

Good thoughts above ↑↑

While Daenerys had shown some cruelty before (as Tyrion recounted to Jon), there wasn't the wholesale slaughter of civilians after the enemy armies had already surrendered. She definitely needed killing after she made it clear that she wanted to ‘liberate’ other cities, and that only she would decide what is ‘good’.

Yes, after Sansa declared independence for the North, why didn't the leaders of Dorne and the others demand the same?

Why didn't the fanatical killer castrati summarily execute Jon after he assassinated their queen to whom they gave unquestioned obedience? Instead they kept him in prison while the leaders of the other great houses travelled to the council. Understood that John had to be severely punished to appease the castrati, but once they had sailed to Naath, why not recall Jon, since he would be a good conscience for the new ruling council?

What army does the new king have to enforce his laws?

Arya is a fighter of noble blood, so what is she doing as a Columbus or Magellan instead of being part of the guard of her brother, King Bran, or sister, Queen Sansa?
    Last edited by Capablanca-Fan; 25-05-2019 at 08:21 AM.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Good thoughts above ↑↑

While Daenerys had shown some cruelty before (as Tyrion recounted to Jon), there wasn't the wholesale slaughter of civilians after the enemy armies had already surrendered. She definitely needed killing after she made it clear that she wanted to ‘liberate’ other cities, and that only she would decide what is ‘good’.

Yes, after Sansa declared independence for the North, why didn't the leaders of Dorne and the others demand the same?

Why didn't the fanatical killer castrati summarily execute Jon after he assassinated their queen to whom they gave unquestioned obedience? Instead they kept him in prison while the leaders of the other great houses travelled to the council. Understood that John had to be severely punished to appease the castrati, but once they had sailed to Naath, why not recall Jon, since he would be a good conscience for the new ruling council?

What army does the new king have to enforce his laws?

Arya is a fighter of noble blood, so what is she doing as a Columbus or Magellan instead of being part of the guard of her brother, King Bran, or sister, Queen Sansa?
    Are we talking about Trump and the Republican Party here? As they say no one could write a good a script as that.
    Last edited by antichrist; 25-05-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Zionism is racism as defined by the UN, Israel by every dirty means available steals land and water, kill Palestinian freedom fighters and civilians, and operates an apartheid system to drive more Palestinians off their land

Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    Good thoughts above ↑↑

Yes this is true. The irony being with all the slow build up of her preparing to come to Westeros over so many years, in the end her character twist was somewhat rushed, its foreshadowing notwithstanding.

Why didn't the fanatical killer castrati summarily execute Jon after he assassinated their queen to whom they gave unquestioned obedience? Instead they kept him in prison while the leaders of the other great houses travelled to the council.
    Yes execution would have made sense. But how did the unsullied even know she was dead? Jon could have just told them she flew off on her dragon and they'd have been none the wiser. There were no witnesses.

I expected Tyrion to be summarily executed for his open act of defiance as well.

Understood that John had to be severely punished to appease the castrati, but once they had sailed to Naath, why not recall Jon, since he would be a good conscience for the new ruling council?
    Yes I expect after a time at the Wall he could quite easily move to better lodgings in the North as a lord.

So much of Arya's tactics bothered me. I mean she's a trained assassin and master of disguise, and she doesn't use any of those skills to get close to the Queen. How about impersonate a Lanister soldier and take the Hound prisoner and use that to get an audience with Cersei? How about using the faceless trick to outflank Littlefinger when that was going on? Or just something creative.

One other thing I did like but forgot to mention earlier was the Lord of Light followers all converged to get Arya in front of the night King. I thought that was very good, fulfilment of the Lord of Light's ultimate plan.
    meep meep

Quote Originally Posted by road runner View Post
    Yes this is true. The irony being with all the slow build up of her preparing to come to Westeros over so many years, in the end her character twist was somewhat rushed, its foreshadowing notwithstanding.
    One can go back in the series and see that, but no real need since Tyrion reminded Jon of a number of previous atrocities that had either been cheered or at least tolerated because of the so-called greater good of having a benevolent ruler. The totally needless genocide of King's Landing was still a huge change.

The actor playing Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) compared it to the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but this doesn't make sense. Whatever one's thoughts of the nuking of Japan, it was done when Japan was still fighting furiously in Asia, and the last months of the war were especially brutal with 250,000 people, mainly Asians, being killed every month the war was prolonged. But Cersei's forces had already surrendered and rung the bells to make it official.

Yes execution would have made sense. But how did the unsullied even know she was dead? Jon could have just told them she flew off on her dragon and they'd have been none the wiser. There were no witnesses.
    Good point. Enough high up people knew that he was Dany's lover and some knew that he was the rightful heir, so he could have claimed that Dany left her in charge, and become king in all but name.

I expected Tyrion to be summarily executed for his open act of defiance as well.
    Yes, especially by the bloodthirsty castrato army, who never got enough killing to satisfy them.

So much of Arya's tactics bothered me. I mean she's a trained assassin and master of disguise, and she doesn't use any of those skills to get close to the Queen. How about impersonate a Lanister soldier and take the Hound prisoner and use that to get an audience with Cersei? How about using the faceless trick to outflank Littlefinger when that was going on? Or just something creative.
    True enough. The way she got to Walder Frey and then his family was uncanny, but then after that, she was just plain Arya.

One other thing I did like but forgot to mention earlier was the Lord of Light followers all converged to get Arya in front of the night King. I thought that was very good, fulfilment of the Lord of Light's ultimate plan.
    Agreed.

I finished my second viewing of S08, so now my watch has ended. What do we say to the god of continuing foxtel sub? Not today!

Looking forward to Netflix's The Witcher season now.
    meep meep

Thread Information