Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

With friends like the Americans ...

I get really mad when i c Australians in trouble and our government 2 weak 2 help them lik this http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...7/s1691375.htm . I go off completely when our "good friends" in the "coalition of the willing" dont help us out when clearly they could with this effort http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d34&refer=home

We are on our own and we clearly need to tell the USA 2 take a hike.

CC FIDE Master

yeah

I agree that the Australian rescue effort in Lebanon has been pathetic.

Another thing is that the USA would have surely known that something was going to hit the fan. Maybe they didn't know the whys and wherfores but they knew that the asylum was waking up. So why didn't they share that information with us so we could redirect some boats to the action? They plonk PINE GAP upon us and make us a target. Then they tell us bugger all.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    bullseye

CC International Master

beirut airport

I saw a report from a middle east expert currently in Iraq where he said that the
    Beirut airport is not used to bring in supplies for the Hezbollah but Syrian airports are used.

The Israelis knew this when they wrecked the Beirut airport. I suspect this was done to gain maximum propaganda value from the plight of foreign nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude
    I saw a report from a middle east expert currently in Iraq where he said that the
    Beirut airport is not used to bring in supplies for the Hezbollah but Syrian airports are used.

The Israelis knew this when they wrecked the Beirut airport. I suspect this was done to gain maximum propaganda value from the plight of foreign nationals.
    I would like to believe it but who realy knows when the first casualty of war is truth. One thing I do know is that you can always count childens dead bodies. Who will ever put Israeli commanders (and Hezbbollah and PLO etc) on war crimes charges.

Account Permanently Banned Arrogant-One's Avatar

People going into troubled places!

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter
    I would like to believe it but who realy knows when the first casualty of war is truth. One thing I do know is that you can always count childens dead bodies. Who will ever put Israeli commanders (and Hezbbollah and PLO etc) on war crimes charges.
    We mustn't forget that when people (including Australians) put themselves in danger by travelling to these places in the first place, we cannot have much sympathy for them when things go wrong.

Shappelle Corby is another example of the same principle.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

another small step towards inevitibility

the inevitable long term answer ,sadly, is a single govt global police state,where any disturbance of the "status quo" will be eliminated immediately

Just like Bobby Fischer!

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    the inevitable long term answer ,sadly, is a single govt global police state,where any disturbance of the "status quo" will be eliminated immediately
    Possibly.

I am still getting over the fact that there actually WAS a Soviet conspiracy to stop Bobby Fischer from becoming World Chess Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One
    We mustn't forget that when people (including Australians) put themselves in danger by travelling to these places in the first place, we cannot have much sympathy for them when things go wrong.
    Maybe, maybe. Their intentions are important. eg Sporting rep, business, join army, see dieing rello, carpet bagging ....

I think we should assume that our nationals are "innocent " first and pull them out now, and ask questions later.

Good point

Maybe, maybe. Their intentions are important. eg Sporting rep, business, join army, see dieing rello, carpet bagging ....

I think we should assume that our nationals are "innocent " first and pull them out now, and ask questions later.
    True enough, good point!

I meant the Australian's who, by all criterion, are really residents of Lebanon and living in Lebanon, but who now only want to leave because of the erupting violence (and who would likely return once things settle down).

I don't know how much the Australian govt really owes those citizens abroad.

We can contrast this with citizens who may have went to Lebanon for holiday and just got caught up in the violence by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One
    Possibly.

I am still getting over the fact that there actually WAS a Soviet conspiracy to stop Bobby Fischer from becoming World Chess Champion!
    Its a bit like the conspiracy stopping the master grasshopper becoming president of the CAQ !!

:) A funny co-incidence perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeL
    Its a bit like the conspiracy stopping the master grasshopper becoming president of the CAQ !!

Well, ironically enough Powell who voted in support of the non-confidence motion ousting me now holds my old position and is likely to take over as president when the current prima donna cuts himself loose at year's end.

However, that will be a good thing for Qld Chess.

CC International Master

A dodgy but interesting stat or another sad joke

If you consider that there have been an average of 160,000 troops fighting
    in Iraq during the last 22 months, and a total of 2112 deaths, that gives a
    firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000.

The rate in Washington D.C. is 80.6 per 100,000. That means that you are about 25% more likely to be shot and killed in America's Capitol, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in
    America, than you are in Iraq.
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

Quote Originally Posted by bergil
    If you consider that there have been an average of 160,000 troops fighting
    in Iraq during the last 22 months, and a total of 2112 deaths, that gives a
    firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000.

The rate in Washington D.C. is 80.6 per 100,000. That means that you are about 25% more likely to be shot and killed in America's Capitol, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in
    America, than you are in Iraq.
    Yeah, I got that chain email too. Makes no sense though.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Thread Information