1. h4 - What are the main disadvantages?

No, that wasn't a typing mistake, I really mean h4. I've played through a lot of games recently (by myself), and each time h4 wins it. I normally follow it up by Nf3.

I know the main disadvantage is no control of the center, but I think the potential control of the Kingside sorta compensates for it.

So, what are your thoughts about the opening h4?

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah
    No, that wasn't a typing mistake, I really mean h4. I've played through a lot of games recently (by myself), and each time h4 wins it. I normally follow it up by Nf3.

I know the main disadvantage is no control of the center, but I think the potential control of the Kingside sorta compensates for it.

So, what are your thoughts about the opening h4?
    i've actually played 1.h4 in few 15 minute games, and sometimes i throw it up in a friendly game... i've had wins with it, although most of them would have been against lower rated players... i normally follow it up with b3, Bb2, e3, h5 etc... the advantage of it is that there is no theory, and if black castles kingside, you have already pushed one of the attacking pawns, although i don't think that will happen too often... i don't think that there is really that big of a disadvantage as it is just another move and it all depends how you continue playing... in summary it is just a first move, and the result of the game will depend on how both players play the rest of the game...

perhaps we could create a name of an opening for 1.h4, any ideas??? i'll have a think about it...

It has a name; the Kadas Opening, Despres, or the Reagen Attack (considering Reagen was a bad President/1. h4 is a bad opening) (seriousl, I read that on Wikipedia)

CC Grandmaster
    I believe there was an Australian player (moderately strong - maybe 1900?) who used to play a4 a5 h4 h5 quite often.

If you think your opponent relies very heavily on playing in familiar positions and openings it might be worth the gamble of 1.h4. But you better know what you're doing with it, and don't bet the house!

That is the famous Alcantara Attack.

AR

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=1379

I sometimes play 1.h4 in blitz. If an opponent beats it I drop it; if they lose to it I keep playing it against them. Managed 15 wins in a row (spread over several months) with it against an opponent of c.1700 strength.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar

AR

"Famous" LOL

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    "Famous" LOL
    if my memory serves me right, i beat you with 1.h4 in a blitz game at mcc two saturdays ago...

CC Grandmaster
    Domagoi, If my memory serves me right...there is not an opening left...in which i have not defeated you in blitz yet

Thread Information