13 15.48%
  • Addicted and disgustipated.

4 4.76%
  • Addicted and loving it!

8 9.52%
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca-Fan View Post
    How about relying on actual evidence, as well as allowing people freedom to do what they want when it comes to what to inhale? Clearly the vaping has helped people quit who didn't manage with all the government anti-smoking programs.
    Nonsense! The piece you quoted says: "A new study has found that of the more than 160,000 people who had quit smoking, nearly 50 per cent had tried e-cigarettes." It doesn't say when they tried e-cigarettes - it could have been after they quit, or before they started. It also doesn't say that they quit because of e-cigarettes.

I think e-cigarettes can help people to quit (which is what the study actually says). But they should supplement government programs, not replace them as Leyonhjelm is arguing.

And where is the evidence that Leyonhjelm opposes the evidence that smoking is harmful? This is very different from saying that the government should stop people vaping, while still allowing the more harmful smoking.
    I didn't say that he opposed the evidence that smoking is harmful; I said that he opposed health measures, which he does - he opposed plain packaging, for example, which has been an extremely successful health measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I think e-cigarettes can help people to quit (which is what the study actually says). But they should supplement government programs, not replace them as Leyonhjelm is arguing.
    Why should they? But then, you've never seen a government program that you don't like. And in Australia, the government is hindering what you now admit would help people quit smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Byrom View Post
    I didn't say that he opposed the evidence that smoking is harmful; I said that he opposed health measures, which he does - he opposed plain packaging, for example, which has been an extremely successful health measure.
    Actually, he opposes the government imposing plain packaging or imposing any kind of speech.

Where I disagree with some libertarians is that I regard smoking is an attack on the liberties of other people who don't want to breathe in their second-hand smoke.
    “If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.” — Abba Eban on the UN general assembly

“You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” — Obi-Wan Kenobi on the UN kakistocracy

CC Grandmaster
    Why should they? But then, you've never seen a government program that you don't like. And in Australia, the government is hindering what you now admit would help people quit smoking.
    Firstly, government programs have been extremely successful, so they should be continued. Not everyone wants to quit via e-cigarettes. Secondly, e-cigarettes may have unpleasant side-effects, or act as a 'gateway drug' to cigarettes. So it makes sense to initially restrict them to people who are already smokers. Thirdly, nicotine e-cigarettes are highly addictive, and I'm not convinced we need any more highly addictive drugs in the general population.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    10 years today, folks. One of us has done very well. Carry on.
    #sausagefree
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    #sausagefree
    Congrats.

#sausagefree
    Make it two guv'nor. Well, only a few days left till my anniversary.
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    Well done both of you!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ER View Post
    Make it two guv'nor. Well, only a few days left till my anniversary.
    Well done.

Well done, keep it going !

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Well done Howard! .. you are now, no longer, "the only smoker in the village!"

(You too Elliot!)

@Basil, your choice of the day to give up smoking closely coincides *(by one day) with the Black Saturday bushfires (Feb 7 2009) here in Victoria, where the 10 year commemorations were held today.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Thank you all!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

CC Grandmaster
    As someone who started smoking at the age of 13 yo and 3 months and gave up completely (never touched tobacco again) at the age of 13& 4 months - I probably hold the non-smoking record
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    As someone who started smoking at the age of 13 yo and 3 months and gave up completely (never touched tobacco again) at the age of 13& 4 months - I probably hold the non-smoking record
    Well I was never a real smoker so to speak but you Michael take the take!!! I mean 13yo!!!! I am sure some swift action by Mrs. or Mr. Baron or both, resulted in your career as a smoker to be cut short!!!
    ACF 3118316
    FIDE 3201457

Thread Information