Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Great Swindles of the 21st Century

We've all had 'em, we've all fallen victim to 'em - let's see some of 'em

To start the ball rolling, here is one of my favorites -
    Last edited by EZBeet; 13-07-2006 at 03:29 PM.

second attempt

Event: Gold Coast Championships
    Site: Robina Town Centre
    Date: 2004.6.28
    Round: 6
    Board: 7
    White: J Obst
    Black: J O'Brien
    White_Rating: 1891
    Black_Rating: 1620
    TimeControl: 3600 +10
    Result: 0-1

PGN Viewer

Swindle supreme, moves like 10 ...Qa5+ and 14 ...Nc6 should have lost me the game. As for 17 ...Rfe8 I grabbed the rook and was going to drop it on c8, then I saw the forks everywhere and had to settle for e8. 28 Rxe5 looks winning but 29 ...Rf6 came as a complete surprise for young Jimmy.
    Last edited by EZBeet; 13-07-2006 at 03:38 PM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    How many do you want?

Bonham - Frame, 2001 Tas Champs

I was on 2/3 and a loss would have put me almost out of contention. After this escape I won with 6.5/8.

PGN Viewer

Ledger - Bonham, Tas Open 2001

I'd just lost in round 1 for the first time in my last 20-something tournaments in a massive upset. Lose this puppy and it's 0/2 for me, so what do I do? Walk into a Greek Gift, expose my king into a dead lost position, allow my opponent the option of a queen swap, and ... win the game!

PGN Viewer

Bonham - Frame 2002 Tas Champs. To rub it in I got 6/6 in this.

PGN Viewer

Brown - Bonham 2002 Launceston Weekender. Victory from extremely lost rook ending in round 4 game against co-leader. 6/6 in this one too.

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 05-10-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Bonham - Myers 2002 Tas Open. All I need for outright first is a draw, while a loss is only good for second. A $200 swindle (I also swindled another draw earlier in the event).

PGN Viewer

Just to show that I can sometimes fall for them too, this one was exceptionally painful.

Bonham - Lucas 2003 Tas Champs. From an easily won position in which I could have been two pawns up, I go rook-hunting and walk into an en passant I'd forgotten about. But instead of being snuffed out on the spot, I get to miss lines leading to likely draws in the middlegame and then swap off into an OCB endgame with even pawns ... which turns out, of course, to be hopelessly lost. I'd already lost a game so this put me out of business for that one.

PGN Viewer

Bonham - Lin, Mt Buller 2005.

I'd picked an offbeat opening and my young junior opponent (a) knew more theory than I did (b) quickly gained a 40-minute lead on the clock (c) refused my draw offer despite being lower-rated (d) acquired a won position after I blundered ...

and fortunately (e) with 1 hr 22 plus one minute per move add-on on the clock, spent about 30 seconds playing 29...f5 losing instead of 29...f6 winning. Phew!

PGN Viewer

Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 29-10-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Chadwick - Bonham, Tas Open 2005

Final round game with me needing a win for =1st. I not only lose my queen for rook, but after swindling my way back from there, blunder into a lost position again, but still win in a rather unusual way.

PGN Viewer

What happened was that when White offered his final draw he had two seconds left on his clock. Since he had declined my draw offer earlier while in time trouble, I declined his, reasoning that if he managed to stop the clock within two seconds and claim a 10.2 he could have it. As it turned out in the heat of battle he'd forgotten 10.2 existed.

and this shows how badly I can play and what I can fall for in a G60 when I've been up watching the World Cup final and have only got 2 hours sleep.

J O'Mara - Bonham, 2006 HICC One Hour. I was basically waiting for him to lose on time or on the board since he seemed doomed on either and then I was taken aback by the threats created by the swindle try 37.Nf3 and promptly threw away a rook! (As he was down to his last minute or two I salvaged half a point.)

PGN Viewer

(Those will do for now, I have literally dozens more!)

KB's quite the swindler!

I just leafed through all the tournament games I've ever played and there is only one true massive comeback I have performed.. I play very solidly in long time controls despite a real penchant for swindles in lightning.

Daryl Johansen remarked to me after the game that my opponent 'did everything in his power to lose that game', lucky me.

As it was the first round and my opponent was only rated about 1000 I gave him no respect at all and was very fortunate to win.

PGN Viewer

"I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Bonham - Frame, 2001 Tas Champs
    Yes. Ahem. I'll need some time before I can have a look at the others
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

KB, you are one lucky son

i saw a friend of mine win a tournament game where his opponent had an extra rook and two passed pawns on the 6th. He pushed a pawn to the 7th and my friend mated him with his rook and last two pawns. Wish I had the score to that one.

can't get enough of these

Post your favourites and maybe we can have a poll after to find the BBs best swindler.

Quote Originally Posted by EZBeet
    KB, you are one lucky son

i saw a friend of mine win a tournament game where his opponent had an extra rook and two passed pawns on the 6th. He pushed a pawn to the 7th and my friend mated him with his rook and last two pawns. Wish I had the score to that one.

can't get enough of these

Post your favourites and maybe we can have a poll after to find the BBs best swindler.
    KB does have much more 'opportunity' for swindles since in Tas they play guillotine time controls

Thread Information