Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

TWIT = That's What I Thought

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    You don't know? That's what I thought.
    Ta. It wasn't an obvious one.
    Just be careful not to get the digits around the wrong way with people's ratings! (Though with mine, the majority of variations of 1555 are still 1555!)
    God exists. Short and to the point.

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski
    Ta. It wasn't an obvious one.
    Just be careful not to get the digits around the wrong way with people's ratings! (Though with mine, the majority of variations of 1555 are still 1555!)
    I think you are mistaken. If you consider all the three 5's to be distinct then you have 4! = 24 permutations of which six are 1555 and eighteen are other numbers (see below). If you consider the 5's to be indistinct then the way you would ask it is as follows

Q: you have one numeral of the type "1" and three numerals of type "5" what is the total number of distinct permutations using all four numerals?

A: 4! / (1! x 3!) = 4
    which are

In this case, all incorrect permutations would be favourable to you but also so large as to be obviously wrong (being approximately double the next highest rating)
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I stand corrected

I stand (well, sit really) corrected, RW. I thought the flippant comment was wrong soon after I posted...Obviously, too long since I studied permutations and combinations!

But I'll happily accept any variation of my rating with the same 4 digits!!

Secretary of, and regularly arbiter at, Rooty Hill RSL Chess Club. See www.rootyhillchessclub.org.

Psephological insight. "Controversial will only lose you votes. Courageous will lose you the election." Sir Humphrey Appleby on Yes Minister.

Favorite movie line: Girl friend Cathy to Jack Ryan in "Sum of all Fears". "What kind of emergency does an historian have?".

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind

In this case, all incorrect permutations would be favourable to you but also so large as to be obviously wrong (being approximately double the next highest rating)
    try ICC or Yahoo! Chess

CC International Master Miranda's Avatar
    I have a new thing to add to the CC vocab:

PUWICITM (pink unicorn which is currently invisible to me)

First used by Boris
    It's time for man to enter the Solar System - Dan Quayle

Better add then:

PBUH peace be unto her
    BBHHH blessed be her holy hooves
    MHHNBS may her hooves never be shod

- IPU Scriptures

Bbhwcitnotl

Also better add BBHWCITNOTL - Blessed be He who comes in the name of the Lord. i might start to use that.

"sf" in thread titles

This means "split from" and then names the thread from which this message came.

it does?
    never say never
    (even when the position is hopeless)

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by chesstash
    it does?
    Yep. TTBOMK (To the best of my knowledge)

i wish to recommend further bans to the words

- juxtapose (a minor pinnacle of florid language)
    - bete noire (its french, so go figure. plus anathema is perfectly suitable and even anathema has borderline suitability to almost all conversation.)
    - remiss (some of the most convoluted and superfluous conversations ive been witness to have involved sub standard individuals using this "traitor to the kings english".)
    - lament (musicians like to use this word repeatedly. musicians who usually have no talent. the first 4 letters are also a major hint as to its worthiness.)
    - nomenclature (when used by people outside of technical fields. its like watching a car crash when in the possession of the uninitiated.)

its not that ive read them on this site often. i just recommend that steering clear of conversations involving these words is advantageous.
    especially if these words are those that only come up in conversation with your best buddys at mensa.

congratulations for banning paradigm. sensible decision that one.

inner peace is the reward. i am the light. hoot hoot.
    Last edited by Redmond Barry; 27-03-2009 at 06:28 AM.
    Ruin is formal, devil's work,
    Consecutive and slow -
    Fail in an instance no man did,
    Slipping - is Crash's law,

i saw 2 bumper stickers on a ford ute the other day and feel obliged to make an addition to the list of acronyms.

i.y.d.l.i.l. - if you dont love it leave. (something jingoistic for the palette)

f.o.w.f. - expletitive off were full (more pauline support)

im not sure these would be suitable for website usage.

i was just bringing attention to what kind of patriotic advertising rednecks were indoctrinating the vehicular going public these days.

obviously the ute had obscenely large spotties and the obligatory half dozen bundy rum stickers adorned on it.

and my suburb suddenly shows its class...........

hoot hoot
    Last edited by Redmond Barry; 28-03-2009 at 01:01 AM.
    Consecutive and slow -

Cripes, your first post incriminates more than assists me - and I'm not alone! No, not all your offerings qualify as they are intended for assistance with board specific vernacular, but all amusing nonetheless. Can I say 'nonetheless'?
    Last edited by Basil; 27-03-2009 at 06:11 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Duggan
    Cripes, your first post incriminates more than assist me - and I'm not alone! No, not all your offerings qualify as they are intended for assistance with board specific vernacular, but all amusing nonetheless. Can I say nonetheless?
    oh well, i must follow my dreams. whatever they may be.

(maybe cull my banned words exept bete noire. as long as there are no francophiles on the site this could be workable.)

Consecutive and slow -

CC International Master
    FTW: For the win!

example: Nah i'm buying a mac FTW!

Props: A compliment.

Example: Person 1: I just bowled a hattrick
    Person 2: PROPS to you!

Note: has many spelling variations.

GOI: Get over it
    IGOI: I'll get over it.
    Last edited by Saragossa; 27-03-2009 at 09:46 PM.
    And still, no one has satisfactorily proven, that it isn't opposite day.

Thread Information