Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar

Moulthun Ly at the World Open

Just browsing through the latest ChessBase news as you do, and what do I see?

Moulthun Ly, not only competing at the World Open in Philadelphia, but scoring 6 points, only 1 point behind the winner, Gata Kamsky, and ahead of plenty of GMs and titled players.

What a performance! Always good to see Aussies doing well overseas.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3220

Banned Hydra
    why werent we told ??

Congrats

This is the field he played...
    (the number after W or L is the player's final ranking)

L 24 GM Vescovi, Giovanni P 2631 6.0
    W 151 Collier, Philip M 2200 4.0
    W 75 FM Hoekstra, Matthew 2397 5.0
    L 15 GM Shabalov, Alexander 2671 6.5
    W 177 Bennett, David M 2102 3.5
    W 49 FM Bartholomew, John 2452 5.5
    L 29 IM Cordova, Emilio 2577 6.0
    W 77 WGM Mohota, Nisha 2387 5.0
    W 71 IM Florean, Andrei 2449 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    This is the field he played...
    (the number after W or L is the player's final ranking)

L 24 GM Vescovi, Giovanni P 2631 6.0
    W 151 Collier, Philip M 2200 4.0
    W 75 FM Hoekstra, Matthew 2397 5.0
    L 15 GM Shabalov, Alexander 2671 6.5
    W 177 Bennett, David M 2102 3.5
    W 49 FM Bartholomew, John 2452 5.5
    L 29 IM Cordova, Emilio 2577 6.0
    W 77 WGM Mohota, Nisha 2387 5.0
    W 71 IM Florean, Andrei 2449 5.0
    Thanks Watto, congratulations to Moulthun! That must have been close to an IM norm performance, can any of the ratings gurus elucidate further?
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    I hope he doesn't have groupies fighting over him on the dancefloor at good-bye party.

such a talented kid..congrats to him

Many thanks for that WE and Watto, it would have been a shame to miss it.

I'll see if I can glean enough info to write a feature about Moulthun for the Rooty Hill page. (You don't gotta be a member to get written up there. We'll do stories about anybody interesting.)

By the way WE, you got a mention on NCIS last night when Ducky was soliloquising over a cadaver.

It seems the king of Siam (who looked just like Yul Brynner) cornered the market on white elephants and would give one as a gift to any courtier who raised his ire. The gift was magnificent, but the cost of proper upkeep was ruinous.
    Visit my chess blog: http://blog.chess.com/Dozy

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozy
    By the way WE, you got a mention on NCIS last night when Ducky was soliloquising over a cadaver.

It seems the king of Siam (who looked just like Yul Brynner) cornered the market on white elephants and would give one as a gift to any courtier who raised his ire. The gift was magnificent, but the cost of proper upkeep was ruinous.
    Hey that's cool. I'm been mentioned in literature a fair bit but never on prime time tv as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar
    Thanks Watto, congratulations to Moulthun! That must have been close to an IM norm performance, can any of the ratings gurus elucidate further?
    Can someone check this further, because from looking through the fide regs and using their rating calculators, I think Moulthun might have gotten an IM norm.

Please do not take this as anywhere near fact.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Can someone check this further, because from looking through the fide regs and using their rating calculators, I think Moulthun might have gotten an IM norm.

Please do not take this as anywhere near fact.
    The ratings listed are USCF not FIDE so you will need to check the FIDE ratings of his opponents on the FIDE website.
    Remember if the event started before 1st July then the April ratings are needed.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 07-07-2006 at 12:12 AM.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    The ratings listed are USCF not FIDE so you will need to check the FIDE ratings of his opponents on the FIDE website.
    Remember if the event started before 1st July then the April ratings are needed.
    Unfortunately, this is crucial and something I had not allowed for.

Moulthun's performance rating (PR) for the tournament is 2376 according to the fide rating calculator, including increasing his lowest rated opponent up to 2100 as per 1.46c. Even if the calculator is 'wrong' by a few rating points, it wont be 75 points wrong.

This is short of the 2451 PR required for an IM norm. Moulthun did meet all the other required conditions.

No IM norm for Moulthun

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    Moulthun's performance rating (PR) for the tournament is 2376 according to the fide rating calculator, including increasing his lowest rated opponent up to 2100 as per 1.46c.
    Well, the average is 2376 using the April 2006 list (and higher if the July list was used). But he scored 6/9, which is half a point over the norm and a PR of 2501.

Even if the calculator is 'wrong' by a few rating points, it wont be 75 points wrong.
    Depends what you mean by "the calculator".

Moulthun did meet all the other required conditions.
    Certainly he's okay in terms of titled players, rated players and federations - six Americans and one each from India, Peru and Brazil. Assuming there were no more than two games a day and minimum 120 minutes each (you can never tell with some of these American tournaments), then it should be fine for a norm.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 07-07-2006 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirty
    Well, the average is 2376 using the April 2006 list (and higher if the July list was used). But he scored 6/9, which is half a point over the norm and a PR of 2493.
    Yes, I used the april fide ratings in the second post.

Depends what you mean by "the calculator".
    http://www.fide.com/ratings/calculators.phtml

Certainly he's okay in terms of titled players, rated players and federations - six Americans and one each from India, Peru and Brazil. Assuming there were no more than two games a day and minimum 120 minutes each (you can never tell with some of these American tournaments), then it should be fine for a norm.
    One round per day I do believe at 9 round Swiss, 40/2, SD/1

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    That calculator gives a PR of 2414 (not 2376), which contradicts the table in 1.48 on this page: http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B0101. Average is 2376, 6/9=67%, corresponding to 125 rating difference. So, PR=2376+125=2501 [edited].

One round per day I do believe at 9 round Swiss, 40/2, SD/1
    The main schedule was 9 rounds in 7 days from June 28-July 4 (can we assume Moulthun played this schedule?). But my point was that there are shorter schedules with faster time controls for the first few rounds where you wouldn't be able to get a norm, and some of these schedules start in July (under a different rating list?) Like a lot of big American opens, it's a complete mess.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 07-07-2006 at 04:57 AM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Awesome result. Beat an IM, a WGM and two FMs only losing to two GMs and an IM. I hope he does get a norm for this because he deserves it.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information