Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 136 to 147 of 147
  1. #136
    Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,383
    PGN Viewer
     

  2. #137
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,967
    PGN Viewer
     

  3. #138
    Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,383
    1.e4 e6 2.d3 d5 3.f3 c5 4.g3 Nc6 5.Bg2 Nf6 6. Ne2 Be7 7.Nd2 0-0 8.Nf1 Qc7 9. h3 Nh5 10. Be3 d4 11.Bf2 e5 12. Nh2 f5 13. exf5 Rxf5 14. 0-0 Rf8 15. Qd2 Be6 16. Rfe1 Qd7 17. Ng4 Bd5 18. Nh2 Rae8 19. Kh1 b5 20. a3 a5 21. Ng1 Qe6 22. Ng4 Nf6 23. Nh2 Qf5 24. Ne2 c4 25. g4 Qg6 26. Ng3 Nd7 27. Ne4 Nc5 28. Nf1 Nxe4 29. fxe4 Be6 30. Ng3 Bg5 31. Qe2 Rf7 32. Nf5 Ref8 33. Bg3 cxd3 34. cxd3 Bc8 35. Qc2 b4 36. Qc5 bxa3 37. bxa3 Qe6 38. Reb1 Bd7 39. Rb6 Rc8 40.Qd5 Rc7 41. Nd6 Rf6 42.Nc4 a4 43. Nxe5 Qxd5 44.exd5 Nxe5 45. Rb8+ Rf8 46. Rxf8 Kxf8 47.Bxe5 Rc1+ 48.Rxc1 Bxc1 49. Bd6+ Kf7 50.Bf1 Bc8 51.Bc5 Be3 52.Bg2 Kf6 53.Bd6 Bd7 54. Kh2 Be8 55.Be4 h6 56.Kg3 Bd7 57.Kf3 Bc8 58.Bh7 g6 59.Bg8 Bc1 60.Ke4 h5 61.gxh5 gxh5 62.h4 Bb2 63.Bc5 Bf5 64.Kf3 Bxd3 65.d6 Bf5 66.Bh7 Bd7 67.Ke4 Bc6+ 68.Kd3 Bb5+ 69.Kc2 Bc3 70.Bg8 Bd7 71.Kd3 Bb5+72.Kc2 draw offer

  4. #139
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,967
    PGN Viewer
     

    Thanks for the game; lots of points of interest in that one. I'll post some comments soon.

  5. #140
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,967
    My overall strategy for that game was again to see if I could smash the Possum by means of a direct kingside attack. I planned to completely shut down the queenside and play for a win on the kingside, but I wasn't able to pull it off. The backwards e-pawn was a permanent liability for me.

    I was rather hoping for 14.g4 when I intended offering a messy exchange sac by 14...Nf4 which I thought would be very strong whether the rook was taken or not. For the trivial investment of exchange for pawn I would prevent white castling and make the white kingside pawn structure a mess. I was looking forward to that but it didn't happen.

    There's a critical phase from move 28 to mid 30s when I wasn't sure what to do and made some really bad strategic decisions - especially opening up the queenside to try to get more piece mobility in the hope of kicking that knight off f5. That ended up only making said knight more dangerous, and I don't know what I ever hoped to accomplish down the f-file since squares on it were well covered. Probably around this time I should have stopped trying to play for a win and just maneuvered quietly. In a tournament game I would have done so.

    I don't recall any time when I saw a line that was a definite win for white. I'd be surprised if there isn't one though given I was a pawn down for so long. Whether the double bishop ending as it originally appeared is a win for white or a draw I have no idea. Even after the pawn came back I still had doubts for a few moves.

  6. #141
    Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,383

    possum prognosis?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    My overall strategy for that game was again to see if I could smash the Possum by means of a direct kingside attack. I planned to completely shut down the queenside and play for a win on the kingside, but I wasn't able to pull it off. The backwards e-pawn was a permanent liability for me]
    Yes, thankyou KB, some interesting maneuvres in that game. You have played most atypically against the possum in both games. Nh5 was a very direct examination, and certainly jammed normal possum development. Normally black goes for qside, so yes your play was atypical.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I was rather hoping for 14.g4 when I intended offering a messy exchange sac by 14...Nf4 which I thought would be very strong whether the rook was taken or not. For the trivial investment of exchange for pawn I would prevent white castling and make the white kingside pawn structure a mess. I was looking forward to that but it didn't happen.
    i need to look at this

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    There's a critical phase from move 28 to mid 30s when I wasn't sure what to do and made some really bad strategic decisions - especially opening up the queenside to try to get more piece mobility in the hope of kicking that knight off f5. That ended up only making said knight more dangerous, and I don't know what I ever hoped to accomplish down the f-file since squares on it were well covered. Probably around this time I should have stopped trying to play for a win and just maneuvered quietly. In a tournament game I would have done so.

    I don't recall any time when I saw a line that was a definite win for white. I'd be surprised if there isn't one though given I was a pawn down for so long. Whether the double bishop ending as it originally appeared is a win for white or a draw I have no idea. Even after the pawn came back I still had doubts for a few moves.
    i too thought i had made decisive breakthrough after winning the pawn, but i then also could find no clear winning line,..i would be interested in outside observation from someone who observed like michael baron......i blundered the d3 pawn, but i still couldnt see clear win there anyway.

    KB , did you use chess program as assistance?(its ok , i know your philosophy on this,and am cool with it either way,as was not pre game condition)..i did not use any external assistance . i would be interested also if you KB or anyone could run game through some chess engine,may provide some insight.

    the game did show trademark possum knight maneuvering, constantly changing their potentiality indexes!, and the stored potentiality of the position.

  7. #142
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,967
    I've put it through Fritz now. This is amazing - it reckons my innocent-looking 65...Bf5 (played just after I got the pawn back) was a howler and that 66.Bc4! is very good for white, even with the pawn off. I did wonder if my bishop should have gone to b5 but I never imagined this: 66.Bc4 Bd7 67.Ke4 Kg6 (best - the threat of taking with check on d4 ruins black's counterplay on the a-pawn). 68.Bd3 with Kd5 to come and white could be winning! (There may be other defence attempts).

    It really likes 28...Bxe4 for black which it rates as nearly -2. Presumably the idea is the potential passed pawn in the centre and the black knight outpost on f4. It initially likes 28...Na4 as well but goes cool a few moves later because White has f4 then Nf6+ and Bxd5. I was a bit nervous of that diagonal opening too which is why I closed things up by playing ...Nxe4.

    It thinks I'm still doing well after ...Nxe4 but seems to understand the position eeven less than I did. (I was really trying hard to stop your knight infiltrating and use ...g6 to boot it off f5 but there always seemed to be too many nasties in the way.)

    Fritz likes 47.Rf1+ for white (stops the rook exchange because there is no check and white is taking the d-pawn). I saw this but felt that while it may well be winning for white it also gave black swindling chances.

    I used computer assistance in preparing opening ideas for both games before they started. The d4/e5 clamp attempt that I used in each game is the computer's idea and so is the odd-looking 3...Nc6 move from the first one (which I played instead of my own idea 3...Bc5). However the ...Nh5 / ...f5 smash attempt in game 2 wasn't prepared at all. h3 surprised me and I decided to get heavy at that point. Fritz doesn't think very much of that, and says I'm wasting time and should move the N back where it came from.

    My impression from this game is that if the possum is soundly played the white kingside formation is a tough nut to crack by direct aggro and so the focus will probably turn to the queenside.

  8. #143
    CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,080
    Hi guys, I was waiting until your game had finished before commenting.

    I was just curious, (and probably looking at things superficially).

    Axiom didn't play 14.g5 (forking Rook & Knight), instead he castled kingside.

    Was there a combination that Black could have played to counter this move (against White's uncastled King)?

    Cheers

    [Edit OOPS! it was 14.g4, and Kevin has already mentioned he had an exchange sac lined up! ]
    Last edited by ElevatorEscapee; 22-07-2006 at 04:50 PM.
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

  9. #144
    Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,383
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Hi guys, I was waiting until your game had finished before commenting.

    I was just curious, (and probably looking at things superficially).

    Axiom didn't play 14.g5 (forking Rook & Knight), instead he castled kingside.

    Was there a combination that Black could have played to counter this move (against White's uncastled King)?

    Cheers

    [Edit OOPS! it was 14.g4, and Kevin has already mentioned he had an exchange sac lined up! ]
    i didnt like the look of Rg5 after g4...............if gxh5 then Rxg2 shatters white,or if 0-0 then Rg6 looks threatening.

  10. #145
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    i didnt like the look of Rg5 after g4...............if gxh5 then Rxg2 shatters white,or if 0-0 then Rg6 looks threatening.
    I also considered Rg5 but I assumed you simply wouldn't take it or commit your king and my rook would be left parked on a square I intuitively (but maybe incorrectly) didn't like.

  11. #146
    Banned Hydra
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I also considered Rg5 but I assumed you simply wouldn't take it or commit your king and my rook would be left parked on a square I intuitively (but maybe incorrectly) didn't like.
    How do I sign up for a correspondence game?

  12. #147
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidovici
    How do I sign up for a correspondence game?
    all you need to do is create a new thread in this section and ask for a game and your terms ie what colour you want to be, move rates, assistance allowed.

    Then someone will reply saying they accept and away you go. It is very informal on here unless we get enough ppl together for me to run a tournament.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Axiom vs KB - The Possum v The French
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Correspondence Matches
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 01-07-2006, 08:33 PM
  2. I.Goldenberg v Axiom
    By Axiom in forum Correspondence Matches
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 15-06-2006, 09:35 AM
  3. input for book creation/training software
    By gambitron in forum Chess Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-02-2006, 06:26 PM
  4. Najdorf 6.Bg5 line?
    By hitman84 in forum Games and Analysis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
  5. software for EASY book editing/study
    By gambitron in forum The 1337 Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 11:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •