Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadZ
    i think were all missin the point that chess aint exactly the coolest sport round - if im in ballarat/canberra or wherever i go for a tournament, when i find myself tryin to chat someone up who isnt parta the chess scene i immediately think of a different reason why im there, sayin "im here to play chess" is for me probably the worst thing i could say next to "dam, that dress makes you look f.a.t"
    i think most chicks would like to say to their friends "yeh, i hang round Matty Loyd n James Hird, and theyve f*cked me bfore!" as opposed to sayin "yeh, i hang round all these chess guys youve probably neva heard bout and sleep with em every now n then" whadya reckon their friends are gonna say? footy "omg youve been with loyd n hird? im sooo jealous" chess "yeh.....interestin"
    chess can sometimes be an underground sport, especially with us younger ones, i for one have told noone that i play, even tho a good portion of my life is put towards it, there are a few chess groupies out there, tho i can only think of 2 or 3 off the top of my head - itll never be like footy,rugby or cricket
    Yes. The reason there are groupies is also becasue of the fame factor

There were lot of groupies in the F1 race in melbourne and to say that you slept with a F1 star gives you instant social status. Same with if you slept with Andrew Johns, Gorden Tallis, Brad Fittler for people will think WOW

But say you slept with a chess IM or GM and no one would care and worse think you have no taste

That is because chess is not famous not because we are ugly. A lot of ugly footballers and tv starts and music stars have groupirs because they are famous. Even old Sean Connery and Tom Jones and Mick jagger and Iglesias have lots of groupies in their old age because they are famous
    Always do your Best

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    But say you slept with a chess IM or GM and no one would care and worse think you have no taste
    Tens of millions of Indian women want to have Vishi Anand's babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    http://www.blushphotography.com.au/index.html

Is this OK? Not tooooo juicy. Could the ACF invest $1k plus printing (~$1000)? Sell 50 at $40 and break even. Sell more and it is all profit.

Of course, a couple of raunchy shots would get it on A Current Affair and you will sell thousands (= $10-20k) But what would I know.
    I looked into it once. To get proper distribution through a major retail outlet, you'd need quality production. These kind of publishers are looking at quantity, so you're upfront costs would be around $15-20 000. The return would be made only on successful sales after the retailer had taken his commission. I wouldn't waste your time, Matt.
    Power comes from the barrel of a gun.

Any1 of youse fellas know anything about whisky - scotch, in particular?

AR

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards
    I looked into it once. To get proper distribution through a major retail outlet, you'd need quality production. These kind of publishers are looking at quantity, so you're upfront costs would be around $15-20 000. The return would be made only on successful sales after the retailer had taken his commission. I wouldn't waste your time, Matt.
    Re-read what Matt said again David ... he was only looking to sell around 50 or a little more - hardly the kind of figures that would justify 'proper distribution through a major retail outlet'.
    I suppose the idea has some merit, but are there really 50 people out there who would buy such a thing (and sufficient chess players to be Mr/Miss/Mrs January/February/etc)?

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    Re-read what Matt said again David ... he was only looking to sell around 50 or a little more - hardly the kind of figures that would justify 'proper distribution through a major retail outlet'.
    I suppose the idea has some merit, but are there really 50 people out there who would buy such a thing (and sufficient chess players to be Mr/Miss/Mrs January/February/etc)?
    Idea:

People like arosar take pics and I reckon "we" could simply assemble the best pics of 2004 and put them together SOHO style in a calender for 2005.

ACF Bulletin asks for contributers. ACF flogs them through its state organs.

WANTED: Person with Photoshop to collect photos and insert them into a chess calender for 2005.

Well whaddya know? I take lotsa chess pics and I happen to have photoshop.

AR

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Well whaddya know? I take lotsa chess pics and I happen to have photoshop.

AR
    Well it looks like there aren't too many excuses left-you just need to find some volunteers

Quote Originally Posted by samspade
    Well it looks like there aren't too many excuses left-you just need to find some volunteers
    but we know that arosar isnt too keen on helping out with admin duties

I hate volunteer work. I expect to get paid. Besides, I can't bloody work with 'em ACF mob.

AR

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    but we know that arosar isnt too keen on helping out with admin duties
    I meant volunteers for the calendar-presumably Arosar would be prepared to do the photoshop stuff as he was the one who brought it up

Thread Information