Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CC International Master

australian chess and sex

Our Sydney media has been going overboard the whole of this week with the gang rape allegation made against the Sydney Bulldogs Rugby League team. This has dominated coverage in the daily tele, radio, league magazines, current affairs and news.

Wendy Harmer, a passionate Manly Rugby League team supporter however rightly stated that there should be a distinction between consensual sex and non consensual sex. Many opinion makers in the newsprint also have stated that many sport stars, not just Rugby League stars, have a lot of female groupies following them, and that they are given a lot of opportunity to partake in sex by the general female public consensually. Indeed reading the US papers, it seems that the basketball and football players there are no different to the league players here when it comes to the sexual opportunities available to their stars. This is the same when it comes to Soccer stars in the Uk and Europe and our very own Aussie cricketers when we toured the West Indies. Even in AFL, as aptly shown in the Wayne Carey and Ablett case, the "made in Australia" code is also not immune to the fact that sportstars are followed by groupies and that they are given a lot of sexual opportunities.

But what about Australian chess? Where are the chess groupies, that follow Australian chess players like they follow the league players? League is a 100% male sport, unlike chess - yet League players get infinitely more sex than AUstralian chess players. Is it because we are too ugly? But then a lot of the League players have faces that only their mothers would love. Is it because we are nerds? is it because chess is not a "famous" sport, and saying you slept with a GM/IM is just not the same as saying you slept with a Sydney Bulldog player?

And if that is the case in Australia, what about overseas chess scene? in countries where chess is more popular and more mainstream, do the chess players there have groupies following them?
    Always do your Best

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chesslover
    But what about Australian chess? Where are the chess groupies, that follow Australian chess players like they follow the league players?
    Maybe they are scared away by the gropies.

Hey, speak for yourself.. I've had chess groupies before, and I know a few others who have too
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

And if that is the case in Australia, what about overseas chess scene? in countries where chess is more popular and more mainstream, do the chess players there have groupies following them?

Groupies??? Thats going a bit far and I doubt will ever happen in chess, but here In Germany I must say the average Gm is not the best looking speciman, but in and around the tournament scene these guys are doing pretty well with the women.

...but heres the main difference; the average GM aint on the lookout for a hot groupie for a night of 'action'! So the chess 'groupie' will never been a very popular pastime.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGB
    Groupies??? Thats going a bit far and I doubt will ever happen in chess, but here In Germany I must say the average Gm is not the best looking speciman, but in and around the tournament scene these guys are doing pretty well with the women.

...but heres the main difference; the average GM aint on the lookout for a hot groupie for a night of 'action'! So the chess 'groupie' will never been a very popular pastime.
    you mean that in Germany there are chess groupies?? Just like there are League groupies in NSW for our League players?

or is that being a chess GM makes that person more desirable for a German female, just like being a league player makes them more attractive to a female here?

And the average German GM would rather play chess, than go out with a german female who is interested in him just because he is a chess star?
    Always do your Best

you mean that in Germany there are chess groupies?? Just like there are League groupies in NSW for our League players?

or is that being a chess GM makes that person more desirable for a German female, just like being a league player makes them more attractive to a female here?

And the average German GM would rather play chess, than go out with a german female who is interested in him just because he is a chess star?
    Groupies ? Not like for the football stars, but yeah there are always women willing to follow these guys out after a tournament to a bar or whatever.This is a key bonus for the Russians! Back home they say 'Im a chess Player' a women will run a way (who a9n back there, and who lives good of chess in Russia???!) But here in Germany it has a certain cling to it 'proffy chess player'

Dunno why it is, I aint no Groupie!

Yeah, the average GM would rather play chess than go to bed with a groupie. I must say im the same! honestly!

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    but yeah there are always women willing to follow these guys out after a tournament to a bar or whatever.
    'sigh' wouln't that be nice.
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

CC International Master
    Yeah, the average GM would rather play chess than go to bed with a groupie. I must say im the same! honestly!
    Is that more a reflection on the german women, or on the German GM who thinks that chess is better than sex? :p
    Always do your Best

I think this is missing the point somewhat and is perhaps a little insensitive. The issue goes to the very heart of sporting culture not just in Australia but world-wide. Whether consensual or not, what happened has had seriously bad outcomes.

What happens when a young lad who happens to be pretty good at some sport and is given license to behave in any way he wishes? In fact is encouraged to act in ways which would be condemned in any other walk of life. Given huge amounts of money, taken out of the immediate influence of his family and community and provided with ageing, immature gorillas for role models.

What happened to Mark Bosnic, Robbie Fowler and numerous other premiere league youngsters? Kids with no life experiences and no limits and who are themselves role models for the next generation. It's a mess quite frankly, too much money, too little responsibility.

There was outrage in the UK when one premiere league soccer player visiting a poor country was confronted with a mother begging with babe in arms. He took a $20 note out of his wallet and holding it up, set light to it in front of the beggar-woman.

CC Candidate Master
    If I had a choice between an hour of sex or an hour of chess I would take the chess any day.

biggles

you guys are freaks then, absolute freaks

Is it because we are too ugly? But then a lot of the League players have faces that only their mothers would love. Is it because we are nerds? is it because chess is not a "famous" sport, and saying you slept with a GM/IM is just not the same as saying you slept with a Sydney Bulldog player?
    WTF!! Ugly? Nerds? Speak for yourself mate - f**ken hell. How many times I gotta bloody tell youse blokes? Get into the mindset of a loser - and you're definitely a loser.

Anyways this is all a bit sexist. Why must it always be about the fellas? How's about them chick chessplayers? Seen some of 'em? Mate, check some of these sheilas out.

Vera Papadopoulou
    Sophie Milliet
    Regina Pokorna
    Bosboom-Lanchava
    Zehra Topel

I wouldn't mind being a groupie for one of 'em lemme tell ya.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    WTF!! Ugly? Nerds? Speak for yourself mate - f**ken hell. How many times I gotta bloody tell youse blokes? Get into the mindset of a loser - and you're definitely a loser.

Anyways this is all a bit sexist. Why must it always be about the fellas? How's about them chick chessplayers? Seen some of 'em? Mate, check some of these sheilas out.

Vera Papadopoulou
    Sophie Milliet
    Regina Pokorna
    Bosboom-Lanchava
    Zehra Topel

I wouldn't mind being a groupie for one of 'em lemme tell ya.

AR
    yes arosar, good point about being a male groupie . But im sure you could look closer to home in acf and find some good looking girls in our scene. I can think of three already off the top of my head and i dont know many girls at the top end of australian chess. But one of them I would not want to groupie with

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Richards
    The issue goes to the very heart of sporting culture not just in Australia but world-wide. Whether consensual or not, what happened has had seriously bad outcomes.

What happens when a young lad who happens to be pretty good at some sport and is given license to behave in any way he wishes? In fact is encouraged to act in ways which would be condemned in any other walk of life. Given huge amounts of money, taken out of the immediate influence of his family and community and provided with ageing, immature gorillas for role models.
    I think you have stated the reason why Australian chess is different to other mainstream sports such as League, Soccer etc when it comes to sex.

The reason is money. An Australian chess player, no matter if they are a GM and the greatest player in Australian history, will never get the same money that League stars and Soccer stars get paid. This is because chess just does not have the mainstream appeal that League, Aussie Rules, Soccer (overseas) has which means there is no sponsors/media interest, which means of course that chess is not a lucrative sport.

The absense of obscene amounts of money probably keeps the elite chess player "well grounded" and in touch with reality, which means that they not behave in a depraved and debauched manner sexually
    Always do your Best

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    yes arosar, good point about being a male groupie . But im sure you could look closer to home in acf and find some good looking girls in our scene. I can think of three already off the top of my head and i dont know many girls at the top end of australian chess. But one of them I would not want to groupie with
    The fact is that female sports, such as netball, female cricket, female soccer, female swimming etc do not have a male groupie scene.This is in contrast to the male sports - such as League, cricket, Aussie Rules etc

The reason why there are no male groupies for female stars, to the same extent that there are female groupies for male sports stars is based on our evolutionary past. Males are genetically as a general rule, programmed to sleep with as many females as possible as part of the genetic code to ensure the survival of the human species
    Always do your Best

Thread Information