Rating Differentials

Does anyone know of a site that states how much one person should score against another over a series of games- ie players with 300 point difference play a 10 game match, what should the overall score be based just on rating.

I am sure there has to be a site somewhere and I admit I havent searched for one

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Does anyone know of a site that states how much one person should score against another over a series of games- ie players with 300 point difference play a 10 game match, what should the overall score be based just on rating.

I am sure there has to be a site somewhere and I admit I havent searched for one
    Check the FIDE site at http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B0210

That shows the expected % based on the normal curve.

You can however use the superior logistic curve formula which Elo recommended in his book and is used by the USCF, Glicko and others:

P = 1/(1 + 10 ^ [D/400]) where D = the rating difference.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Check the FIDE site at http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=B0210

That shows the expected % based on the normal curve.

You can however use the superior logistic curve formula which Elo recommended in his book and is used by the USCF, Glicko and others:

P = 1/(1 + 10 ^ [D/400]) where D = the rating difference.
    Thank you Bill, the reason I asked was that I wanted to see if AO was willing to state how many points start he could give an opponent. Since he thinks of himself as a GM, it should be plenty

I just wanted to see if his thoughts would match reality

CC FIDE Master

site?

Won't that site give only the ELO results?

Don't we use a funny glick thingy now?

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qpawn

The scaling of Glicko and ELO is the same so the same differentials should apply.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

I pointed out the FIDE site uses the normal distribution.
    The USCF, Glicko amongst others use the logistic function.
    Garvin was interested in expected percentage. The difference between normal and logistic is minimal up to around a difference of 350 points, however even at 600 points there is only a 1.4% difference in expected percentage.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Grandmaster

data mining

It would be an intresting experiment to see how accurate ELO formula in estimating the result. E.g a regression of result on three variables (ELO prediction for the game, colour and smallest rating in the pair) will show whether:

1. Whether ELO formula is a good estimator
    2. How is it affected by the colour.
    3. How is it affected by the level of players.

I strongly suspect that results will be different for high and lower rated players.

ACF rating officer must have a vast database of results.

Bill, do you want to do this exercise? Or to send data to me so I can run some statistical analysis?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    It would be an intresting experiment to see how accurate ELO formula in estimating the result. E.g a regression of result on three variables (ELO prediction for the game, colour and smallest rating in the pair) will show whether:

I strongly suspect that results will be different for high and lower rated players.

Bill, do you want to do this exercise? Or to send data to me so I can run some statistical analysis?
    The website http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/even.../sonasrat.html includes a graph that displays White's percentage score in relation to the difference in the ratings.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg

I believe Bill did exactly this sort of modelling when Glicko was originally introduced, and concluded that Glicko is a far better predictor than ELO.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    I believe Bill did exactly this sort of modelling when Glicko was originally introduced, and concluded that Glicko is a far better predictor than ELO.
    As far as I understand, Glicko uses the same formula for expected result P=1/(1+pow10((D1-D2)/400)). That the one I'd like to test.
    For private coaching (IM, four times VIC champion) call or SMS 0417519733
    Computer tells you what to play. Good coach explains why.

Thread Information