View Poll Results: In adult life, have you ...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • been physically attacked?

    10 76.92%
  • ... and retaliated physically?

    6 46.15%
  • attacked someone physically without them doing likewise first?

    3 23.08%
  • ...and they fought back?

    2 15.38%
  • been involved in a physical fight which both sides consented to?

    3 23.08%
  • been in a fight in which someone was significantly injured?

    3 23.08%
  • threatened someone with violence in person?

    5 38.46%
  • been threatened with violence in person?

    10 76.92%
  • none of the above

    2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,490

    Violence and your life

    Just thought I'd post this poll as a test for some of the assertions in Matt's comments in the "Fighting" thread.

    Chess is sometimes viewed by hack psychologists as the sublimation of violence into more harmless enterprises. On that basis one would expect chessplayers to be less physically violent than society at large and events like Doeberl 2000 and Gormallygate to be extreme exceptions. But is it true or not?

    Under-18s, please don't bother answering this poll. Schoolyard violence is just way too common, unfortunately.

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,232
    Kevin
    I had difficulty with "significantly injured", but proceeded anyway.
    Ditto with "both parties consenting".
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  3. #3
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Kevin
    I had difficulty with "significantly injured", but proceeded anyway.
    Medical treatment required. More than just bandaids.

    Ditto with "both parties consenting".
    I mean something of the kind where one person says "wanna fight?", other person says "yeah!" and both slug it out (eg firegoat vs Gaft). Both parties have the apparent opportunity to get out of the situation without violence but elect not to.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,232
    Thanks.

    I guessed corrrectly at the former.
    I guesssed corrcetly at the latter, although I find it incredulous.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Medical treatment required. More than just bandaids.



    I mean something of the kind where one person says "wanna fight?", other person says "yeah!" and both slug it out (eg firegoat vs Gaft). Both parties have the apparent opportunity to get out of the situation without violence but elect not to.
    this does not cover important moral and legal implications. FG (a Victorian) we know to be quite mentally deficient and gets into fights (with NSWers) that he cannot handle and then needs (NSWer) bouncers to rescue him. He has to be protected from himself and Gaft has a legal responsibility to turn the other cheek. GAft does not know whether FG is carrying around in his back pocket a "Certification" like a few of my friends do.

    Don't expect me to vote in your poll, too much reading.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster road runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    on the skin of the pale blue dot
    Posts
    12,335
    So far, I conclude the following:
    We talk about doing it, but less of us actually do it, and those that do aren't very good at it.
    meep meep

  7. #7
    CC International Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,399
    To avoid violence when out drinking, stay away from pool tables and don't be a smart ass when there is a big boxing match on.
    Last edited by bergil; 22-06-2006 at 12:47 PM.
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

    Sydney International Open

    Parramatta Chess Club

    Manchester United - In decline since 92!

  8. #8
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    587

    violence can occur

    It is a myth that if you mind your own business you won't be attacked; there are some loony teenagers at train stations who spit at passers by in the daytime.

    I must admit that I might have worded the poll a bit differently. For instance " have you ever engaged in violence as revenge?" would be an interesting question. I mean, like following someone home and bashing them because they "smooched your girlfriend" or "took the credit for your hard efforts at your workplace " etc.

    Most self-defence instructors IMO are absolutely clueless. One, they teach choreographed methods which may work in the boxing ring/karate circle but won't succeed on the street. Two, they neglect the holistic elements that can reduce the chances of trouble in the first place such as good eye contact/ confident posture in risky areas etc . Three, you are rarely taught what might be USEFUL . Being able to defend against a beer bottle being swung at you is far more useful than knowing how to parry against a 6 dan roundhouse kick.

    I have never learnt self-defence because I don't see the point; most instructors, for all their dans and sashes, don't know jack about surviving on the street.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by qpawn
    It is a myth that if you mind your own business you won't be attacked; there are some loony teenagers at train stations who spit at passers by in the daytime.

    I must admit that I might have worded the poll a bit differently. For instance " have you ever engaged in violence as revenge?" would be an interesting question. I mean, like following someone home and bashing them because they "smooched your girlfriend" or "took the credit for your hard efforts at your workplace " etc.

    Most self-defence instructors IMO are absolutely clueless. One, they teach choreographed methods which may work in the boxing ring/karate circle but won't succeed on the street. Two, they neglect the holistic elements that can reduce the chances of trouble in the first place such as good eye contact/ confident posture in risky areas etc . Three, you are rarely taught what might be USEFUL . Being able to defend against a beer bottle being swung at you is far more useful than knowing how to parry against a 6 dan roundhouse kick.

    I have never learnt self-defence because I don't see the point; most instructors, for all their dans and sashes, don't know jack about surviving on the street.
    Good martial art skills is just a part of fighting skills, which, in turn, also only a part of surviving skills.

    On the other hand, martial art training has a very good positive effect on other skills required.

    First, practicing martial arts train the body (speed, fitness, strength ad reflex) in way which is very important in any fight (including street fight). It is not the only way of training, but more civilized then learning by doing a lot of street fighting (which also trains the body).

    Second, it makes you more self-confident. Those loony teenagers intuitively sense a target for their attack, they smell a fear. They will never (almost) try to spit on self-confident strong man.

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,531
    It seems that chess players are a very civilized bunch. There is an aggressor in any fight, however nine were physically attacked, yet only three attacked themselves. Go figure.

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,359
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    this does not cover important moral and legal implications. FG (a Victorian) we know to be quite mentally deficient and gets into fights (with NSWers) that he cannot handle and then needs (NSWer) bouncers to rescue him. He has to be protected from himself and Gaft has a legal responsibility to turn the other cheek. GAft does not know whether FG is carrying around in his back pocket a "Certification" like a few of my friends do.

    Don't expect me to vote in your poll, too much reading.

    I have known FireGoat for years, he is a nice guy who does not generally have a tendency to get involved into fights. In that case, he was Clearly provoked by Gaft. Its a pity when self-defence is being viewed as a sign of "mental defficiency". While I do disagree with many of the FG's postings here....(particularly his pro-socialist ideas) I find him to be a reasonable, polite person who is entitled to his point of view. Not once have I heard FG promoting violence and intolerance the way AC does

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,046
    On this question of tolerance and multiculturalism, I tell you what, there are some of these goddamn migrants who can't speak a word of English. These people should not be allowed to enter the country. I mean, how many times have you been delayed by somebody who can't speak English at a fast food joint? The poor checkout-chick has to bloody interpret what they're friggin' saying.

    And there's a particular ethnic group who drive on our roads thinking they're still back in their countries! FFS!

    AR

  13. #13
    Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauline Hanson
    On this question of tolerance and multiculturalism, I tell you what, there are some of these goddamn migrants who can't speak a word of English. These people should not be allowed to enter the country.
    [snip]

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    16,881
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    On this question of tolerance and multiculturalism, I tell you what, there are some of these goddamn migrants who can't speak a word of English. These people should not be allowed to enter the country. I mean, how many times have you been delayed by somebody who can't speak English at a fast food joint? The poor checkout-chick has to bloody interpret what they're friggin' saying.

    And there's a particular ethnic group who drive on our roads thinking they're still back in their countries! FFS!

    AR
    And if they happen to be refugees from west New Guinea or East Timor who helped us against the Japanese invasion but noa speaka da Inglish, and now being persecuted by the Indos, we will just tell them to get stuffed.

    Or refugees from certain Middle Eastern countries whose countries are turned upside down by "corrupt" UN decisions and English speaking imperialists and colonists also tell them to get stuffed.

    And if the RP's final colonisation wasn't by the US we would be telling all the Pinoys to get stuffed as well.

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    12,359
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    And if they happen to be refugees from west New Guinea or East Timor who helped us against the Japanese invasion but noa speaka da Inglish, and now being persecuted by the Indos, we will just tell them to get stuffed.

    Or refugees from certain Middle Eastern countries whose countries are turned upside down by "corrupt" UN decisions and English speaking imperialists and colonists also tell them to get stuffed.

    And if the RP's final colonisation wasn't by the US we would be telling all the Pinoys to get stuffed as well.

    All Australians must respect Australian Laws. Full stop. Whether they are "natives" or migrants is irrelevanat

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •