View Poll Results: What is the Gender of the Queen's Pawn?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Female - them girls must stick together

    1 25.00%
  • Female - because you need a woman to get anything done right

    1 25.00%
  • Male - only one beautiful lady per army required

    2 50.00%
  • Male - us boys will fight for our queen to the death!

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,212

    The gender of the Q-pawn

    The pieces, with the exception of the Queen, are all accepted to be male. What about the Queen's Pawn?
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  2. #2
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    587

    I will ask him or her

    Well, I guess that just as a few women dressed up as men to fight in the US civil war, I guess that a butch, she-man, Xena queen pawn is possible.


  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster Denis_Jessop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    The pieces, with the exception of the Queen, are all accepted to be male. What about the Queen's Pawn?
    These days, you may have to qualify that assumption with respect to Bishops. Moreover all pawns are hermaphrodites as they are capable of becoming a rook, a knight, a bishop or a queen at the will of the player given the right circumstances.

    DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

  4. #4
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    151
    lol

  5. #5
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    Moreover all pawns are hermaphrodites as they are capable of becoming a rook, a knight, a bishop or a queen at the will of the player given the right circumstances.
    Perhaps the term "promotion" would be better described as a sex-change operation. Although, I'm sure there are those who would contend that going from male to female is aptly described by the former.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Perhaps the term "promotion" would be better described as a sex-change operation. Although, I'm sure there are those who would contend that going from male to female is aptly described by the former.
    Crawler
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  7. #7
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    39
    Unless you are playing a chinese, finnish or norwegian person. In which case their pronouns are gender neutral, and only the king can be definitely assumed male.

    My knights are female by the way. And depending on the phase of the moon my rooks are too. Boudicca was not only a queen, but a horse rider and charioteer, so I have historical presedence.

    65th square

  8. #8
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    In Italian there is no gender neutrality, you have to be one or the other. There chesspieces are (to be best of my knowledge) as follows

    il re - king - male
    la donna - queen - female
    la torre - rook - female
    l'alfiere - bishop - male
    il cavallo - knight - male
    il pedone - pawn - male

    Interesting that the 3 most powerful pieces in the army are female.

    Another point of interest is that literally "alfiere" means "standard bearer" and has no direct relationship to the church.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,896
    coglioni - male
    coglioni sacrificed - neuter

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,212
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Interesting that the 3 most powerful pieces in the army are female.
    As I'm sure that you well know, the use of gender in the romantic languages does not imply the gender of the actual animal. For example, the word for "bird" (whatever it may be) may be assigned male, but that does not preclude birds from being female.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Another point of interest is that literally "alfiere" means "standard bearer" and has no direct relationship to the church.
    I am quite fond of the religious figure only being able to move on half the board, since that is a quite a good reflection of their lack of openmindness in real life.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,896
    do you notice that even two bishops don't even make a queen.

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,212
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    do you notice that even two bishops don't even make a queen.
    They do make a queen that cannot move STRAIGHT (up or down or sideways)
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    They do make a queen that cannot move STRAIGHT (up or down or sideways)
    Like a queen without the missionary position - well would not need that position aye?

  14. #14
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    As I'm sure that you well know, the use of gender in the romantic languages does not imply the gender of the actual animal. For example, the word for "bird" (whatever it may be) may be assigned male, but that does not preclude birds from being female.
    While this is true of romance languages in general and also of Italian in particular, there are cases (perticularly where you are describing a person) where the name changes to the gender of the person involved. For example 'un pedone' also means 'a pedestrian'. However, if you refer to a female pedestrian in particular you would use 'una pedona'. As the queens' pawns are still referred to in the masculine I think that should seal the debate, at least from an Italian perspective.

    (BTW From memory bird is 'uccello' and masculine.)
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster Desmond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The island
    Posts
    14,212
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Like a queen without the missionary position - well would not need that position aye?
    I'm trying very hard not to think about that too much.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

    See you in another life, brotha.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Endgame Corner: Two Rooks vs Rook and Pawn
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Games and Analysis
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17-03-2015, 07:44 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-01-2011, 10:44 AM
  3. Melbourne Chess Club Christmas Swiss 2005
    By Bereaved in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 21-12-2005, 11:49 AM
  4. Richard J vs b1_ - Some tips for you Richard.
    By b1_ in forum Correspondence Matches
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18-09-2005, 11:42 PM
  5. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 14-05-2004, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •