Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The right gets it wrong, the left just don't get it

Kevin, in the temp/ perm defunct "other place", you asked if I were as right as some may think.

In answer, I refer you to a political questionnaire you directed me to. I don't know if you recall or even checked my result, but it could be fairly summarised as:

On the graph [which had a decent spread from left to right], not only did I finish up dead on centre, but I split it fair up the middle.

- I have absolutely no time for extremist views on anything.
    - I have zero tolerance and save my most voluminist disgust for the extreme right as it embraces the most vile of human inequality. I won't even discuss issues with this filth.
    - I rarely discuss politics with the far right because IMHO, they are barely of this world - they live in a separate society.
    - I generally only engage with the far left because their heart is in the right place and I sympathise entirely with what they seek to achieve, however despite their biggest thoughts, they simply have no idea on how to achieve these ends.

Furthermore, I see them shouting and marching and lobbying and agitating with the very best of intentions, knowing full well that they will not only fail miserably to create the infrastructure to achieve those ends, but actually create circumstances even more difficult to do so.

I rely on history and a multitude of failed models to support my claims. Any suggestion of arrogance or "I know better" would be unfair.

With respect to the title of this thread, I am aware of a number of occasions throughout history where the right, equally well intentioned, have royally farted it up. The difference in my mind is that eventually the right learn from their mistakes [millions of ruined lives later], while the left simply don't get it - and I doubt, ever will. After all each year, a new wave of docile and wide-eyed innocents spew out from our places of learning ready to reinvent the wheel. God, its painful to watch - and even more painful to listen to the diatribe.

I think the word is naiive.
    Last edited by Basil; 17-06-2006 at 01:08 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I didn't see you had posted a result.

However the comments above confirm my suspicions that we are really not that different. Like you I despise the far right considerably more than the far left but spend more time stirring the latter.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    However the comments above confirm my suspicions that we are really not that different.
    I've known that for quite a while now, but for God's sake don't tell anyone. And for Goodness sake, don't tell Qpawn that I said God.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

common ground needing paradigm shift

like HD and KB, I too despise the far right (to adopt current paradigm terms)
    and like wise see much of the folly of the far left, although my heart lies somewhere there.

but like a punch and judy PUPPET show, i am convinced that the the "left-right" paradigm , acts as a fundamental distraction from real polotik.

Whilst "we" argue R<->L , Iwould contend that the real didactic debate is ,as always has been, is between the controllers of resources, and the ppl these resources are for.

Right/Left has been a "convenient" way to run this ongoing debate, but we all can see the holes punched in this model, with the multitude of contradictions..this smoke/mirrors type model serves us badly

much like the belief in god, this false belief system leads us down the garden path.......until we can accurately label then discuss the debate closer to reality, we will continue to be mislead.

Ax, sometimes you dribble the most inane amount of codswallop, but I like you.

To start, you can have two yellow cards, one for paradigm and one for didactic. eugghhhh.

As for the thrust of what you say, you are indeed correct in identifying the breakdown of traditional identifiers, overlap and so forth, but for goodness sake, your constant reference to it is like listening to an academic spewing forth about something in which he is well versed, but never having actually experienced.

Grown men don't need this bollocks. The construction of the arguments in this topic [pro and con] can survive and have contempory meaning without your nouveau, pseudo, babble new speak!

Go and get a job in the real world and get beaten up and then come back to Howie for tea and bikkies, kisses and hugs.

Apart from that, you're growing on me.
    Last edited by Basil; 17-06-2006 at 01:25 AM.

In fact, come to think of it, you're blurring sociology with politics. Forget about going through what I just said. Pack up shop. Get up here to Queensland and take a year with me. That'll sort you out and you can venture forth as a complete and useful unit.

translation request as per 978/b/1144 subsection 3D-15 OF THE COMMUNICATIONS ACT1991

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    In fact, come to think of it, you're blurring sociology with politics. Forget about going through what I just said. Pack up shop. Get up here to Queensland and take a year with me. That'll sort you out and you can venture forth as a complete and useful unit.
    AT THE RISK OF SEEMING A TRITE OBSCURE...COULD YOU PLEASE TRANSLATE THE ABOVE...........(sorry about the caps)

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    AT THE RISK OF SEEMING A TRITE OBSCURE...COULD YOU PLEASE TRANSLATE THE ABOVE...........(sorry about the caps)
    Translation:
    Two posts ago I suggested you have to serve your rite of passage. Its a good way to lose the psycho babble.

In the last post, I suggested an easier an more productive way forward would be to forget said rite of passage and come and learn from a cluey and classy plugged-in unit such as myself.

light on but plugged in?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Translation:
    Two posts ago I suggested you have to serve your rite of passage. Its a good way to lose the psycho babble.

In the last post, I suggested an easier an more productive way forward would be to forget said rite of passage and come and learn from a cluey and classy plugged-in unit such as myself.
    at the risk of seeming thick, what would i learn? you must recall i have acces to the great wisdom of the ancients....and so keep open minded

CC International Master

The right gets it wrong, the left just don't get it

Isn't this heading a straight copy of the title of an article in "The Economist" magazine?

Look one crucial difference between the extreme right and the extreme left is that the extreme left is totally discredited while the extreme right is out of the closet and causing chaos.

1) trying to wind back the enlightenment.

2) cheating on elections.

3) appointing right wing idealogues to jobs where they are not well qualified.

4) trash talking their opponents. They make the Aussie cricket team look like beginners.

5) telling porkie pies at every opportunty.

6) ignoring the Geneva convention

7) torturing prisoners.

Next thing they will be dressing up in Gilber and Sullivan uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude
    Isn't this heading a straight copy of the title of an article in "The Economist" magazine?
    I have never read a the Economist Magazine. I can assure you it isn't.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    bah, The Economist probably pinched it from somewhere else!
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

David, this is penetrating stuff. I'm not sure if I can keep this chit chat up!

1) trying to wind back the enlightenment.

2) cheating on elections.
    Cheating? That's a new one! LOL

3) appointing right wing idealogues to jobs where they are not well qualified.
    As opposed to the left who don't have a single commercial brain cell between them - I'd love to see how they can appoint anyone in any commercial field - oh hang on - the academics that have studied it!

4) trash talking their opponents.
    *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL*
    Oh yeah, baby - brand new tactic from the libs! I can't fight these revelations

5) telling porkie pies at every opportunty.
    *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL* *ROFL*
    Stop it! You're hurting me. I can just see the Royal Commission now.

6) ignoring the Geneva convention & 7) torturing prisoners.
    This one's more serious and is a difficulty all governments face when involved in conflict. Pick a war, any war. Pick a government, any government. This could be levelled at all. I'd like to think all governments of all pursuasions would never condone these issues.

Thanks for the biggest laugh I've had all day

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Originally Posted by Davidflude
    6) ignoring the Geneva convention & 7) torturing prisoners.

This one's more serious and is a difficulty all governments face when involved in conflict. Pick a war, any war. Pick a government, any government. This could be levelled at all. I'd like to think all governments of all pursuasions would never condone these issues.

If the Israeli govt can get away with it for years against the Palestinians (breaking their bones etc.) why can't the Aussies.

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    If the Israeli govt can get away with it for years against the Palestinians (breaking their bones etc.) why can't the Aussies.
    I'm sure you would disagree if you or someone you know were the wrongly accused party.
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Thread Information