Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 103
  1. #1
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    587

    life as an atheist in Australia

    Is there any place for an atheist in Australia anymore? Or, for that matter, is there any place for anyone who is not a bible-hugging Christian?

    First, it was the Lord's prayer being reintroduced into Parliament. If someone is fulfilling his or her civic duties as a poltical representative then there is no need to be marginalised by religious dogma. Then, there was that guy on the "fair pay" commission . He says that God will counsel him on whatever my wage should be set at. Then in the next breath he says that his religious beliefs are his own business. Well, excuse me sunshine. If your bible is going to decide MY pay then your religious beliefs have become my business and concern whether you like it or not. That is all disconderting enough. But this week the marginalisation of atheists/non- Christians reached a new abyss. Now we are going to have chaplains in government schools?? There is so much wrong with that idea that I don't know where to start. For starters what rights do non-believing kids and THEIR TAX-PAYING PARENTS have any more? I have been around a lot of religious people and can say, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that some of these chaplains/religious people will prosletyse to a dangerous degree. Believe you me, there will be religious loonies forcing their bible-bashing crap down the throats of your kids. There is also the argument that why should religious people get counselling/pastoral help while people with other beliefs are not catered for?

    I am an atheist and I feel, frankly, like a nigger in this country. I don't use the word 'nigger' lightly but it's the only word with the punch required. The sooner Howard, the looney toon Hillsong Church , and that guy on the pay commission all go to hell the better. It's unbelievable what has happened to this country over ten years of Howard's Australia. We have gone backwards about 50 years. I am a proud naturalised Australian. I love this country. But I absolutely hate the current religious dogma and intrusion that has infected this nation like a cancer.

  2. #2
    CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,061
    I used to be an athiest once... but then I realized that disbelief of something that cannot be disproven was equally as silly as stringent belief in something that cannot be proven.

    Both viewpoints are actually a demonstration of faith, (where faith is wholehearted belief in something that cannot be proven or disproven).

    As an Australian, I am appalled that the "Lord's Prayer" is still said before parliament commences.

    Surely freedom of religious worship should dictate that there should be a separation of secular and religious ideals!

    Furthermore, I fear that the very politicians who mouth the "Lord's Prayer" prior to bickering with one another, do not genuinely believe in the words they are praying.

    What politician really wishes "Thy Kingdom Come"? After all, if the "Lord's Kingdom came", there would be a hell of a lot of politicians out of their current jobs!

    Just my two penneth worth!
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

  3. #3
    Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,383

    commit!

    i used to be agnostic, but got sick of sitting on the fence, so decided to commit to atheism.....i mean someone has got to balance ,the insanity, of belief in the unproved!

  4. #4
    CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom
    i used to be agnostic, but got sick of sitting on the fence, so decided to commit to atheism.....i mean someone has got to balance ,the insanity, of belief in the unproved!
    Do you have a tattoo proving you are an athiest?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

  5. #5
    Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,383

    cart b4 horse

    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    Do you have a tattoo proving you are an athiest?
    as my coach would have said " first prove you are an atheist!"
    ..as in "show me your tattoo to prove you are siberian tiger", my coach said you must respond to this question with "first ,i MUST prove I AM SIBERIAN TIGER!".....this advice was usful in encountering the chess thugs on the streets of krasno

  6. #6
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,234
    Hi Q
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,062
    When all those church services were taking place for that Port Philip massacre I felt like puking. There was no place for an atheist then. We have a lot to thank the Simpsons for in promoting a reaction to religion. The latest craze I hate is all those crosses along the road where someone has died. Their God didn't help them aye.

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,234
    Hi Q

    I read your post twice. I understand your malcontent. Not quite sure I followed your argument though.

    As far as I could determine, it runs like this:

    I am an atheist
    Some people in power believe in God
    Those people are making references to God which make me uneasy
    Australia has gone backwards by 50 years


    Would you please reclarify how you are affected? I didn't quite get it.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,062
    And how come I am the only who hates Macavity's "and god bless ..." - I think you are pi..weak for not complaining about his one.

    what an insult to modern thinking people

  10. #10
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,062
    KB probably feels the same - everyone else is prepared to just stomp his precious invertebrates into the ground - or throw them against a brick wall or poison them

  11. #11
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Hi Q

    I read your post twice. I understand your malcontent. Not quite sure I followed your argument though.

    As far as I could determine, it runs like this:

    I am an atheist
    Some people in power believe in God
    Those people are making references to God which make me uneasy
    Australia has gone backwards by 50 years


    Would you please reclarify how you are affected? I didn't quite get it.
    I guess his argument is basically church and state should be separate. This is the underlying premise of a secular society. (You know? The things that makes us better than the Taliban.) Anyway, if they are introducing prayers in parliament and chaplains in state schools then this is a move in the wrong direction. Like from secular towards state religion.

    I know these ideas might be a bit foreign to an (adopted) Queenslander but welcome to the 20th century.

    BTW I'm an athiest not because I have faith in the non-existence of god but rather I don't have faith in anything idea for which there is no reason to believe. If atheism is a religion then so is a lack of belief in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  12. #12
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,062
    What I hate are those religious processions down the main street, even if the Hari Krishnas do it. I give one and all a good dose of booing and tell them to keep their superstitious behind church walls. And to pay their rates as well.

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster antichrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,062
    furthermore, I hate when you share a room with GAreth he begins reading the Bible aloud at 3am and you have comp that morning

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster Basil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Subtropical Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I guess his argument is basically church and state should be separate.
    I guess his argument is that too. I believe church and state should be separate also! But that's not the point he made. Not like you to miss the point, Baz.

    I'll accept the unwarranted and misguided shot against with good grace.
    Last edited by Basil; 16-06-2006 at 12:05 AM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

  15. #15
    Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,383

    axiomatic

    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    I'm an athiest not because I have faith in the non-existence of god but rather I don't have faith in anything idea for which there is no reason to believe. If atheism is a religion then so is a lack of belief in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.
    , exactly, axiomatic.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Does God Exist?
    By Paul S in forum Religion and Science
    Replies: 5602
    Last Post: 18-07-2018, 09:19 PM
  2. Football codes - what is the future?
    By chesslover in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 651
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 04:43 PM
  3. are there other intelligent life on the universe?
    By chesslover in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 27-01-2004, 11:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •