CC Candidate Master

Fried Liver attack / sacrifice

Hi, Does anyone know anything about the fried liver attack in the two knights defence ..
    (websites , books, or anything)

it goes.... 1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Bc4 Nf6
    4.Ng5 d5
    5.exd5 Nxd5
    6.Nxf7!!!
    ive been looking every where for a book on this gambit

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MARON
    Hi, Does anyone know anything about the fried liver attack in the two knights defence ..

it goes.... 1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Bc4 Nf6
    4.Ng5 d5
    5.exd5 Nxd5
    6.Nxf7!!!
    There's an article in a fairly recent NIC Yearbook on the Fried Liver suggesting 6.d4 to be best and, in fact, winning for White.
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    There are articles on the 2 knights and fried liver at http://www.chesscafe.com/

Find the archives button and then search the articles called "The Kibitzer". There are loads of interesting articles, but perhaps the one for March 2001 would be a good start for you
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

Victorian Team Championships

CC Grandmaster
    5...Na5 is the correct move

CC Candidate Master
    yes i know ..... its just for when black takes on d5

Account Permanently Banned Arrogant-One's Avatar

it goes.... 1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Bc4 Nf6
    4.Ng5 d5
    5.exd5 Nxd5
    6.Nxf7!!!
    I read a book by Nigel Short once in which he calls the Alekhine defence pathetic and points out his remarkable winning record against that opening. That opening is similiar to the two Knights defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant-One
    I read a book by Nigel Short once in which he calls the Alekhine defence pathetic and points out his remarkable winning record against that opening. That opening is similiar to the two Knights defence.
    It is indeed similair ... for the first half-move anyway
    So what's your excuse? To run like the devil's chasing you.

See you in another life, brotha.

Against a strong player the fried liver will most probably fail. They will say "thanks for the knight" move their king to the centre and hang on until the endgame, when they will be a piece up and have a better king.

I have played more fried livers then I've eaten real ones. It was my favourite for a long time and I still can't resist a bite occasionally, even today - against much weaker opponents it must be stressed.

do yourself a favour, play 6.d4

CC Grandmaster
    After 6.Nxf7 (or 6.d4 which is even better) the black is toasted. It begs a question: why is it called fried?

lolli attack

Michael Goeller's site on the two knights is excellent. Here's the link for the lolli attack (6.d4)

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~goeller/...li_attack.html

cheers!

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Maybe 6.d4 should be the "Fried Lolli"
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

CC Candidate Master
    Isn't 5...b5 also playable?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by alipasha
    Isn't 5...b5 also playable?
    as well as 5...Na5, 5...Nd4 and undoubtedly some other reasonable moves I don't know about. But 5...Nxd5 is one of the worst alternatives

CC Candidate Master
    While the Fried Liver Attack is good, the Lolli Attack is a more sophisticated attack you can use in the same situation. White already wins 83% with the Fried Liver Attack, but s/he wins an incredible 91% with the Lolli Attack.

There's a short video explaining the basic moves and ideas here:
    http://www.chesslecture.com/sample.php

Note: I don't recommend subscribing. He doesn't cover Black's best replies, so supplement with games from your favorite database.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by likesforests
    While the Fried Liver Attack is good, the Lolli Attack is a more sophisticated attack you can use in the same situation. White already wins 83% with the Fried Liver Attack, but s/he wins an incredible 91% with the Lolli Attack.
    Are those stats adjusted for rating?

I like to look at stats from games involving strong players on things like this but what I can find bears out that even where strong-ish players are involved both the Fried Liver and the Lolli generally win. On chessbase the stats are very similar with the Fried Liver scoring +22=3-4 for white and the Lolli +20=2-2 in games where at least one player is rated over 2000. However the Lolli stats include a slightly greater proportion (13/24 cf 13/29) of games where only White is the 2000+. Even where only Black is the 2000+ Black scores wretchedly in both.

Basically it's simple: good players generally don't play 5...Nxd5 (played by over-2000s in about 4% of cases). On that basis, it's not worth knowing too much about except for fun or for playing or training weakish juniors, and if you're not good enough to beat said juniors without theory, you probably won't beat them with it!
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information