Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

My Beloved Tromp!

Let's talk about the Tromp. 1. d4 Nf6 2.Bg5

I would like to know if any 2000+ players (or close) give the The Trompowsky a run around the block under tournament conditions. If so, and you have had a reasonable game with it, I'd appreciate an email with that game. Or post it here if you prefer. Perhaps you had a great position and failed to convert (tell me about it!!, sheez).

I appreciate this has been a much maligned opening in years gone by but is resurrected from time to time - twice significantly in the last 30 years. Of course the Poms about 10 years ago had some reasonable success.

The traditionalists at the Brisbane Chess Club aren't keen (although their respect for it is growing), but Jacob Edwards and a few other non traditional types always enjoy themselves when it is wheeled out.

I seldom play anything else (although I am certain my rating would improve if I did!). I would appreciate any intelligent discussion on The Tromp.
    Last edited by Basil; 29-05-2006 at 08:55 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

I'd be much more impressed if you tried it against 1. d4 e6 2. Bg5

I seem to recall a British GM singing its praises a few years back. Can't remember which one though.

Mickey Adams et al have all used it to good effect. But the Tromp king is Julian Hodgson. He's had some great games with it over the years and is never afraid to experiment.

He's had some disasters too, but then who hasn't?
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC International Master

The Tromp

It is dealt with well in Gallagher's "Beating the Anti King's Indians". These days many repertoire books give good lines against the Tromp. I am not revealing which one I like.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude
    I am not revealing which one I like.
    Go on, tell us. It's only a chess opening, not a plan for world domination.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude
    It is dealt with well in Gallagher's "Beating the Anti King's Indians". These days many repertoire books give good lines against the Tromp. I am not revealing which one I like.
    Thanks David. I appreciate 'special' plans aren't for general consumption; they really should be left for the board, but are you happy to talk generally?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    the Tromp king is Julian Hodgson.
    That's right. I remember he defeated Gufeld with it. Gufeld said "This is not chess. This is poker." JH retorted by pointing out who had won the game.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Duggan
    Thanks David. I appreciate 'special' plans aren't for general consumption; they really should be left for the board, but are you happy to talk generally?
    The Tromp is a very dangerous system to play against. Fortunately black has multiple choices of ways to counter it. The trick is to choose one that suits your style. In general terms asymetric defences usually involving c5 at some stage give greater winning and losing chances then variations based on d5.

So if you are a super solid stodge merchant play defences based on d5 and hope that white overreaches. On the other hand if you are a fighter play lines based on an early c5 and take your chances.

I agree about the danger. It exists for both sides. For black, it can be trappy and white certainly is open to over reaching.

The fun seems to really start when fight says "bugger this' from the get go and goes hard on the dark squares. Qb6, hitting b2, dark squared bishop out on the queenside and so forth.

I'll see if I can dig up a game of mine and discuss with any interested party.

Howard, any interest in 1.d4 d5 2.Bg5 ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Howard, any interest in 1.d4 d5 2.Bg5 ... ?
    Hi Boris, I'll play 2.Bg5 in bridge, given half a chance!

I think I covered my rating issue earlier!

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    wasn't rogers playing the tromp at one time?
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

THat's a serious challenge right there.

AR

Back on track

Fancy a game Howard?

1. d4 d5
    2. Bg5 h6

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Fancy a game Howard?

1. d4 d5
    2. Bg5 h6
    Hi Boris. Missed this one! I guess I've loud mouthed around here enough to be brought out into the open. So I won't shirk

Let's take this to the corespondence thread.

Cheers

Thread Information