Value of long games

Can someone please tell me if a longer game has greater weight for rating changes?

For example, if I defeat an oponent 300 points higher than I in an 60 +0 ACF rated game, would this be worth the same as the same result in a 120 + 60 game for instance?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Can someone please tell me if a longer game has greater weight for rating changes?

For example, if I defeat an oponent 300 points higher than I in an 60 +0 ACF rated game, would this be worth the same as the same result in a 120 + 60 game for instance?
    Length of game is not a consideration other than classifying it for rating in the standard or rapid list. Both games should be rated in the ACF standard list and therefore would be treated equally.

However, what would be a factor is the RD of your opponents. Defeating an opponent with a high RD (? or ??) would generally earn you less points than defeating one with a low RD (! or !!).
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Length of game is not a consideration other than classifying it for rating in the standard or rapid list. Both games should be rated in the ACF standard list and therefore would be treated equally.

However, what would be a factor is the RD of your opponents. Defeating an opponent with a high RD (? or ??) would generally earn you less points than defeating one with a low RD (! or !!).
    Thanks Rincewind.

Was this always the case? About 10 years ago I thought longer games were weighted more heavily. I could be wrong though.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Was this always the case? About 10 years ago I thought longer games were weighted more heavily. I could be wrong though.
    Not that I am aware of but Bill would know for sure.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

I believe the last time weightings were used was in the April 87 list whilst Ian Laurie was the ACF Ratings Officer.
    Shaun Press was ACF Ratings Officer from Dec 88 thru to Dec 92 and would be able to confirm that weightings were not used at that time.

Even when weightings were used it was based on the tournament rather than explcitly on longer games. If I recall correctly, Australian Championship/Open were weighted double standard events and State Championships 1.5 times standard events, however events that may well have been using the same time control as state championships were only rated as standard events. Junior events were rated at half standard events.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 24-05-2006 at 01:52 PM.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

I think this question raises interesting considerations. I think we broadly agree that very fast controls considerably reduce unique analysis, and favour learned patterns while longer games engender the converse.

At some point, of course, time must be a factor - as it is with most concerns. One could argue that a 60+ game is just as valuable as a 120 + 60 game, with 'time' being acnkowledged as part of the overall skill-set required for battle.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Thread Information