CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar

Talking Man finds bun on ceiling! (aka newspaper question for Howard Duggan)

G'day all, I was going to send this as a private message to Mr Duggan, but thought the amusement value might be worth it being aired 'on the board'.

Howard has mentioned that he is involved in the running of a newspaper in Queensland, so I thought he either might remember this one himself, or perhaps know someone who may remember it and be able to confirm.

A journo friend of mine told me this story about 10 years back, apparently there was a certain Editor with an quirky sense of humour who used to run a certain Queensland newspaper.

Every evening, he would review the headings written by the sub-editors for the stories to be printed the following morning.

If he didn't think that the heading was sufficiently relevant to the story in question, he would send back the following 'suggested correction' to the sub: "Man finds bun on ceiling!"

This worked well for many years, until one day, someone new was thrown into the role of a sub... (uh-oh! )

At least three stories went out the next day headed: "Man finds bun on ceiling!"

Have you ever heard of this one Howard?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

Under the new Workchoices laws 'boss finds bums on floor' would probably get them the sack.

Insight is about same-sex couples having kids. On now.

I haven't heard that story, but have heard similar sub'ing funnies. Have had a few ourselves.

I'd clarify that I have no problem relating my own largesse and talents, but I get a bit uncomfortable when they get discussed by others. There are a number of newspaper publishers in the chess community; David Lovevjoy owns and operates the Byron Echo, for instance.

At the end of the day, we are just K/N/O/B/S. Much the same as solicitors, of which there are an even greater number, both in the chess community at large, and this forum in particular. Thankfully, most keep their dribbling in check. It was Conrad Hilton, I belive, who said "to know is enough". Fools like me who continue to make oblique references should be treated with the disdain we deserve.

That is the case for the prosecution. If any poor sod wishes to defend me, I'd be forever grateful - not to mention intrigued. If my life depended on it, however, I'd call Bonham and Jessop.
    Last edited by Basil; 16-05-2006 at 10:16 PM.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

And David Lovejoy included Ian Roger's chess column, DO YOU????

HD
    If my life depended on it, I'd call Bonham and Jessop.

A/C
    And leave such luminaries such as Matt, FG and Starter?

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    And leave such luminaries such as Matt, FG and Starter?
    As incredulous as it sounds ...

'Luminaries' - I think that needs to be my word for the day. But it will have to share with 'phlegmatic' which is currently on air.
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    G'day all, I was going to send this as a private message to Mr Duggan...
    That's a bit formal isn't it? You can call me Pinorcle.

Thread Information