U/16 Olympiad
    Christopher Wallis
    Zhigen Wilson Lin
    Rukman Vijayakumar
    Ben Harris

CC International Master

Exellent selections

The selections look very good to me.

As always there will be some unlucky juniors who have missed out but this is unavoidable.

Congratulations to everyone who has been picked and to the selectors for making such a good fist of a difficult job.

CC Grandmaster
    What about Moulthun Ly?

CC Grandmaster
    And what about Michelle Lee?

Has she given up chess ?

CC Candidate Master
    Interesting field... Raymond better win the U12, i've being bagging out his Indian rival on icc a lot. Haha

And Molton's just giving others a chance to play Igor

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    And what about Michelle Lee?

Has she given up chess ?
    Has for some years!! (However I have it on good authority that she plans to return to chess when starting Uni in 2 years time (think it is 2 years - I've lost track).

This is of course not the whole story - the ACF introduced the concept of multiple selections this year. i.e according to the by-law selectors can endorse more than one person to represent Australia.

The ones listed above are the primary selections (i.e get free accommodation and food ), but there will be multiple selections in each category.

I assume Brett will be adding the extra names when he gets time from his busy schedule.

CC Candidate Master
    Hi Jenni,

Yes the names selected are the Primary selections.... secondary selections will be listed tonight.

Account Shoutbox Banned antichrist's Avatar
    Me sticking my nose in everywhere! Now only choose those with sufficient bread behind them to carry the dream - otherwise the positions are wasted (unless you choose an overflow).

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Me sticking my nose in everywhere! Now only choose those with sufficient bread behind them to carry the dream - otherwise the positions are wasted (unless you choose an overflow).
    Don't be silly Peter! Of course having money makes the whole exercise easier, but plenty of people have gone over with the aid of diligent fund-raising. NSW kids are supported very well by their JCL, and ACT kids, by Sport and Rec grants and the JCL, but it is amazing how much money you can make in a 3 month period selling chocolates! Libby obtained heaps of donations and sponsorship when she took Kayleigh - I think at one point she was in danger of making a profit.

So it is not hard -just takes a bit of get off the backside and do it.....

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Don't be silly Peter! Of course having money makes the whole exercise easier, but plenty of people have gone over with the aid of diligent fund-raising. NSW kids are supported very well by their JCL, and ACT kids, by Sport and Rec grants and the JCL, but it is amazing how much money you can make in a 3 month period selling chocolates! Libby obtained heaps of donations and sponsorship when she took Kayleigh - I think at one point she was in danger of making a profit.

So it is not hard -just takes a bit of get off the backside and do it.....

Good Point, Jenny and the more australian kidds will go overseas to get a taste of international chess, the better

I was under an impression that to seek donations (other than direct sponsorship), one has to be an incorporated organisation rather than an individual. Otherwise the collection activity could be semi-legal. I might be wrong though...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Good Point, Jenny and the more australian kidds will go overseas to get a taste of international chess, the better

I was under an impression that to seek donations (other than direct sponsorship), one has to be an incorporated organisation rather than an individual. Otherwise the collection activity could be semi-legal. I might be wrong though...
    You are correct - they were effectively "donations", but the way you do it is to ask for sponsorship, rather than donations. e.g. Libby sent out roughly 100 letters to every business she could think of - she asked for sponsorship for Kayleigh and received amazing things in return. Some companies sent money, some goods, which she used for raffles. No-one asked for anything in return, although Libby did use any of the sponsoing companies names when doing any publicity for Kayleigh and also took photos of Kayleigh overseas to do a report to the sponsors on return.

When it comes to chocolate of course it is "fund raising" - you earn a fairly hefty sum of money per box sold and boxes at work sell pretty quickly. Having them at chess comps (with the permission of the competition organiser) works very well as well.
    Last edited by jenni; 17-05-2006 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    When it comes to chocolate of course it is "fund raising" - you earn a fairly hefty sum of money per box sold and boxes at work sell pretty quickly. Having them at chess comps (with the permission of the competition organiser) works very well as well.
    especially when selling them for act purposes at nswca events

CC Candidate Master

nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude
    The selections look very good to me.

As always there will be some unlucky juniors who have missed out but this is unavoidable.

Congratulations to everyone who has been picked and to the selectors for making such a good fist of a difficult job.
    I agree, good selection and go aussie aussie, in world cup as well as chess!
    Never underestimate junior chess players

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    especially when selling them for act purposes at nswca events
    We are very good at filling vacuums. Although I am sure the ACTJCL would like to point out that it was ACT parents not an official ACT venture.

By the way it looks like FIDE are going to introduce an under 8 division. They made the resolution in 2004. It didn't happen at Belfort and who knows what will happen in Batumi - no regulations are up and anything could happen. (even a change of venue).

From what I have heard the under 8 will happen in 2007 (at this point Drug speeds up his training )

Thread Information