Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bobby Fischer - Sick, twisted and pathetic

Fischer may have been one of the greatest ever to play chess, but what a disgusting worm of a man he is - reading this page made me sick: http://home.att.ne.jp/moon/fischer/
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

I found my internet connection to the page concerned "sick, twisted and pathetic"

I decided to look at the email page but this took ages to download though I noted with interest someone from Maitland Australia wanting him to donate a pair of socks for auction ...

and also a certain "infamous?" DC ??

As for the man himself it's if he requires anti semitism so as to emulate / hero worship Alekhine. Drawing too long a bow ? I wonder.

As to referring to him as a worm I recall a story one of my teachers told me ... of a man walking by a drunk lying in the gutter and deciding to kick him viciously for the fun of it

We learn nothing new about the drunk ... but a lot about the man who kicked him.

I note that Kevin Bonham has a poll thread about who would want to be a full time chessplayer i.e. a GM

Fischer is the prime example of someone who "seemingly" has paid the price for professionalism with his sanity.

We might all wish to bear that in mind when considering votes or replies to that poll.

It is quite easy to write off everything he says as the rantings of a madman. However, one ought to be aware that sometimes elements of truth are buried within such rantings.

Let's not forget that the Israeli state or the Jewish people (taking into account the extent to which these terms intersect) are not fresh out of the Book of Isaiah "pure as the driven snow" seraphim or cherubim with respect to how they lobby to secure their place and influence within the world body politic.

eclectic

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eclectic
    Fischer is the prime example of someone who "seemingly" has paid the price for professionalism with his sanity.
    I would not draw that connection without strong evidence. Perhaps the life of a chess player - particularly one against a large bureaucratic machine, as Fischer might have felt himself to be at many points - would contribute to problems he already had, who knows?

The one thing that has been obvious to many for some time is that Fischer is very mentally ill indeed. Assessing his comments as if they are the work of a rational individual is generally a waste of time, and yes, very much like kicking the drunk in the gutter.

Let's not forget that the Israeli state or the Jewish people (taking into account the extent to which these terms intersect) are not fresh out of the Book of Isaiah "pure as the driven snow" seraphim or cherubim with respect to how they lobby to secure their place and influence within the world body politic.
    Actually I say let's forget anything to do with Israel-Palestine that isn't strictly relevant to chess unless it is discussed in the non-chess section.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    There was a review on another book about Fischer, in the Weekend Australian (last Saturday). It blows the lid on "Who was Fischer's father?" However, the book has "a burning hole" in it - no new words/interviews with the man himself.

"Fischer Goes to War"

BTW, who cares if he hates the Jews? Plenty of people hate plenty of people. As long as they aren't chucking bombs let them go purple in the lounge chairs.

CC Candidate Master
    I'm reading that Fischer book at the moment. Very interesting. They had access to old Russian records etc. They portray Fischer as an egomaniac/bastard, which is no surprise. What is interesting is that Spassky emerges as much more of a radical/ dissident than I'd realised. He was, for example, outspoken against Soviet iinvasion of Estonia and Czechoslovakia and there were concerns he might defect in 1972. Brave guy.

xxx

Re Fischer interviews ... he doesn't do them. He'll only do live (ie uncensored) radio, and that usually descends into anti-Jewish vitriol. Which is strange, of course, because Fischer is Jewish (on his mother's side, which makes him Jewish full-stop).
    cheers - paulb

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    BTW, who cares if he hates the Jews? Plenty of people hate plenty of people. As long as they aren't chucking bombs let them go purple in the lounge chairs.
    People are welcome to their personal opinions but when they try to preach their hate, invariably some stupid people will be influenced and it will bring covert racism out of the shadows - you only have to look as far as the effect One Nation had at its peak before people woke up to themselves.

CC Candidate Master
    Agree. It's a short step from blind hatred to war crimes when the conditions turn sour, so it's important to tackle racism.
    cheers - paulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    you only have to look as far as the effect One Nation had at its peak before people woke up to themselves.
    ppl didnt wake up to themselves bruce, PHON party's platform was stolen by the howard government. But this would be going over old threads

Fischer is a realist

Unless you are a position similar to Bobby, you cannot feel his pain. Notice how a human being, when being attacked, fights back? He is only a human that has been pushed to the limit. Which explains his hatred for the Jews in general. In his mind, all the evidence is stacking up against them.
    But would you like to have what happened to Bobby happen to yourself? Fischer is a realist!

I found my internet connection to the page concerned "sick, twisted and pathetic"

I decided to look at the email page but this took ages to download though I noted with interest someone from Maitland Australia wanting him to donate a pair of socks for auction ...

and also a certain "infamous?" DC ??

As for the man himself it's if he requires anti semitism so as to emulate / hero worship Alekhine. Drawing too long a bow ? I wonder.

As to referring to him as a worm I recall a story one of my teachers told me ... of a man walking by a drunk lying in the gutter and deciding to kick him viciously for the fun of it

We learn nothing new about the drunk ... but a lot about the man who kicked him.

I note that Kevin Bonham has a poll thread about who would want to be a full time chessplayer i.e. a GM

We might all wish to bear that in mind when considering votes or replies to that poll.

It is quite easy to write off everything he says as the rantings of a madman. However, one ought to be aware that sometimes elements of truth are buried within such rantings.

eclectic
    Yes good to see mr.DC is still around keeping it real. I don't think that sock prices in Maitland would be adversely affected by the importation though

I forgot to mention that this business regarding Alekhine is also a set-up by the communists. Alekhine's signature was attached to some documents that he did not write. If you are in a position of power, it certainly comes with its own trials and tribulations!

Well, I've had my say on the issues here, if someone wishes to discuss more, then PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffMcKagan
    Unless you are a position similar to Bobby, you cannot feel his pain. Notice how a human being, when being attacked, fights back? He is only a human that has been pushed to the limit. Which explains his hatred for the Jews in general. In his mind, all the evidence is stacking up against them.
    But would you like to have what happened to Bobby happen to yourself? Fischer is a realist!
    Even so, he remains mentally ill in certain respects - naturally people get twisted by things happening ot them yet it poisons their rationality. Even if bad things happen, human reasoning exists to separate such misguided feelings. I'm surprised you would take such a stance Duff

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Dickinson
    I'm surprised you would take such a stance Duff
    Don't be surprised, i'm just saying it how I feel... I don't believe he is deluded.

Don't be surprised, i'm just saying it how I feel... I don't believe he is deluded.
    From what you told me, perhaps not delusion but simply a lot of mental strain upon himself, from events in his life. However, I maintain the strain or pressure, whatever you may call it, distorts his rational perception of the world. I could never agree that what he has alluded to is justified in any way.

CC International Master
    Yes good to see mr.DC is still around keeping it real.
    who?

Thread Information