Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

2006 Torino Olympiad [All Olympiad results discussion here - mod]

The Fide website now has a link to the list of teams for the 2006 Olympiad.

I see Australia is ranked 45th on rating of the federations in the open section and 33rd in the womens section.

And for our PNG followers, they are ranked 118 out of 128 listed federations in the open section. If there is an even number of federations, there wont be the battle to avoid the bye

http://schach.wienerzeitung.at/Welt....92&lan=1&nr=-1

How about we have discussions on this thread during the tournament to avoid having about ten threads for the olympiad

CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    It is interesting that Somalia,Taiwan,Malawi and Sierre Leone are listed as competing countries in the olympiad,they dont appear on FIDE's official site as current members of FIDE and of these countries only Taiwan has one player listed with an actual FIDE rating.

Sierre Leone also only has 3 boards.
    You would think FIDE would give them at least four airline tickets.

Another weird thing is Nigeria,where 2 of their players who are IM's[board 5 and 6] are not even given ratings.
    IM Odion [board5] has actually won a medal at a previous olympiad .

Surely even if your federation hasnt paid its bills they wouldnt take away your rating. Their seeding of 126 is just a laugh,they should be at least 70th.

Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    It is interesting that Somalia,Taiwan,Malawi and Sierre Leone are listed as competing countries in the olympiad,they dont appear on FIDE's official site as current members of FIDE and of these countries only Taiwan has one player listed with an actual FIDE rating.

Sierre Leone also only has 3 boards.
    You would think FIDE would give them at least four airline tickets.

Another weird thing is Nigeria,where 2 of their players who are IM's[board 5 and 6] are not even given ratings.
    IM Odion [board5] has actually won a medal at a previous olympiad .

Surely even if your federation hasnt paid its bills they wouldnt take away your rating. Their seeding of 126 is just a laugh,they should be at least 70th.
    I understand that from questions I asked about phillipines players is that if your federation owes money to fide, your fide rating doesnt get published.

Therefore, they probably have fide ratings previously, just that they arent published. There have been claims that one side of the presidency battle has been promising to ignore money owed to fide in return for their vote (dont know how true it is, but it has been claimed.).

Also I understand that it isnt unusual for countries to make up their numbers by getting extras during the tournament ie from people who are from the more successful countries who there in some kind of non playing capacity, especially if the ring-in does have some kind of connection to the country they are going to play for at the olympiad.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Agree with 442 - they should be seeded correctly.

FIDE seems to assume unrated = 1600 for seeding purposes. This creates some odd outcomes. I would say PNG (118th on paper with two 2000+s and rest unrated) are probably a stronger side than Bermuda (116th with one 2000+, one unrated and three sub-2000s) ... provided Shaun doesn't get drug-tested again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    provided Shaun doesn't get drug-tested again.
    with random drug testing, this is a certainty.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    ... provided Shaun doesn't get drug-tested again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    with random drug testing, this is a certainty.
    Unless I am mistaken, if drug testing is truly done randomly, Shaun would be no less likely to be tested at this olympiad than anyone else. But I'm not convinced the testing is completely "random". Might they perhaps be inclined to target him because of what happened last time?

Reminds me of a scene in "Inside Man" where a Sikh guy with beard and turban talks about always getting "randomly" searched at airports.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    Reminds me of a scene in "Inside Man" where a Sikh guy with beard and turban talks about always getting "randomly" searched at airports.
    On a recent holiday to Queensland, I had to go through the usual metal detectors at the airport. I was asked (quite rudely, I must say) by one of the security guards, to remove my cap and put it through the metal detectors. I thought that was strange, since some other people were going through with caps on. I did as I was asked, but remarked to my travelling companon that if I was hiding something under my cap, I could be hiding the same thing on another part of my body.
    Before I knew it, 2 huge security guards rushed at me and told me that I had been selected for a 'random' pat down. I told them that I would prefer it if they did not touch me when one of them put his arms on my shoulders and the other one told me that in that case they would handcuff me and I would have to wait 6 hours for the Federal Police to arrive. Well I agreed to be patted down after that and went on my way. Good to see them doing their job but I don't think it was necessary to push their weight around like that.
    Last edited by WhiteElephant; 07-05-2006 at 06:10 PM.

I understand that from questions I asked about phillipines players is that if your federation owes money to fide, your fide rating doesnt get published.
    I am aware of countries temporarily having their ratings delisted when they dont pay their financial dues. But seeing as they are competiting in the olympiad you would think FIDE has either waived or paid their bill.
    Thus giving all the nigerian players their appropiate ratings and consequently nigeria's appropiate seeding.

Is it possible to compete for a country at the olympiad while that country isnt a current member of FIDE?

And if so,why does FIDE allow this?

CC International Master
    Based on the currently published seedings (which must still be fluid as Australia is now 48) the first round opponents would be Iraq (Open) and Honduras (Women).

I think, though, that final seedings may be based on the top four (or three in the Women's) whereas the publsihed rankings use the average of the whole team as board orders have not been declared.

One interesting point is that after all the dramas last time Susan Polgar is not listed in the USA Women's team.
    Last edited by Ian Rout; 12-05-2006 at 03:42 PM.

I noticed that the board one player for Mauritius is listed as belonging to the English federation...Puerto Rico also has a Columbian federation player on board one.

Does anyone know how dual citizenship works in relation to qualifying for an olympiad team?
    Is reunification possible?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i82PBpw2Vg0

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    I noticed that the board one player for Mauritius is listed as belonging to the English federation...Puerto Rico also has a Columbian federation player on board one.

Does anyone know how dual citizenship works in relation to qualifying for an olympiad team?
    Good Idea..I am off to the next chess olympiad as board 1 for some banana republic

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Good Idea..I am off to the next chess olympiad as board 1 for some banana republic
    make sure you get a good price

I think I have seen that the olympiad is 13 rounds, wasnt there discussion and PNG, ACF etc wanted it kept at 14 rounds.

Disclaimer: hazy memory

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    You live in one already and didn't make the team!!
    Last edited by bergil; 12-05-2006 at 04:45 PM.
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

I think I have seen that the olympiad is 13 rounds, wasnt there discussion and PNG, ACF etc wanted it kept at 14 rounds.

Disclaimer: hazy memory
    The ACF voted to keep 14 rounds but the majority of federations by quite a margin voted for 13.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Thread Information