Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broadband question

Hey Bazza . . .why change your avatar mate? Is that the hamster that's on channel 10 on weekday mornings?

To all - any1 got any experience with Telstra Bigpond? They recently dropped prices to $29.95/mth. How's their service and performance like?

Cheers boys!!

AR

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Hey Bazza . . .why change your avatar mate? Is that the hamster that's on channel 10 on weekday mornings?
    Yes, it is Boss, one of the Ham-Ham gang from Hamtaro. A change is as good as a holiday.

To all - any1 got any experience with Telstra Bigpond? They recently dropped prices to $29.95/mth. How's their service and performance like?
    Bigpond have a very bad name in the broadband marketplace. I've got no experience with using them as an ISP but they say where there is smoke, there's fire. The amount of smoke going around with Bigpond there must be one healthy fire there somewhere.

The 29.95 plan only got announced Monday I think but from what I heard a lot of ISPs who buy their bandwidth from Telstra wholesale were upset because theyr were undercutting the wholesale rate. The ACCC were also going to investigate to see if the pricing plan was anti-competitive.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    I signed up with cable, since there was an offer for free two months, free install = save about 310$ and its now a 10G limit then a 64 cap.

Its gotta be faster than ADSL, and iinet is the best ADSL service, yet there are many downtimes of 2 hour blocks. Thats the only disadvantage with ADSL, since the ISP relies on the phone line. So when big storms occur, gl getting on the net.

Cable is 10MBIT uncapped down, 128 up. You basically share bandwidth with people in your street so it ends up letting you download at about half a megabyte per second, which is about 10 times faster than my 512k(bit) ADSL.

There are so many people waiting for the install, it took them 5 weeks to get someone out here to install. Hes supposed to be here next tuesday. This delay is because of popularity of their unlimited offer.

I only use about 8 GB /download per month out of my 32 GB per month allowance. Telstra is 10G, thats under what I usually download, and 10 times faster, and $10 cheaper per month. The plan im joining is actually unlimited. After 10GB of download, it caps the speed to 64kb/s which is not bad, because you dont have to pay for extra d/l.

Service is really shit, so Telstra ADSL/cable only recommended for tech heads with good knowledge of networking and internet. If you dunno what you're doing, good luck getting them out there, because every time you want someone out there, it will take ATLEAST 4 weeks (friends experience).

Im not sure what $30 plan you are looking at, but it looks like ADSL broadband. For ADSL, the best ISP would have to be iinet, according to everyone with iinet, without iinet and whirlpool forums.

For cable broadband, many people dont really have a choice. Its either optus or bigpond.

But if you're a CS fan, then bigpond cable the way to go, since you get <30ms on GA servers

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    Bigpond have a very bad name in the broadband marketplace. I've got no experience with using them as an ISP but they say where there is smoke, there's fire. The amount of smoke going around with Bigpond there must be one healthy fire there somewhere.
    How can you say such things? chesslover is a Telstra shareholder and will surely be here any moment to tell you of the wonders of all things Telstra and Bigpond - despite all evidence to the contrary. I've never dealt with them in broadband, but the proportion of people who have problems with them as an ISP seems to way exceed even their market share.

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    How can you say such things? chesslover is a Telstra shareholder and will surely be here any moment to tell you of the wonders of all things Telstra and Bigpond - despite all evidence to the contrary. I've never dealt with them in broadband, but the proportion of people who have problems with them as an ISP seems to way exceed even their market share.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Sorry. Does that mean I'm the weakest link?

As Jeo gave cable and iiNet a health plug, I might just add that both ADSL ISP's I've used in the last 12 months have been good.

Internode have very good service and reasonable plans.

Swiftel have a more spartan technical support infrastructure but lots of features and very competitive rates. I recommend them to anyone who knows how to wire their telephone filters in themselves.

Anyone want to discuss either of these ISPs further I'd be happy to talk further via email/PM.

Another question please fellaz. What is your view of AMD chips? Any good? Are they as fast or faster than Intel? What about overheating problems? Are AMD good in laptops?

Thanks agains.

AR

Another question please fellaz. What is your view of AMD chips? Any good? Are they as fast or faster than Intel? What about overheating problems? Are AMD good in laptops?
    One question? What have you got against posting new threads?

Not only do you take over threads with nothing to do with your question. Quite often they aren't even in the right forum!

That being said, in my experience AMD are good chips but they do run hot. (See my thread in the hardware forum regarding the Badong.) Don't know abut laptops but as they are generally manufacturer built, if the thing overheats under warranty, it's their problem. Although it could be a pain for the user too.

I've used Toshiba, IBM and Compaq laptops and they are/were all Intel processors, so I can't comment much more on the laptop question.

As Jeo said telstra Unlimited cable plan is $69.95/mth.
    Download speed is uncapped, upload is 128.
    After 10Gb speed is restricted to 64kbps.

Telatra ADSL Unlimited is $69.95/mth if download speed is 256kbps and upload is 64kbps, or it is $99.95/mth if download speed is 512kbps and upload is 128kbps. both of these prices require that telstra is your preselected carrier for local and long distance phone calls.
    If telstra is not your carrier then the respective charges are $86.45/mth and $116.45/mth.
    After 10Gb speed is restricted to 64kbps.

From the 1st of March 2004 Optus cable Unlimted is $69.95/mth if you have optus as a phone carrier or $79.95/mth if not.
    After 12Gb the speed is restricted to between 20kbps and 28.8kbps.

Optus also offer an Unlimited Pro option for $109.95/mth and $129/mth depending on whether Optus is your phone carrier or not.
    This is only speed limimited once you exceed 20Gb of download.

Optus DSL Unlimited plan is $79.95/mth or $99.95/mth depending on whether optus is your phone carrier.
    Download speed is 512kbps and upload is 128kbps.
    After 12Gb it is speed restricted as above.

Optus DSL Unlimited plan is $129.95/mth or $159.95/mth depending on whether optus is your phone carrier.
    Download speed is 512kbps and upload is 128kbps.
    After 20Gb it is speed restricted as above.

For both of these Optus DSDL plans the download speed can be increased to 1500kbps and upload to 256kps for an additional payment of $29/mth.

To get an idea of the speeds a 2mb file would take around 35secs to download using the Optus DSL 512kbps link. This would drop to 12secs for the DSL 1500kbps link and for Optus cable its about 5secs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Cox
    One question? What have you got against posting new threads?

Not only do you take over threads with nothing to do with your question. Quite often they aren't even in the right forum!
    Soweee...see, I'm too bloody lazy. I think of a question while I'm in say, chess, and I just post the question there. It's a bit like normal conversation really - you know, all natural meandering.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

AR

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    ADSL's nature itself is not that good. It uses phone line so no matter who the ISP, you still rely on telstra to uphold the quality of phone line.

AR:

AMD will fry your food for you at no extra cost. I have two and I know what Im talking about. I have a 1.2 (1.2Ghz) Thunderbird in a full tower which is OK.... But then I got a 2200+ (1.73Ghz) AMD 3x256mb ddr in a massive server case and its hell. I have a tank of a fan/heatsink sitting on the CPU, 8? fans and an air coolant that cost ~200. Now... Run a chess engine anytime in the summer, day or night, and it will crash whenever it feels like it. Temp at summer (when CPU is doing nothing) is around 70.

Winter it is OK, but having a computer that relies on weather really sucks. But as far as speed goes, AMD is VERY VERY fast.

Heres a tip about Pentium:

I have a P4 (333Mhz B Version Bus) 2.0Ghz 512MB Ram Laptop, AND ITS VERY SLOW. I found out why aswell. As the heat rises, it will clock back on speed and versions... eg when temp hits 60, it will clock back to P3 1.5 Ghz, and keep going down so that the temp stays down aswell.

Now I am told that C Version (400Mhz Bus) P4's are very good, and that its fast and temp stays < 50c.

So here are the setups that Im thinking about for the next comp...

AMD 3200 (64bit) (well priced) or P4 XE 3200 (too expensive right now) or the P4 Normal 3200.

XE P4 has Level 3? Cache which is > 1mb.

Certainly going to get atleast 2GB ram, since 1 piece of Geil or Corsair 1G RAM costs $300. Back when I got my thunderbird (which has 3x128sd@133Mhz) 128MB ram used to cost $200.

I'll get some pricings for the CPUs on here later.

I know a coupla of youse blokes here work in the IT industry. Whaddya reckon of this trend to ship off your jobs to India? Got anything to say against it?

AR

Account Permanently Banned

Deal?

I know a coupla of youse blokes here work in the IT industry. Whaddya reckon of this trend to ship off your jobs to India? Got anything to say against it?

AR
    Mr R.

I know a lot.
    I might answer if you followed Mod. Barry's request.
    Then again I might not because Company policy on public discussion on this.

starter

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Then again I might not because Company policy on public discussion on this.
    You don't work for Telstra, do you matey?

AR

Account Permanently Banned

How do you start a thread?

You don't work for Telstra, do you matey?

AR
    Good try.
    But the board is set-up incorrectly.
    Need to rotate 90 degrees and the thread will appear. It would make Baz so happy to see a bit of thread-discipline.

Better than you ask. I worked for Telstra; got outsourced to IBM in 1997; and now involved in the India global sourcing.
    See you on a new thread?

starter

Thread Information