World Youth Championships 2006

As I have mentioned on the thread dealing with selections for this event, FIDE has announced that it will be held in Batumi, Georgia and not in Turkey as we had previously assumed.

Here is what is in their news column

With the support of their Prime Minister for the bid of Batumi, Georgia won over two other bidders to host the World Youth Championship 2006. Many of today`s Grandmasters started our in this event, such as incidentally GM Sisniega of Mexico in the photo above. The World Youth has grown to be a major developmental event in the FIDE Calendar, second in number of participants only to the Olympiad.
    This looks like a blatant political decision as Turkey is anti-Kirsan and I'm sure Georgia isn't.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

CC International Master

Batumi!

Dear Dennis,
    Batumi is a very beautiful part of the world.Warm waters of Black sea plus well known georgian hospitality in conjunction of local goverment support surely will make event a very memorable one.And also weather is always good there.I think Fide made a right choice.

CC International Master four four two's Avatar

The timing of the change is suspect...

Leonid,I dont think anyone is suggesting that Batumi is a terrible city.
    But it does look like political payback for the "Right Moves" nominated vice president. Lets not forget that Turkey has just hosted the european individual championship...so their competency isnt in question.

CC International Master

Politics,politics

442 ,you may may be right about political motives of selecting Batumi but we do not know all facts behind this decision.It is worth remember that Fide were always a highly political organisation with Kirsan or not.Sometimes its very wise to make right move towards an endgame .May be ACF declared their hand a bit prematurely.

I agree that FIDE has always been political...today its just more overt.

On the FIDE website they refer to two other cities bidding for the tournament,they dont however mention which countries they were in.
    Does anyone know what the other country besides Turkey was that missed out on the "bid"?

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    As I have mentioned on the thread dealing with selections for this event, FIDE has announced that it will be held in Batumi, Georgia and not in Turkey as we had previously assumed.
    Did they happen to mention the dates?

I don't think that the ACF's position will have been a factor in its deciding for Georgia over Turkey and whatever the third applicant was and I didn't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with Batumi either. I do however think that the decision was probably politically motivated though that is not exceptional especially at election time and not only on the part of FIDE!

I understand that the World Women's Championship was scheduled for Batumi a while ago and had to be moved apparently because of local political considerations. I don't know any details of that so this one may come off OK.

I cannot find any dates or other information about the venue apart from what I posted. I have been told that the dates are 20 - 31 October but haven't been able to confirm it.

The details, taken from the FIDE calendar, for the World Juniors and Girls, the u20 event, are as follows:

Oct, 02 - Oct, 17 2006 World Juniors/Girls Championships
    City: Yerevan
    Organizer: Armenian Chess Federation
    Type: Standard
    System: Swiss

It is quite separate form the Youth Championships.

The main thing I was concerned to do was to get out the info about the Youth event as many of us had thought it would be in Turkey. Also we now have a thread on the event proper rather than just the selection process.

If I find out anything more, I'll post it as I assume others will if they do.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop

I understand that the World Women's Championship was scheduled for Batumi a while ago and had to be moved apparently because of local political considerations. I don't know any details of that so this one may come off OK.

DJ
    Georgia was potentially in a state of civil war not long after they nominated them for the womens world championship.

Dates

I see that Bill G has found that the dates are in the report of the FIDE Presidential Board that is also mentioned on the FIDE Home page.

The relevant part is as follows:

After due consideration of the bids for the World Youth Championships 2006, the Board approved the application from the Georgian Chess Federation. Backed by its Prime Minister, the event shall be held from 20 to 31 October in Batumi.
    DJ

Thread Information