Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC Rookie

Need help with 1. e4 d5...

After 1. e4 d5 2. pxp Qxp 3. Nc3 Qe5+

How do I proceed? 4. KNe2 or Be2 or Qe2

What is the best move and how what are my strategic goals?

The center squares are completely abandoned and it seems like to even out the attack, Qe2 should offer a swap.

For black, is this a smart aggresive play to play 2. pxp Qxp?

Should white play 2. pxp or try and secure those center sqaures?

(edited: s/b 1. e4 not 1. e2.)
    Last edited by StoneWall; 18-02-2004 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Updated position

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    I have no idea about 1. e2.

Do you have ChessBase 8? You can play out the moves and it will search the DB for that opening and give a report aswell.

CC Rookie

Whoops. I meant e4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    I have no idea about 1. e2.

Do you have ChessBase 8? You can play out the moves and it will search the DB for that opening and give a report aswell.
    I meant e4.

(what's chessbase 8?)

redo:

After 1. e4 d5 2. pxp Qxp 3. Nc3 Qe5+

How do I proceed? 4. KNe2 or Be2 or Qe2

What is the best move and how what are my strategic goals?

The center squares are completely abandoned and it seems like to even out the attack, Qe2 should offer a swap.

For black, is this a smart aggresive play to play 2. pxp Qxp?

Should white play 2. pxp or try and secure those center sqaures?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    Chessbase 8 - www.chessbase.com

PGN Viewer

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    If you are interested in buying any ChessBase software I can get you 30% discount, email me: Jeo@chesskit.com

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Hi StoneWall,

3...Qe5+ for Black is a mistake. Black normally plays 3...Qa5 or sometimes 3...Qd8 or 3...Qd6.

After 3...Qe5+?! I would play 4.Be2. Then next move you can play 5.Nf3 (attacking the queen if Black hasn't moved it again) and the move after that you can castle. On move 6 you will be castled kingside with two knights developed and ready to play Re1 when you want to (or d4 grabbing space in the centre) while Black will only have one piece and his queen out with his king still stuck in the middle. White is clearly better.

There is no point in playing 4.Qe2. If your opponent is weaker than you or around the same strength you should press for an advantage instead of swapping Qs. If your opponent is stronger and knows it, they will not swap queens anyway, and then your Q will be blocking your Bishop.

2...Qxd5 is OK for Black, 2...Nf6 is also very common. 2.exd5 for White is not the only move but by far the commonest.

Against a low-rated opponent look for opportunities to gain time by chasing the queen. Weak players (especially below 1000) playing this opening will often bring their Q out and let it get kicked all over the board, losing heaps of time.

Be2 is good

As Kevin said, Be2 is the correct move and leaves Black a long way behind in development. A Queen in the middle of the board in the opening is not usually beneficial. There are a lot of pretty games where White defeats Black quickly due to the bad placement of the black queen. I wouldnt say white is winning after Be2, but hes sure on his way...

CC resident nutcase Trent Parker's Avatar
    actually i think i read somewhere they call this the patzer's variation. lol
    GO THE DRAGONS!
    GO Western Sydney Wanderers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamski's signature
    God exists. Short and to the point.
    This is the reason I do not wade into religion threads.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tparker
    actually i think i read somewhere they call this the patzer's variation.
    Patzer see a check, patzer give a check, or something like that. Another common patzer queen check is Qe2+ in the French Exchange before the f1-bishop has been developed. Gives Black an extra tempo for castling and then a white queen lined up on the white king for Black to play ...Re8.

There is a little trap in the line 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qe5+. After 4.Be2 some Blacks may play 4...Bg4 hoping for 5.Nf3? when 5...Bxf3 gives White bad pawns. Just play 5.d3 or 5.d4 instead and get on with developing.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 01-03-2004 at 05:55 PM.

Theres an even better Black Queen move for white. If black plays 3.Qc6?? Its lights out for blacks game, when white pins the Queen onto the King with his bishop.

CC Rookie
    I know the opening 1.e4 d5 very well. I always play it with black. But I hate it to play 1.e4 d5 2.exd Qxd. After 3. Nc3 you have to move your queen for the second time and black will develop his second piece. When you move your queen again, don't go to e5:
    1.e4 d5 2.exd Qxd 3.Nc3 Qe5 (better go to a5 or d8) 4.Be2 Nc6 5.Nf3 and white is almost done with developing.
    Ok that's why I play it different with black:
    1.e4 d5 2.exd Nf6! 3.c4 (d4, Bb5+, and Nc3 are possible to but will lose the pawn) 3....e6 (c6 is more easy to play) 4.dxe Bxe 5.d4 Bb4+ 6.Be2 (don't play 6.Nc3??) 6....Qe7. Black is a pawn behind but developed 3 more pieces then white, and I win a lot more then I lose in this opening.

PGN Viewer

Hello Davevanderkist

Welcome to the BB

I also like to play 2....Nf6 and have beaten some players rated higher than myself with this opening.

Just out of curiosity what do you play if white plays 3.d4 ?
    GO THE DRAGONS!

CC Rookie
    Hello chess nut,
    Thanks for welcoming me.
    I understand why you ask it. This is the line I dislike most. And I'm very happy with your question, because I found a nice looking line, 2 minutes ago, for black now. The problem was 1.e4 d5 2.exd Nf6 3.d4 Nxd4 4.c4. Oh man I hate this
    Here my best game in this line, 5.Bg5 isn't normal but it is a nice game (after move 44 we had both 2 minutes on the clock). After this game I will show you my new line. I hope you have other good advices on the lines with 3.d4

PGN Viewer

My new line:
    1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Nf6 3. d4 Bg4 4. Be2 Bxe2 5. Qxe2 Qxd5 6. Nf3 e6 7. O-O Bd6 8.
    c4 Qh5 9. Nc3 Nc6 10. h3 O-O-O

PGN Viewer

Yeah i play the Bg4 variation, which can lead into a gambit... if white plays f3 and then c4, but black has a massive lead in development.....
    GO THE DRAGONS!

CC Rookie
    Do you have some games? I didn't play it before.

Thread Information