Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Janis Joplin

Janis Joplin

Denis
    These are the Janis Joplin songs which I highly recommend.

Sumertime (with Big Brother and Holding Co not with Jimmy Hendrix)
    A woman left lonely
    Cry Baby
    Ball and Chain
    Get it while you can
    Piece of my heart
    Amazing Grace

Any new Janis Joplin fans out there?

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    Any new Janis Joplin fans out there?
    I think their brains are so fried from 60's experimentation that they can't work out how to respond to your enquiry.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

I will let you in a secret, I go to a chess club which is full of 60s has beings, I tell you they are all out of their minds and going further down quickly.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I will let you in a secret, I go to a chess club which is full of 60s has beings, I tell you they are all out of their minds and going further down quickly.
    Is Jeff Buckley the new Janis Joplin? There seems to be parallels in life and subject matter if not form of expression.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Is Jeff Buckley the new Janis Joplin? There seems to be parallels in life and subject matter if not form of expression.
    Haven't heard of him,but form of expression was what it was all about. Her Summertime does everything

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Why is it that only chicks seem to like Jeff Buckley? All of my girlfriends have raved about him but the first time I listened to his stuff I thought....geez he makes Brian Adams look good. I get the suicidal/ self-destructive parallels with Janis Joplin though.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    Why is it that only chicks seem to like Jeff Buckley? All of my girlfriends have raved about him but the first time I listened to his stuff I thought....geez he makes Brian Adams look good. I get the suicidal/ self-destructive parallels with Janis Joplin though.
    I am going to upset my relos when it they are putting me "down". Instead of ruddy hymns they will be blasted with Janis and the Doors "Light My Fire". I will leave some money in my will for a big party if you all want to turn up with your chessboards and give me a proper send off.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteElephant
    Why is it that only chicks seem to like Jeff Buckley?
    I'm a counterexample.

Her Summertime does everything
    You have to listen to Hallelujah. If that doesn't give you goosebumps I don't know what will. The guy just did not write a bad lyric and (in this song) the music is haunting.

You have to listen to Hallelujah. If that doesn't give you goosebumps I don't know what will. The guy just did not write a bad lyric and (in this song) the music is haunting.
    To clarify, I note that Hallelujah were actually penned by Leonard Cohen. But it doesn't change what I said about the ability of Jeff Buckley as a lyricist in his own right, and it was Jeff's version from the album Grace which I was referring to in particular.

I am sorry but Jeff has already had his legs cut under him by White Elephant. I heard some Johnson chap from Sydney way, he was supposed to have a big name, Gaud Almighty, he put me to sleep. Yet this bird I was with was raving over him. Is he a good looker or something.

I don't think there is a substitute for Joplin's voice, lyric suitability and style. A closed mind of course.

As stated earlier paradise would have been Joplin and Cocker together. He could sing over one of her tapes now but his voice is shot. Imagine them singing Ball and Chain together.

I thought you were an excitement machine. Perhaps old age has cooled your blood.

I thought you were an excitement machine. Perhaps old age has cooled your blood.
    Ravi Shankar would get anyone's blood going at the appropriate moment. His 20 minute lead up and climax is the ultimate -- complete with relaxation-mode ending. Have you experienced it? All physical and mental is drained. Out the window with "One more time"! Then relax quietly to Joplin. More moody stuff with Sgt Peppers or Norwegian Wood, While my Guitar.. etc.

Never mind Ravi Shankar. Check out her daughter.

AR

Thread Information