Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Player's first rating?

Forgive me if this is has been covered previously, but I was unable to unearth any relevant information.
    How is a player's first rating calculated?
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

They have to play a certain number of games against other rated players ... not sure how many, but I think its somewhere around 12-15 (someone else can clarify that).
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    I think I'll let Bill link to or provide the details about the initial rating as I'm sure I will get some detail wrong in how it is done if I try off the top of my head. But as for the number of games vs rated players required for a published ACF rating, I believe the answer is 9.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bourke
    Forgive me if this is has been covered previously, but I was unable to unearth any relevant information.
    How is a player's first rating calculated?
    The player needs to play a total of 9 rateable games.

The new players rating is calculated from all his results within the rating period against both rated players and unrated players who the system has been able to rate within the rating period.

Of course new players who score 0% or 100% for the period remain unrated.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos

The new players rating is calculated from all his results within the rating period against both rated players and unrated players who the system has been able to rate within the rating period.

Thanks for that fellows.
    Now to make life difficult, is there a formula that I can apply to 5 and 6 games to let some younger players what sort of rating they would have provisionally at this point.
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

A similar question, but for FIDE rated games. I have played 14 games so far (according to the FIDE stats for myself) - 5 wins, 3 draws, 6 losses (so not a 0% or 100% record). How many games do I need to get into the FIDE system before I get a FIDE rating? I have read the FIDE handbook on ratings without much success, but it may be in there somewhere, or by inference perhaps.
    Scott.. enjoying Melbourne and Wyndham Chess Club and Hobsons Bay Chess club!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by SHump
    A similar question, but for FIDE rated games. I have played 14 games so far (according to the FIDE stats for myself) - 5 wins, 3 draws, 6 losses (so not a 0% or 100% record). How many games do I need to get into the FIDE system before I get a FIDE rating? I have read the FIDE handbook on ratings without much success, but it may be in there somewhere, or by inference perhaps.
    Only games against rated opponents count. I think you need a total of 9.

CC FIDE Master

Provisonal Rating

Unless things have changed, while 9 games gets you a rating, unless Uncle Bill has changed the rules, this got you a 'Provisional rating'. It still listed on the rating list as normal, but the rating goes up and down more until a player reaches 30 games when the rating is no longer 'Provisional', and is an established rating.

It's been a while William since I was provisionally rated, is this still the case?
    Lee Forace

Forace´s Legacy - Swap off when you are down.

It's better to set goals that one cannot acheive than to settle for mediocrity.

FIDE ratings

Lee - I am only talking FIDE ratings here. So I will need to check which of my 14 games were against FIDE rated players it seems.
    Last edited by SHump; 13-11-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderspirit
    Unless things have changed, while 9 games gets you a rating, unless Uncle Bill has changed the rules, this got you a 'Provisional rating'. It still listed on the rating list as normal, but the rating goes up and down more until a player reaches 30 games when the rating is no longer 'Provisional', and is an established rating.
    "Provisional" ratings with that sharp demarcation between <30 games and 30 games no longer exist in the ACF system. That was an ELO-system thing. Under Glicko-2 the rate at which your rating goes up and down is a function of many variables - number of games played affects it but on something more like a sliding scale. How recently you have played, how volatile your results have been, and the same sorts of factors for your opponents are all part of the mix.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

OK looking at the FIDE site, from my grand total of 14 FIDE games, 6 of them (1 win, 1 draw) were against players with FIDE ratings. My 14 games looks rather tame against other players that I have played but also still do not have a FIDE rating (Natasha Bortsova has 28 games; David Toper has 34 games).

I guess I, like others, will just have to keep plugging away with some FIDE rated events, and hope to play FIDE rated players, if they are to achieve a FIDE Rating (at what FIDE rated player games count?).

I guess I am only looking down this path, as the Doeberl Major either requires you to have a FIDE rating (<2000) or an ACF rating (between 1400 and 2000), and I am aiming to go into that event next year. My ACF rating is already in the right range, but you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by SHump
    OK looking at the FIDE site, from my grand total of 14 FIDE games, 6 of them (1 win, 1 draw) were against players with FIDE ratings. My 14 games looks rather tame against other players that I have played but also still do not have a FIDE rating (Natasha Bortsova has 28 games; David Toper has 34 games).

I guess I, like others, will just have to keep plugging away with some FIDE rated events, and hope to play FIDE rated players, if they are to achieve a FIDE Rating (at what FIDE rated player games count?).

I guess I am only looking down this path, as the Doeberl Major either requires you to have a FIDE rating (<2000) or an ACF rating (between 1400 and 2000), and I am aiming to go into that event next year. My ACF rating is already in the right range, but you never know...
    Scott, according to the FIDE website you have only played 4 games at the Vic Open. You need a block of 3 FIDE rated games at each tournament, with at least a score of .5 or 1 (not sure exactly) and a rating performance of 1600 or 1400 in your first tournament.
    I am not 100% sure about this but im sure Bill will know
    Never get cocky when you are playing a low rated player.

GO Juventus and Collingwood in 2011

CC International Master Paul Cavezza's Avatar
    Is the first rating often quite inaccurate? I've just looked at mine after something like 14 tournament games, 2 of which I won against players rated ~1550 & ~1480, and I find my rating at 1645:>:> Not sure how that's possible! I played in very strong tournaments and got drawn against some highly rated players I guess.. if that factors in!

FIDE ratings

For some info about ratings check out the SACA FAQ page.

http://sachess.org/faq.html

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pablito15
    Is the first rating often quite inaccurate?
    The first rating in any system is very inaccurate because it is based on very limited data. The ACF system adjusts very rapidly when the first rating is wrong; the FIDE system is much slower.

I've just looked at mine after something like 14 tournament games, 2 of which I won against players rated ~1550 & ~1480, and I find my rating at 1645:>:> Not sure how that's possible! I played in very strong tournaments and got drawn against some highly rated players I guess.. if that factors in!
    Yes; you can get a good rating with a low score if a number of the opponents you have played are very high rated. For instance 2/12 against a 1550, a 1480 and ten others who averaged 2100 would get you a rating in that ballpark. If you had some draws as well as the wins that reduces the average rating required.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Thread Information