Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
    Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Hey Matthew, you're organising that Doeberl Dinner right?

AR
    I guess I will rise to the expectation ....... if I am there . I intend going but I wonder if I wiil be allowed to play at Doeberl. The NSWCA sends notification to the ACT of who they have banned and want [barred]. Can somebody say if the ACT will [assist]?
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 22-03-2006 at 09:26 PM.

Banned Hydra

Rule of law

The banning of Matthew Sweeney by the NSWCA can be easily contested and overuled in a court of law. State chess associations seem to believe that the Rule of Law does not apply to them. This is incorrect.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Kessler
    The banning of Matthew Sweeney by the NSWCA can be easily contested and overuled in a court of law. State chess associations seem to believe that the Rule of Law does not apply to them. This is incorrect.
    Hi Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Hi Matt.
    Unless Matt has moved to Melbourne, that isnt Matt. However that also brings into question what he knows about NSW Incorporated Associations law. The disciplining of members is part of the model rules. Breaches of an Associations Constitution or the Associations Act can be taken up with the Dept of Fair Trading. Courts rarely interfere in the decisions of Associations unless they are in direct breach of the Act.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 17-03-2006 at 10:28 PM.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Banned Hydra
    The law may/can have a strong influence on the poorly informed.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    I guess I will rise to the expectation ....... if I am there . I intend going but I wonder if I wiil be allowed to play at Doeberl. The NSWCA sends notification to the ACT of who they have banned and want [barred]. Can somebody say if the ACT will [assist]?
    At this stage the ACTA (on behalf of the organising committee) have requested full details concerning the suspension of players by the NSWCA. If that information is recieved (remembering that the NSWCA has already refused a previous request from myself concerning the details of discplinary action against yourself) then the organising committee will examine the reasons and make a decision.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 22-03-2006 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun
    At this stage the ACTA (on behalf of the organising committee) have requested full details concerning the suspension of players by the NSWCA. If that information is recieved (remembering that the NSWCA has already refused a previous request from myself concerning the details of discplinary action against yourself) then the organising committee will examine the reasons and make a decision.
    In other words the organising committee is planning on acting as an appeals court.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    In other words the organising committee is planning on acting as an appeals court.
    Since NSWCA bans do not automatically apply to the ACT as far as I know, how are they acting as an appeals court?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Kessler
    The law may/can have a strong influence on the poorly informed.
    That certainly applies to you.

Since NSWCA bans do not automatically apply to the ACT as far as I know,
    It is my understanding that in the past the ACTCA has not allowed players banned by the NSWCA to play in the Doeberl Cup.
    how are they acting as an appeals court?
    It has been suggested to me that they would have no problem excluding Ilic. As such it sure looks like an appeals court, if they wont allow one player banned by the NSWCA (Ilic) to play but would allow Matt to play.

CC FIDE Master
    It is my understanding that in the past the ACTCA has not allowed players banned by the NSWCA to play in the Doeberl Cup.
    Not correct. We have acted on requests from State Associations not to allow banned players to take part in the Doeberl Cup. This is simply what we are doing again this year. (Noting that the ACTCA is being pro-active in this case by making the request for information rather than waiting to be told).
    It has been suggested to me that they would have no problem excluding Ilic. As such it sure looks like an appeals court, if they wont allow one player banned by the NSWCA (Ilic) to play but would allow Matt to play.
    And as part of the decision process we would asses whether the reasons for banning include behaviour which could potentially affect the running of the event (such as threatening arbiters etc)

Not correct. We have acted on requests from State Associations not to allow banned players to take part in the Doeberl Cup.
    In that is the case, can you tell us when a banned player was last permitted to play.
    And as part of the decision process we would asses whether the reasons for banning include behaviour which could potentially affect the running of the event (such as threatening arbiters etc)
    Which is exactly what I said. You are planning as acting as an appeal court.

Matt is very good natured in person. And, in any case, much of the reason for his banning were his online activities. He's no threat to anybody in the tournament. So he should play. Why should the ACTCA be bullied by the NSWCA?

It's the president of the NSWCA who should be banned. In just a couple of posts, he's already crucified himself - looking like a 100% pr*ck, a party pooper, a spoilt brat who just wants all the fun to himself. But wait! He can't have fun cos he's anti-social. That's why he's an invisible president. You never seem him in chess tournaments, not even just to say a few kind words in major events like COS.

We know you will let Matt play Mr Press because you are a reasonable and intelligent person. And you know, there is a place for you in our Chess Chat dinner party.

AR

CC FIDE Master
    In that is the case, can you tell us when a banned player was last permitted to play.
    One example I can recall was that Komljenovic was allowed to play simply because the NSWCA did not inform us of his suspension in NSW

Which is exactly what I said. You are planning as acting as an appeal court.
    But as the Doeberl Cup is an ACT event and that whatever decision we make has no effect on what happens within NSW, 'appeal court' is not the right term.

Aw C'mon - you have to let Matt play (sorry Bill ). He is always very pleasant at ACT events (and always dresses very well).

Thread Information