Thread: e5

CC Candidate Master

e5

whats an opening in response to e4 as black which does not have much theory? (im thinking pirc? i dont know what im talking about here, lol) hows scandinivian? does that have much theory? whats the ideas behind that?
    Never underestimate junior chess players

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    1... h5 doesn't have much theory, nor does 1... a5. Unfortunately both are cr*p.

CC FIDE Master

it might be realive

While the amount of theory in an opening is relative to the standard of play; the higher the ELO of the opponent in general the harder it is to get them out of of theory, I would suggest Alekhine's defence [1...Nf6] as being the best attempt that doesn't get into unsound territory. Also worthy of consideration, though less sound, is the Nimzowitch defence [1...Nc6] to avoid theory.

CC Grandmaster
    Keep in mind that it's much easier to get a difficult position in the abovementioned openings

CC International Master

lots of theory on Alekhine Defence.

There is lots of theory on the Alekhine. Die Aljechin-Verteidigung by Siebenhaar/
    Delnef/Oddstadt has 670 double column pages on half of the opening. All the other books on the opening written since this book that I have seen to a large extent summarise this book, errors and all. There is one gross blunder repeated
    in various books.

I watched David Smeeden at Ergas suggesting to the juniors that they should have the Scandinavian 1. e4 d5 2. exd Nf6 as a back up opening as there is not that much theory to learn. My only suggestion is that as the Jadoul Gambit is under a cloud they should learn the transposition to the Panov-Botvinnick attack.

If you want a sound but less theoretical opening then the opening which has more names than the inland taipan springs to mind

1.e4 g6 - the rathole, modern, slime, or one particular variation is called the Gurgenidge or blockade on the white squares. To play this opening well you need to be s sneaky as a numbers man from the Labour Party.

Pirc is a good solid defence, but I'm a beginner - I only know what I've been told. Apparently the idea is to essentially induce white to overextend themselves, like the KID against d5. I play it, but like every other aspect of the game, I'm still getting to grips with it.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    I went through a period of playing 1....b6 Yes, it has a name...the Owens Defence I believe.

Didn't have too much luck with it, my opponents always seemed to get their pawns on c4, d5 and e4, leading to a very cramped position for me.

Banned Hydra

Thumbs up 1....e5 WOULD have been better than this ****

Hanks-Jamieson Melbourne Winter Inter-club 1978
    1 d4 b6 2 e4 Bb7 3 Nd2 e6 4 Bd3 c5 5 c3 Nc6 6 Ngf3 d6 7 0-0 Nge7 8 Qe2 g6 9 d5 ed: 10 ed: Ne5 11 Bb5+ Nd7 12 Ne4 Resigns
    A spectator quipped to Jamieson after the game "Why didn't you just play e5"
    Given that the spectator was a Melbourne Chess Club member at the time,"Jammo" seems to have never forgiven the Melbourne Chess Club since.

Ref. Chess in Australia May 1978 p 126

Thread Information