Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar

Link not obvious

To whom it may concern,

I have noticed that the ACF BB has appeared to reduce in volume since the link was removed from the ACF webpage. I know there is still a link, its just chesskit does not equate to public bulletin board for a newbie.
    My question is why did the ACF webmasters decide to rename this link? Surely not publicising the bulletin board reduces the ability of chessplayers to participate. I may be right I may be wrong who knows? What do others think?

Regards FG7

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    I have noticed that the ACF BB has appeared to reduce in volume since the link was removed from the ACF webpage.
    I haven't. But either of us could be wrong, do you have any evidence that the volume has reduced?

You're certainly wrong about this though - this is not an "ACF BB".

My question is why did the ACF webmasters decide to rename this link? Surely not publicising the bulletin board reduces the ability of chessplayers to participate. I may be right I may be wrong who knows? What do others think?
    Webmaster, singular. The board is not plugged as if it is an official ACF board simply because ... it isn't. I'll let Paul explain the reasons.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 13-02-2004 at 06:54 PM.

I thought as much but...couldn't a disclaimer simply prevent that?

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    User Activity has just stayed the same since 30th when paul made the change.

May I suggest that after chesskit there should be some wording on the ACF mainpage like "unofficial bulletin board"- with the ACF getting behind the concept of free speech even if it does not agree with what is being said.

Secondly, What is so important about SACA that they get their own link? what about WACA CAQ or even TCA are they not just as important why is every other state on a seperate page to SACA? is this because el presidente is a South Australian? if it is then you might really want to start considering what I am talking about on the Mexican thread.

Regards FG7

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firegoat7
    To whom it may concern,

I have noticed that the ACF BB has appeared to reduce in volume since the link was removed from the ACF webpage. I know there is still a link, its just chesskit does not equate to public bulletin board for a newbie.

Regards FG7
    I agree with firegoat7

The link to the chess community bulletin board is not obvious to me from the ACF front-page.
    Also, the SACA-link prominence was not understood by me.
    The web-site front-page could be tidied up.

However, I did not see it as a conspiracy but rather just the different ways that authors do things (for example the site that I find is least intuitive to navigation is http://www.chessvictoria.com/. But if I am really determined then I find what I want there; it is heaps more efficient than waiting a year to ask at the AGM. ).
    I have got used to meandering around to find written material; and if I can't find it then I ask a passer-by like CL or AR.

starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 29-02-2004 at 11:16 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    The link to this BB is called ChessKit Forum because that's what it is, both technically and in view of the fact that it had a crowd of people posting here before the "ACF' people arrived.

Jeo prefers to refer to it in this way, and I agree with him.

I have another reason, which I explained to Jeo: in my view, I don't think the ACF should be in the business of running a free-wheeling bulletin board. I think BBs create a lot of problems for organisations like the ACF, and I don't think there's any benefit in attaching the name "ACF" to a BB, especially when it does not endorse any of the content. It seems to me ridiculous for the ACF to be criticised for the views of private individuals when it does not even agree with their opinions.

That said, I think it's nice for Australian chess players to have a BB on which to discuss things. (Please note the distinction: my objection is not to BBs as such; I object to attaching the tag "ACF" to something which does not benefit the ACF. )

Please note, also, that I arrived at this view after shutting down the BB hosted on the ACF site, not before. I decided on the move because I thought that the technical advantages of this BB were so great that some temporary inconvenience was justified. I note that the game-display features are being used a fair bit now, which is nice.

The ACF plans a meeting at the Doeberl Cup in Canberra and I intend to discuss these matters there.

xxx

Regarding the SACA link, that's temporary. It was put up simply because the URL address changed recently. Since it's a major site, I thought it was useful to advertise it. My decision alone.

Cheers - PaulB
    cheers - paulb

Thanks for the reply Paul, all innocent point taken.

Cheers FG7

Thread Information