22. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

10 45.45%
  • no

12 54.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CC International Master

paid CEO for Australian chess

what are people's opinion of having a paid CEO for Australian chess?

I know that during the time that GG was the ACF Supreme Leader, such a move was mooted, but nothing much happened to it.

Australian Soccer has recently hired a new CEO, John O'Neil, the former boss of Rugby Union, and his package is mostly incentive based and will be paid out of the Australian Soccer operations.

He stated that his aim in relation to Australian soccer was to enable broadcast of games, which in turn will lead to more sponsors and spectators.

Soccer is similar in one respect to chess, in that almost a million people in Australia play it socially (making it the most popular particpative sport) yet few pay to go to the games, play professional soccer, or not much Australian soccer is shown on TV. Similarly a lot of people know how to play chess socially, yet few go to clubs, play in tournaments, and broadcast is non existent. However like soccer, chess has a broad base of people who have played it in a social context.

John Neil's challenege is to transfer this massive social popularity to get broadcast rights, spectators and sponsors and enable top professional soccer players to play in Australia.

Would having a full time professional CEO for Australian chess, enable Australian Chess to similarly convert the social chess population to attend chess clubs, play more tournaments, attract more sponsors and get broadcasts of chess?
    Always do your Best

chmod -x /bin/chmod
    No matter who you pay or what you do, you will need the foundation for it to work. The foundation required is more people willing to contribute and HEAPS of people ready to play the game at a competitive level.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeo
    No matter who you pay or what you do, you will need the foundation for it to work. The foundation required is more people willing to contribute and HEAPS of people ready to play the game at a competitive level.
    That is a good point and I agree with you

In addition, given the fact that the chess adminsitration is unpaid, the CEO will be paid but his success in an incentive based contract, will be dependent on the efforts of unpaid officials.
    Always do your Best

CC International Master
    sample size of BB voters may be small, but so far an overwhelming amount of people do not like the idea of a paid CEO.

Could one of the other reasons that sports like AFL, NRL etc which have paid CEO have ready acceptence, because (due to sponsorships and money for those codes) the fact of paid sports administrators been already established?
    Always do your Best

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    I would fork out $100 pa for the ACF to be managed like World Championship Wrestling.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    I would fork out $100 pa for the ACF to be managed like World Championship Wrestling.
    Does that include rigged matches?

CC International Master Kerry Stead's Avatar
    Matt, do you realise that WCW (yes, the WCW owned by Ted Turner of US TV mogul fame) went belly-up and was bought out by Vince McMahon's WWF (now WWE for legal reasons)??
    You just want the gimmick and entrance don't you ... entering the playing hall, weighing in at 110kgs, from Wollongong NSW, Matt 'the stirrer' Sweeney!!! ...

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stead
    You just want the gimmick and entrance don't you ... entering the playing hall, weighing in at 110kgs, from Wollongong NSW, Matt 'the stirrer' Sweeney!!! ...
    Matts Weeney "The Shlong" !!! sounds better. My gimmick? ALL ENTRANCES BARRED

Matts Weeney "The Shlong" !!! sounds better. My gimmick? ALL ENTRANCES BARRED
    Not following wrestling, can you help me out, has there been one called the Antichrist yet?

In the sixties in my job I used to get free tickets to Sydney Stadium, Mario Milano's head did get split open by "Professor Tanaka's" karate elbow and he was off for 6 weeks, blood everywhere.

CC Candidate Master The_Wise_Man's Avatar

Reviving a Very Old Post...

What do people think 2 years on?

Would a paid CEO be better for Australian Chess?
    (its an idea... I am not criticising the current ACF)

Wise
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
    Plato

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wise_Man
    What do people think 2 years on?

Would a paid CEO be better for Australian Chess?
    (its an idea... I am not criticising the current ACF)

Wise
    I wouldn't regard any discussion of this question, in itself, as criticising the ACF. As was pointed out early on, a paid CEO was one element of Graeme Gardiner's reform program that he put forward when he first became ACF President. But it depended on an increase in ACF revenue that was far beyond what Graeme was able to achieve.

This is the rub. A paid CEO would, I believe, be of tremendous benefit to the ACF but where is the money going to come from? The ACF's present income derives from the Admin fees assessed on the number of rated games and from the Schools teams fee which is under fire from various quarters. That income, though greater than before the fees were introduced, is nowhere near enough to pay a CEO. It may just allow us to mount a few modest projects for chess development but that is all.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

There is a more pressing question, I think. What's happening with the Olympiad Fund this year? I have not heard or read anything in the newsletter. What's going on? How do people make donations and all that?

AR

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    There is a more pressing question, I think. What's happening with the Olympiad Fund this year? I have not heard or read anything in the newsletter. What's going on? How do people make donations and all that?

AR
    You've gotta go here: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=3692

and place a wager. We'll smuggle cash in brown paper bags to the players if we have to

Pax (not the appeal coordinator)

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    You've gotta go here: http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=3692

and place a wager. We'll smuggle cash in brown paper bags to the players if we have to

Pax (not the appeal coordinator)
    I'd take you up on your wager but I think I should let someone else be the seedy gambler for a while...

I was wondering the same thing as arosar though... where do I send my cheque?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    I'd take you up on your wager but I think I should let someone else be the seedy gambler for a while...
    Quite right. Until another opportunity comes along to rip the wallets off some unsuspecting fish

I was wondering the same thing as arosar though... where do I send my cheque?
    I assume you could send it to ACF Treasurer Norm Greenwood, but I'd like to see it officially somewhere!

Thread Information