Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rapidly improving Adults... ,what about the 8 yes 8 trips to the toilet ,and that was only in the opening ,OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE.he he he he he, love it ,man some people go to the toilet even when its there move.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby1972
    Rapidly improving Adults... ,what about the 8 yes 8 trips to the toilet ,and that was only in the opening ,OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE.he he he he he, love it ,man some people go to the toilet even when its there move.
    Well you know Bobby, Nature is an unforgiving mistress. I've seen some players go to the toiulet in the middle of a game of blitz (not in the opening) and still come back and win the game.

But tell me who is it you are talking about and what exactly are you alleging?
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

if a person is not with a medical condition,how many toilet visits are ok ,i have seen, and this was not my observation alone that some healthy people go to the toilet well over 10 times a game ,i counted 8 for someone in the opening. love this game

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Not widely known but Art 12.5 states that "The player having the move is not allowed to leave the playing area without permission of the arbiter". The playing area does not include the toilets.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    In my previous sporting life as a road racer (cycling) we would simply take a piss on the bike while riding at the pack of the peliton. I can tell you that if I was playing for 1st place in a blitz final round, I would hold it until I couldn't help it and piss where I sat. There could be no penalty - other than ignominy.

take the piss

Account Permanently Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Not widely known but Art 12.5 states
    hi KB

Not 'widely known', but none-the-less 'well known' to many-that-matter at our Club, because that defines the boundaries for the carry-phone rule.

that "The player having the move is not allowed to leave the playing area without permission of the arbiter".
    The playing area does not include the toilets.
    Is this not subject to local ruling?

regards
    starter

seriously in this age with so much technology available,it makes some people think,has anyone seen the interview with kasimdzhanov were he said he might leave the game because of this,the good thing about this thread is next time i am in a hurry during a game the toilets might be free

"rating increases are directly comparable regardless of where they appear on the distribution curve." maybe they are all directly proprtional to the amount of time spent near the "s bend"

Quote Originally Posted by starter
    Is this not subject to local ruling?
    Not in my view. Art 12.5 says "The playing venue is defined as the playing area, rest rooms, refreshment area, area set aside for smoking and other places as designated by the arbiter". Taking "rest rooms" as a euphemism including "toilets" then they are clearly outside the playing area. It is true that in some very high-level tournaments the players may have rest rooms that are exactly that - rooms to rest in.
    Moderation Requests: All requests for, comments about, or questions about moderation of any kind including thread changes must be posted in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

Not in my view. Art 12.5 says "The playing venue is defined as the playing area, rest rooms, refreshment area, area set aside for smoking and other places as designated by the arbiter". Taking "rest rooms" as a euphemism including "toilets" then they are clearly outside the playing area. It is true that in some very high-level tournaments the players may have rest rooms that are exactly that - rooms to rest in.

Bill is correct. My brain-cells are going off.
    Your #4 says toilets are not part of the playing area.
    Your quote above says the playing venue does include rest-rooms. Is there a distinction implied between area and venue?

regards
    starter

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Is there a distinction implied between area and venue?
    Yes I believe so. Area is the playing hall where games are actually played. The venue includes all the support areas as well (smoking area and toilets etc).
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Is there a distinction implied between area and venue?
    The distinction is not implied but explicit. The rule says the playing venue is defined as (the playing area plus a bunch of other things), so obviously "playing area" is a subset of "playing venue". So you can go to the toilet, go for a smoke, get a drink, etc, but you cannot leave the playing area to do these things on your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Yes I believe so. Area is the playing hall where games are actually played. The venue includes all the support areas as well (smoking area and toilets etc).
    The distinction is not implied but explicit. The rule says the playing venue is defined as (the playing area plus a bunch of other things), so obviously "playing area" is a subset of "playing venue". So you can go to the toilet, go for a smoke, get a drink, etc, but you cannot leave the playing area to do these things on your turn.
    What a relief.
    At least now I understand what I don't understand.

Just one last thing. Where does it say that locally we cannot declare toilets separate from the rest-room? And define the toilets inside the area.

starter

Just one last thing. Where does it say that locally we cannot declare toilets separate from the rest-room? And define the toilets inside the area.
    Only do this if you want people playing chess in there.

The rule is commonly disregarded but it is useful to have it there and enforce it as needs be when someone's conduct is suspicious.

Thread Information