Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071
Results 1,051 to 1,054 of 1054
    CC Grandmaster
    Its Ok to award titles based on past achievements though.
    I would not mind honorary titles for the likes of Hamilton - who definitely deserved to be an IM along with the late Max Fuller.
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Dowden View Post
    My claim was true all the long because I bundled the IMs, FMs and CMs.
    Fair enough - the Zonal CMs rather swamp the others on that basis. Australia has 50 CMs and NZ has 25. I think 49 of the Australian CMs were by Zonal and one was by rating. Suspect nearly all the NZ ones would be by Zonal as well (noting Ang who you mentioned above as an exception.)

I've never had an Australian direct title to process from a Senior event. An Australian would have got a direct IM title from an Asian Senior - and some other players would have got lesser titles from the same event - but missed out because of the technicality of the Chief Arbiter not being yet titled at the time of the event.

I've doubtless said it before on this thread a few times but I couldn't care less about soft CM titles. I think that ideally the purpose of CM is to be a soft title; after all "candidate master" only means someone might be a "master" someday; it doesn't mean they actually are one. CM titles also don't have any role in helping opponents get GM/IM norms, unlike FM and even WFM. I think FIDE should give them out in vast numbers to make money for itself at the expense of players who want to pay for them, and shield the higher titles better. However apparently in Europe there are now quite a few CMs by rating, who aren't good enough to get FM, and who are quite antsy about the fact that average level club players on the other side of the world can get their title.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    I would not mind honorary titles for the likes of Hamilton - who definitely deserved to be an IM along with the late Max Fuller.
    I would love it if the title system gave due credit to veterans who, based on their strength, would easily have obtained such titles today.

I also think they should make CM fully retrospective. For a strong player who might like to have a title of some sort, it's a bit of a joke that having been 2200 twenty years ago doesn't get them CM, but barely above-average club-level players have got it in Zonals.

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron View Post
    In the past FIDE has awarded honorary GM titles, e.g. they offered GM title to Wade and Golombek. Wade declined, Golombek accepted.
    Still searching for Bobby Fischer....
    and fighting against those humourless bureaucrats who are forever lost in the minutiae.

Thread Information