Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Colliver
    The article is wrong in saying Zhao and Smerdon are the only 2 zonal IM's to reach the 2400 mark. Mark Chapman currently has a FIDE rating of 2401 and a highest rating of 2402.
    Scott
    As I read Ian's article. I think he is referring to IMs who gained their title by winning the Oceania Zonal. Now, if you gain an IM title by norms you also must achieve a 2400 rating before the title will be confirmed. I note that Puchen Wang (NZ) who, I think, gained his IM at the previous Zonal is now FIDE 2465. I'm not sure how that fits in to Ian's argument.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    I do think Ian's comment can be read as intended to be confined to Australia's IMs although the wording is not quite right and there is still the problem of Chapman (who obtained his IM title in a zonal) being over 2400 as spotted by Scott.

The other Australian IMs ex Zonal as well as Zhao and Smerdon are Feldman, Berezina and Rujevic. I see that Feldman has been rated 2399.

Is there an online source that tracks FIDE ratings back before 2000?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I do think Ian's comment can be read as intended to be confined to Australia's IMs although the wording is not quite right and there is still the problem of Chapman (who obtained his IM title in a zonal) being over 2400 as spotted by Scott.

The other Australian IMs ex Zonal as well as Zhao and Smerdon are Feldman, Berezina and Rujevic. I see that Feldman has been rated 2399.

Is there an online source that tracks FIDE ratings back before 2000?
    If the argument is that the Oceania Zonal delivers "soft titles" the logic of confining the observations about ratings to Australian IMs is not clear.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis_Jessop
    If the argument is that the Oceania Zonal delivers "soft titles" the logic of confining the observations about ratings to Australian IMs is not clear.
    I agree but there are two levels of consideration.
    1. Was the statement factual?
    2. Was the argument logical?

It would be good to establish (1) before addressing (2). Since if the weaker statement regarding Australian IMs is false then (2) is largely moot.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

But if Geoff Saw coached James couldn't he expect to adance quickly, just like Ian's coaching of Zhao? also if he got more support like NSW players get it may be a different story. That is one thing NSW chess has over Victoria chess. Player of the month is one thing but what does it really provide?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antichrist
    But if Geoff Saw coached James couldn't he expect to adance quickly, just like Ian's coaching of Zhao? also if he got more support like NSW players get it may be a different story. That is one thing NSW chess has over Victoria chess. Player of the month is one thing but what does it really provide?
    Have you been drinking? It's just you don't seem to be coherent.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind
    Have you been drinking? It's just you don't seem to be coherent.
    I'd suspect AC had been drinking if he ever was coherent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I'd suspect AC had been drinking if he ever was coherent.
    I had the drinking record at my place of employment, one had to keep the grog down and appear coherent - maybe my reverse soberity helped me.

CC Grandmaster
    Speaking of Soft Titles: I chess student of mine showed me a game he drew against an FM at the Zonal....FMs play was rather strange...(for a master). It turned out...his fide rating is 1962
    Interested in Chess Lessons?
    Email webbaron!@gmail.com for more Info!

Account Permanently Banned Axiom's Avatar

The Fm Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    Speaking of Soft Titles: I chess student of mine showed me a game he drew against an FM at the Zonal....FMs play was rather strange...(for a master). It turned out...his fide rating is 1962
    That's one of your fellow FM Brothers you're talking about there MB !

Isn't it true about the camaraderie in the FM Brotherhood , how you look out for each other on the tough grind of the tournament circuit ?

I know there are some divisions amongst the brotherhood since these "soft" titles came in , but i think when it comes down to the crunch an FM , a true EFF EMM ie . one sanctioned by Caissa's right hand organ : FIDE , will stand shoulder to shoulder in the face of all adversity , and remember to put the brotherhood , THE FM BROTHERHOOD , first at all times .
    I want to return to the days when an FM strode straight backed into the tournament hall, eyes fixed ahead with all the surety of a sage ,and the pride of a lion always standing by and supporting his fellow FM in THE FM BROTHERHOOD.

I invite readers to submit lyrics for the rap song : THE FM BROTHERHOOD

CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBaron
    This FM probably got his title by a good performance at an Olympiad (representing his country!).

Michael, please tell us your expected FIDE rating at age 65.

But I suspect that you will have given up chess by then when you can no longer dominate at allegro!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    But I suspect that you will have given up chess by then when you can no longer dominate at allegro!
    Ooh. Ooh. Ref! Hot dog. Mike? Your shot!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    This FM probably got his title by a good performance at an Olympiad (representing his country!).

Michael, please tell us your expected FIDE rating at age 65.

Brian, If i stay in good physical shape....(and still alive) i expect to be 2300...just like Rujevic...

If not..may be 2250....I do not expect myself to be 2080....

I do not know what that FM got his title for..but my student is 1600....and it was not one of his best games...I think at the age of 65 i will still play better than that!

I do not know any real FM who is under 2100 at any age

CC Grandmaster
    Just looking at the Australian Rating list: Levi in the late 50''s still 2230 and beating GMs occasionally. West is over 50 already - still 2340, Rujevic is 63 - 2309 Hamilton - very late 60's and over 2200.

Some overseas players that i am familiar with. Pismenny (one of my coaches back in Russia) was never a player of international standard but is still 2300 fide at the age of 72. Golyak (a friend of my chess student in the US) - 75 years old..still rated about 2260 and he too was not significantly stronger than that when he was young.

Arkhangelsky (also one of the coaches at the Moscow Palace of Pioneers) 78 years of age and still playing 2300

Nick Emodi from Elwood Chess Club - 93 (!) Years of age and still playing 1500-1600 and he was never a strong player even in his young years.

and how about Korchnoi still going strongly at 78? and Averbakh still doing simuls at the age of 87? Liliental still writing chess articles at 98?

Quote Originally Posted by JONES
    Quote Originally Posted by DUGGAN
    Ooh. Ooh. Ref! Hot dog. Mike? Your shot!
    Quote Originally Posted by BARON
    I do not expect myself to be 2080
    Bravo! Next!
    There is no cure for leftism. Its infestation of the host mostly diminishes with age except in the most rabid of specimens.

Thread Information