Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Danish cartoons (sf Happy Friend)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    ... general pinciples of liberty and freedom of speech.
    Speaking of which: how about this furore over the Danish Cartoons? I'm kinda hoping that a paper in Oz will print them here.

AR

CC FIDE Master

CC FIDE Master

where to see them

Go to http://timblair.net

After about 6 pages of scrolling down his blogs you get to the cartoons.

I find the Australian media a laughing stock over this issue; I have a fundamental right as both person and citizen to see these cartoons. The media has failed in its duty to satisfy that right.

It makes me wonder about the media's ability to be influenced. What else haven't they brought to our attention out of fear and misguided political correctness? Has the media kept aspects of the whaet board scandal from our attention?

By the way I regard "media" as a collective, singular noun needing, hence, the verb "has" rather than "have". While I understand that this grammatical stance may offend some individuals, both Christain and Muslim, I maintain my grammatical view nonetheless

Well, you won't see the cartoons in the SMH. Today's editorial is quite clear that they won't publish the material. The paper has also taken a dim view towards the cartoons anyway.

Now if you read Tim Blair, do you read Margo?

AR

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by qpawn
    I find the Australian media a laughing stock over this issue; I have a fundamental right as both person and citizen to see these cartoons. The media has failed in its duty to satisfy that right.
    And if you want to exercise your fundamental write, you are quite welcome to go out and buy a few Danish newspapers (or, indeed dig them up on the internet as you have done).

There is absolutely no obligation on the Australian media to republish foreign news or cartoons.

CC FIDE Master

disagree so much I would burn your flag lol

Pax:

There is absolutely no obligation on the Australian media to republish foreign news or cartoons.

I could not disagree more with that statement. Foreign news? Go to the newspaper today and see stuff taken from AAP, the New York Times etc!

It's news. There have been violent protests over these cartoons. And here Muslim clerics have expressed their views about the cartoons being published. Not to mention the racial tensions seen in Cronulla that form a cultural matrix for issues of religious sensitivities versus press freedom.

I have a right to see these cartoons to make up my own mind. It's sad when only a blogger like Tim Blair provides such a right. The mainstream media should flagellate themselves in shame.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by qpawn
    Pax:

I could not disagree more with that statement. Foreign news? Go to the newspaper today and see stuff taken from AAP, the New York Times etc!

It's news. There have been violent protests over these cartoons. And here Muslim clerics have expressed their views about the cartoons being published. Not to mention the racial tensions seen in Cronulla that form a cultural matrix for issues of religious sensitivities versus press freedom.

I have a right to see these cartoons to make up my own mind. It's sad when only a blogger like Tim Blair provides such a right. The mainstream media should flagellate themselves in shame.
    C'mon there is no real news worthiness to the pictures except for the over the top reaction they caused. It is enough to have then described and as no doubt most of us have seen/found them on the internet if we are so bothered.

I am concerned once again by the reaction of the mostly fundamentalist muslims who have shown their faith in the worst possible way and their hypocrisy over this blasphemy compared to the way they ridicule the Jews.
    Last edited by bergil; 07-02-2006 at 11:55 AM.
    No this is silly, the whole premise is silly and very badly written. I'm the senior officer here and I've not had a funny line yet so I'm stopping it.

Sydney International Open

Parramatta Chess Club

Manchester United - In decline since 92!

Account Permanently Banned firegoat7's Avatar
    I am sure that eventually the Australian media will print the cartoon (Hasn't the Brisbane courier mail already done this?). Inevitably we will get some self justifying journo type towing the secular line and showing "us" what we all (sic) want to see. Inevitably, it will be seen as politically correct to do so because the "context" will be seen as permissable in regards to world events.
    No doubt as "adults' we are still not mature enough as a society, to judge for ourselves!

Then unfortunatley we will return to the same old repeat in which the self appointed "expert" give us their opinions on the "Islamic versus free speech problem", thus distracting us all from the real causes of such extreme reactions. No doubt along the way "they" will all make some big bucks, while the rest of us take positional stances, of our own selective interpretation, of moral indignation or lack of. Meanwhile, we all forget what being human means.

I predict at approximately the moment when Australia qualifies for the next round of the world cup by beating Brazil we will all focus our moral "gaze" on something more distracting, before dutifully rising in the morning to got to work to pay the bills to consume the goods that we need to be free from the systematic slavery that we impose upon ourselves. Yes Virginia the grass is definately greener on the other side of the fence, but to cross it you have to learn how to deconstruct what a fence actually is.

cheers fg7
    Last edited by firegoat7; 07-02-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Account Permanently Banned PHAT's Avatar
    Australia is a generally safe and tolerant country. We should try to keep it that way. Our media should be asked but not told to refrain from broad casting/printing the cartoons. Those images can be shown (are already!) on the net for those who want to access them.

There is no point in broadcasting/printing them just to prove that we can.

Iranian paper holds Holocaust cartoon contest:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1565443.htm
    Last edited by Trent Parker; 09-02-2006 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Offensiveness complaint recieved - second part deleted; suggested mod review.

CC Grandmaster
    Sure, the violence is news, but the cartoons themselves are not. A brief description is more than adequate. But unless a news agency has the objective of *making more news* (by sparking more violence), then it is better not to publish them if there is no need.

Double standards in free speech

Last edited by the chess nut : 09-02-2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Offensiveness complaint recieved - second part deleted; suggested mod review.

OK, some filthy anti free speech prick has not liked having a linlk to a Holocaust joke site.

I s'pose that same filth thinks it's OK for the Courier Mail to print the Mahmed cartoons.

I am giong to post a link to those on the main board and we shall see if the same [deleted] complains about it.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 09-02-2006 at 10:46 PM. Reason: swearing/link removed

Last edited by the chess nut : 09-02-2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Offensiveness complaint recieved - second part deleted; suggested mod review.

What is this censoring for. If its OK to post a link to the cartoons, it must be OK to post a link to a holocaust joke site.

DOUBLE STANDARDS!

The 'toons are at http://timblair.net/ee/index.php/weblog/media_told/

CC FIDE Master
    I note with interest that the cultural editor at Jyllands-Posten had indicated that they were going to run the 'holocaust' cartoons being published in an Iranian newspaper, but that this has now been overuled by the newspapers editors.

Sure, have your free speech.. good on you.

But it doesn't stop you looking like an asshole to everyone else. People always seem to forget the other half... you have your freedeom but once you're thrown into the world, you're responsible for everything you do. People want their freedom but they don't want to be responsible for the damage they cause - it sickens me that this is so often forgotten.

P.S. I wasn't the one who complained.
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

Thread Information