Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672

    Gambling for Australia!!

    I have a suggestion for Olympiad fundraising.

    Every now and then we see games of one-up-person-ship on these board which result in a bet of some description. e.g I bet you $50 that such-andsuch will outscore so-and-so in the Doeberl cup, or I bet I can beat you blindfolded with knight odds with a hand tied behind my back.

    My suggestion is this:
    -Clashes of egos shall be referred to this thread.
    -The participants shall choose a bet of appropriate amount.
    -Instead of the loser paying the winner in money or in kind, the loser shall donate an amount of money to the Olympiad fund on behalf of the winner.

    Maybe chesschat could inspire a big contribution to the Olympiad fund in this way?

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    I have a suggestion for Olympiad fundraising.

    Every now and then we see games of one-up-person-ship on these board which result in a bet of some description. e.g I bet you $50 that such-andsuch will outscore so-and-so in the Doeberl cup, or I bet I can beat you blindfolded with knight odds with a hand tied behind my back.

    My suggestion is this:
    -Clashes of egos shall be referred to this thread.
    -The participants shall choose a bet of appropriate amount.
    -Instead of the loser paying the winner in money or in kind, the loser shall donate an amount of money to the Olympiad fund on behalf of the winner.

    Maybe chesschat could inspire a big contribution to the Olympiad fund in this way?
    I tend to be quite anti-gambling, no prizes for guessing why, but it is a interesting idea.
    My idea in a similar line, although I don't think it is gambling, is payment for dares. You could offer to pay $100 to someone for playing a tournament game blindfolded or something like that, or to offer a draw on the first move of everygame they play in a tournament or something like that. Might have to make sure the organisers are happy before you do it though.
    Scott

  3. #3
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    I tend to be quite anti-gambling, no prizes for guessing why, but it is a interesting idea.
    But of course this isn't really gambling, since nobody will personally benefit from the transaction.

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    But of course this isn't really gambling, since nobody will personally benefit from the transaction.
    True, to a certain extend, that's why I even bothered replying to the thread.
    If though you were suggesting everyone but a couple of lottery tickets and give any winnings to the Olympiad Appeal then that would definity be gambling and I certainly could not agree with such an idea. This is more fun, more a game to make people think about donating, not true gambling.
    Scott

  5. #5
    CC International Master Watto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    I have a suggestion for Olympiad fundraising.

    Every now and then we see games of one-up-person-ship on these board which result in a bet of some description. e.g I bet you $50 that such-andsuch will outscore so-and-so in the Doeberl cup, or I bet I can beat you blindfolded with knight odds with a hand tied behind my back.

    My suggestion is this:
    -Clashes of egos shall be referred to this thread.
    -The participants shall choose a bet of appropriate amount.
    -Instead of the loser paying the winner in money or in kind, the loser shall donate an amount of money to the Olympiad fund on behalf of the winner.

    Maybe chesschat could inspire a big contribution to the Olympiad fund in this way?
    I think it’s a great idea, to be honest.

    I’d expand the idea though.

    I’m playing poker with a few friends a few Saturday’s from now (the 18th Feb). Last time we played this group I came away with an extra $90 so if I win something this time I’ll donate it to the Olympiad fund. The hosts are wealthy so no need to worry if I take their money and give it to a worthier cause…

  6. #6
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    I think it’s a great idea, to be honest.

    I’d expand the idea though.

    I’m playing poker with a few friends a few Saturday’s from now (the 18th Feb). Last time we played this group I came away with an extra $90 so if I win something this time I’ll donate it to the Olympiad fund. The hosts are wealthy so no need to worry if I take their money and give it to a worthier cause…
    Maybe we can organise a poker game and invite a whole bunch of chessplayers, where whenever someone buys chips, they put an equivalent amount into the Olympic Fund

    PS My 500th post - and it couldn't be about a more interesting topic - poker!

  7. #7
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,535
    Beuatiful, brilliant, wonderful idea.

    As most of beuatiful brilliant and wonderful ideas, it's also completely unworkable (like communism)

  8. #8
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Beuatiful, brilliant, wonderful idea.

    As most of beuatiful brilliant and wonderful ideas, it's also completely unworkable (like communism)
    I am sorry Igor, but I am going to ask the annoying question, WHY?
    Scott

  9. #9
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    I’m playing poker with a few friends a few Saturday’s from now (the 18th Feb). Last time we played this group I came away with an extra $90 so if I win something this time I’ll donate it to the Olympiad fund. The hosts are wealthy so no need to worry if I take their money and give it to a worthier cause…
    Cool, if you do decide to donate, make sure you post here so we can keep a 'chesschat tally'.

  10. #10
    CC International Master Watto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Cool, if you do decide to donate, make sure you post here so we can keep a 'chesschat tally'.
    Sure, if I win, I’ll donate … that’s why I added the date- to keep me honest!

  11. #11
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    I am sorry Igor, but I am going to ask the annoying question, WHY?
    Scott
    Because I doubt people will gamble any significant amount.

  12. #12
    . eclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,840
    anyone running a book as to how long those sausages will last?

    that might help raise money?
    .

  13. #13
    CC International Master Watto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Cool, if you do decide to donate, make sure you post here so we can keep a 'chesschat tally'.
    Okay, came away with $200 profit last night, quite a bit more than I anticipated.
    Donating $100 to Gambling for Australia Olympiad Fund (after careful consideration I have decided to keep $100. ).

  14. #14
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    Quote Originally Posted by Watto
    Okay, came away with $200 profit last night, quite a bit more than I anticipated.
    Can you say *reamed* Wow, impressive return Watto.
    Donating $100 to Gambling for Australia Olympiad Fund (after careful consideration I have decided to keep $100. ).
    Well you *do* have to save up for your WSOP buy-in right?

  15. #15
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,672
    Anyone for some Linares betting?

    The first round has been completed with the following results:
    Code:
    Francisco Vallejo	0-1	 	Peter Leko
    Peter Svidler 		1-0		Veselin Topalov
    Etienne Bacrot 		½-½		Vassily Ivanchuk
    Levon Aronian 		1-0		Teimour Radjabov
    I propose a bet of $50 that Topalov will still finish at least equal first despite his first round loss.

    I also propose a bet of $50 that at least half of the games will finish in draws.

    (losers to donate $50 to the Olympiad fund)
    Any takers?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sharemarket
    By Davidflude in forum Non-Chess
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
  2. Gambling
    By Ian Rout in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 04:34 PM
  3. gambling on chess
    By chesslover in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 06:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •