Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86
  1. #1
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    587

    If a chess club were like this I'd join

    I have tried out various chess clubs for over the board chess. Regrettably, I have left them all after a few weeks. My only future in chess playing seems to be by post or internet. As for coaching; I will run the blunder check over my games with Fritz.

    I wish a chess club existed that:

    [1] offered some genuine coaching or program of improvement for a 1400 [?] tyro like myself.

    [2] Played tournaments over a period of time instead of on one night. I can not play well at 9 or 10 PM and I don't know how anyone does. What about the tournament happening over a 3 month period in which players arranged their own games on any night; at least then I could choose a night when I felt a bit rested. And if we have to use an arbiter to help players arrange their game well kiddies, that's what we do. The games would be properly conducted , recorded etc and if it had to be made clear to potential kibitzers that it was a game "for real" then a small sign would suffice lol.That way would also cater for people who couldn't guarantee attendance on a regular basis. Also, someone would be rewarded for their improvement over a length of time as the tournament progressed. I used to play tournament croquet and we played our club championship this way over a whole year - it worked well.

    But there is no club that meets thses simple needs. So I struggle on with Fritz and dream about the chess club that could exist for me somewhere over the rainbow.

  2. #2
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,091
    Hello,

    Do you mind if I ask where you live? We on here might then be able to help you by pointing you in a direction of a club that might be some help to you.

  3. #3
    CC FIDE Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    587

    I am a mountain man

    I live in Mt Eliza, Victoria.

    The nearest clubs are, to my knowledge, Frankston, Mentone and Dandenong but none of them follow either of my needs outlined in the earlier post. When I was at Frankston once they had a "challenge system" that was somewhat like my stated need for player-driven tourneys over a long period; but all their events were the usual date-stamped affairs. I have never been to Dandenong but they appear to be the same. Mentone is quite a nice club with friendly juniors. But when I went there a few years ago I found their premises quite dim. I am not fussy about amenities at a chess club but I like to see the pieces!! It helps!!

    My dilemma with a club is this: whenever they have a tournament on that I can't enter [in fairness to other playres] because of my unpredictable attendance I am left with nobody to play.

    I am not necessarily in need of tourneys per se. I am happy if I am enjoying myself and getting better in friendly games that are treated with some seriousness [ a clock for such games is fine] /. If I found a club and someone rated 2000 or above was prepared to play me regularly and tell me what I was doing wrong I would join. Frankly, players below 2000 ELO usually do not understand chess enough to be able to advise someone with such authority. I know that I risk being called a snob for saying that but that's the way it is. If I have to define a 2000 player it is someone who is beginning to see beyond materialistic bounds. For instance they understand when to shed a pawn for justified positional compensation. They understand when doubled pawns are weak and when they are not etc.


    I would even join MCC, in spite of the travel, if I only played on Saturdays and got someone such as the above to play against. Of course here is the vicious circle again; anyone 2000 or above will play in tournaments instead.

    I got Fritz 8 about 3 weeks ago and it has changed my chess in ways I never dreamt of. I have never had a tool like it for getting better. I am having unbelievable games against it. The one I played today was a slav QGD that exploded in which we both exchange sacrificed queens for a draw. Anyone who subscribes to the theory that q pawn games are not tactical should see this game and they will rethink. In one game Fritz announced mate in 13 !

    I am a mature 30 years young maths graduate. I know chess isn't as important as something like that ferry going down in Egypt. But chess is something I enjoy doing. Two weeks ago I got some coaching from Bill Jordan and he showed me so much stuff in my games that I missed! It is incredible what I never saw or understood!

    Andrew Thornton

  4. #4
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by qpawn
    I live in Mt Eliza, Victoria.

    The nearest clubs are, to my knowledge, Frankston, Mentone and Dandenong but none of them follow either of my needs outlined in the earlier post. When I was at Frankston once they had a "challenge system" that was somewhat like my stated need for player-driven tourneys over a long period; but all their events were the usual date-stamped affairs. I have never been to Dandenong but they appear to be the same. Mentone is quite a nice club with friendly juniors. But when I went there a few years ago I found their premises quite dim. I am not fussy about amenities at a chess club but I like to see the pieces!! It helps!!

    My dilemma with a club is this: whenever they have a tournament on that I can't enter [in fairness to other playres] because of my unpredictable attendance I am left with nobody to play.

    I am not necessarily in need of tourneys per se. I am happy if I am enjoying myself and getting better in friendly games that are treated with some seriousness [ a clock for such games is fine] /. If I found a club and someone rated 2000 or above was prepared to play me regularly and tell me what I was doing wrong I would join. Frankly, players below 2000 ELO usually do not understand chess enough to be able to advise someone with such authority. I know that I risk being called a snob for saying that but that's the way it is. If I have to define a 2000 player it is someone who is beginning to see beyond materialistic bounds. For instance they understand when to shed a pawn for justified positional compensation. They understand when doubled pawns are weak and when they are not etc.


    I would even join MCC, in spite of the travel, if I only played on Saturdays and got someone such as the above to play against. Of course here is the vicious circle again; anyone 2000 or above will play in tournaments instead.

    I got Fritz 8 about 3 weeks ago and it has changed my chess in ways I never dreamt of. I have never had a tool like it for getting better. I am having unbelievable games against it. The one I played today was a slav QGD that exploded in which we both exchange sacrificed queens for a draw. Anyone who subscribes to the theory that q pawn games are not tactical should see this game and they will rethink. In one game Fritz announced mate in 13 !

    I am a mature 30 years young maths graduate. I know chess isn't as important as something like that ferry going down in Egypt. But chess is something I enjoy doing. Two weeks ago I got some coaching from Bill Jordan and he showed me so much stuff in my games that I missed! It is incredible what I never saw or understood!

    Andrew Thornton

    Elwood chess club meets Saturday afternoon and is still reacheable distance. As for coaching with 2000+ players - doubt it's available apart from private lessons.

  5. #5
    CC International Master Mischa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    Elwood chess club meets Saturday afternoon and is still reacheable distance. As for coaching with 2000+ players - doubt it's available apart from private lessons.

    But we are working on it
    We are trying to get together a group of people to meet for coaching / chess talk...
    Elwood is a nice "non competitive" environment with a variety of players
    At 1400 you will find it a challenge which is all that is good. The players there are always happy to review and give advice
    Last edited by Mischa; 06-02-2006 at 06:53 AM.

  6. #6
    CC International Master Mischa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa
    But we are working on it
    We are trying to get together a group af people to meet for coaching / chess talk...
    Elwood is a nice "non comopetetive" environment with a variety of players
    At 1400 you will find it a challenge which is all that is good. The players there are always happy to review and give advice
    Oh ... While we have tournaments (run over weeks) they are not obligatory and there is always someone to have a casual game with...All the tourny's also have 2 catch up rounds so it is possible to play weekenders elswhere or just be busy at least twice during the tounament
    I think we currently have 3 or 4 players over or close to 2000...?

  7. #7
    CC International Master Carl Gorka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa
    The players there are always happy to review and give advice
    So are the non players
    I've never been so broke that I couldn't leave town

    I'm trying out a new blog site...
    http://gorkachc.blogspot.com/

    Victorian Team Championships

  8. #8
    CC International Master Mischa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,381

  9. #9
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Hi Mischa, it was good to catch up with you at Elwood yesterday - I hadn't seen you in ages! So did you make that T-shirt yourself?

  10. #10
    CC International Master Mischa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,381
    A friend had it made up for me...cute!

  11. #11
    CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,965
    Yes!

  12. #12
    Banned Hydra
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essendon
    Posts
    53
    I am new to Melbourne and I live in Essendon. Can anybody tell me a chess club I can join with my father who is a 74 year old. He plays chess well.

  13. #13
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,531
    Quote Originally Posted by Sujakobi
    I am new to Melbourne and I live in Essendon. Can anybody tell me a chess club I can join with my father who is a 74 year old. He plays chess well.
    try either Melbourne chess club or Hobson Bay club (http://www.hobsonsbaychess.info/about/map.htm)

  14. #14
    CC FIDE Master Dozy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Blue Mountains
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    try either Melbourne chess club or Hobson Bay club (http://www.hobsonsbaychess.info/about/map.htm)
    Thanks for that Igor -- I hadn't heard about Hobsons Bay until you put up the link.

    They've got some neat features on their site and I especially liked the Spotlight on Members. It manages to get some of the focus onto the grass roots where we little people live.

    But Hobsons Bay is obviously unique in the quality of its players. Most clubs have a titled player or two, but what can you say about any chess organisation that lists Caissa among its members?
    Visit my chess blog: http://blog.chess.com/Dozy

  15. #15
    Banned Hydra
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essendon
    Posts
    53

    Back from the U.S.A.

    Well, we went to Hobsons Bay and it seemed ok as a chess club but it it is meeting in a gambling establishment.
    The Melbourne Chess Club was visited by my father and he said he saw one man solving chess problems and three wathcing television. Nobody wanted to play him. My father was a former Lithuanian Champion so this did not surprise him.
    We went to Boh Hill Chess club but were told we would have to pay $30 to get in with no guarentee of a game.
    Elwood Chess Club was deserted but for a pair of Russians playing blitz.
    All in all we are suprised at the dearth of opportunities for chess players here in Victoria since we have been living overseas (U.S.A)

    Susan Jakobi

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hobart Chess Club: news, results, misc.
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Upcoming And Current Tournaments
    Replies: 2389
    Last Post: 18-11-2019, 08:35 PM
  2. From the Box Hill Chess Club Archives.
    By ursogr8 in forum General Chess Chat
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
  3. How to increase chess participation.
    By ursogr8 in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 22-04-2005, 05:02 PM
  4. Mt Buller - Chess World letter to ACF
    By ChessGuru in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 17-07-2004, 11:58 AM
  5. Melbourne Chess Club?
    By JGB in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-01-2004, 08:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •