Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Zukovsky
    I'd like to see ICC offering me 2 free months Anyways we all could just get a seven day free trial to play in these tournaments, and keep coming back each week, very easy to do. Or better still, organise them on FICS, where there is a nice Aussie community in channel 230 (it could be bigger). Personally I'd like to see an Aussie server with both adults and kids and be free of other organisations/ventures. ICoN and zics.org are not serious places for chess players, so someone needs to host a new server, with the primary function being to organise these events.
    Mate, the last thing we need is *another* server. Remember the last Aussie Chess Server?

The only point in having a new server is if there is something which *can't* be done with the existing servers. Between FICS and ICC, pretty much all the bases are covered!

CC International Master

Junior teams

I think that Junior teams is a great idea. I have some suggestions.

First I think that all members of a team should be in the same physical place preferably a chess club,and with an independant DOP. While software will catch cheating at fast time controls it is much less effective at tournament speeds.

In this day and age with broadband and ethernet modems which enable you to conect four (or even eight Computers) to the internet at once with no networking software.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidflude
    I think that Junior teams is a great idea. I have some suggestions.

First I think that all members of a team should be in the same physical place preferably a chess club,and with an independant DOP. While software will catch cheating at fast time controls it is much less effective at tournament speeds.
    I think we need to make this as low impact as possible. We tried to get a similar comp going between the ACT and NSW this year, with the idea of expanding it to other states. In the end it didn't get off the ground (too busy not enough weekends left on the calendar etc). However some of the things that came through very clearly was that kids and parents didn't want another big commitment. Spending a few hours playing in your own home was fine, but to spend the time transporting kids to a central place and either hanging around or coming back again was fairly unattractive.

Also it is not that easy to get large numbers of computers in a single place - the Dorothy Dibley matches died for a number of reasons, but one of them was that neither Victoria nor WA were finding it easy to get 10 computers in one location.

We are not competing for sheep stations - I think we need to trust our kids that they are honourable and not so desperate to win that they would cheat.

The state coordinators for the 2006 Australian Internet Junior Chess Championships are as follows:

NSW - Jason Lyons
    ACT - Libby Smith
    VIC - Kerry Lyall
    SA - Alan Goldsmith
    TAS - Phil Donnelly
    WA - Don Smith
    QLD - no appropriate candidates so far. Email me at saca@sachess.org if you are interested.

Some people who missed out will be offered other roles on the committee.
    Australian Internet Chess Championships-Adults and Juniors
    www.ausnetchess.org

CC International Master

This is coming along well

It is good to see this coming along well. There is another possibility for setting up the matches which is free and reliable but it may take a little bit of setting up and testing. If Kerri is reading this please Email me at
    davidflude@pacific.net.au

Hi all,

I can confirm that the National Conference 2006 unanimously approved our idea for a Junior Internet Championships. The format for the Championships and the team of helpers were also approved. Victoria and Queensland abstained due to the dates of the events but in the case of Victoria this is too difficult to avoid with the Commonwealth games.

This is now an ACF approved event. The SAJCL, the ACF and all other state juior associations will be working together on this. This is not an SAJCL event.

The website will get going mid-late February. Sorry we can't get it up sooner but im in NZ!

We would like to thank the ACF for supporting this idea (in particular Dennis Jessop) and hope that we can improve the appeal and growth of chess in Australia through this new competition.

Thanks,
    Alex.
    www.ausnetchess.org

CC International Master

what about the seniors

If this works than we should organise a seniors (over 65 competition). One of the Box Hill over 85 players no longer comes to the club as he has moved to a retrirement village. Instead he plays on FICS till all hours of the night.

There are an astonishing number of chess players who never play humans face to face just on the Internet.

If this works than we should organise a seniors (over 65 competition). One of the Box Hill over 85 players no longer comes to the club as he has moved to a retrirement village. Instead he plays on FICS till all hours of the night.

There are an astonishing number of chess players who never play humans face to face just on the Internet.
    Absolutely. That is where this could go. There is no way this will stop at juniors.

Just to let you know, the Australian Internet Junior Chess Championships have First Division Sponsors secured for 2006:

Netlogistics
    www.netlogistics.com.au

ChessChat
    www.chesschat.org
    Special thanks to Karthick.

South Australian Junior Chess League (SAJCL)
    www.sajuniorchess.org

If anyone else would be interested in sponsoring this event, fire me an email - alexander.saint@student.adelaide.edu.au and i'll see what we can do.
    Last edited by AES; 07-01-2006 at 06:47 PM.
    www.ausnetchess.org

The Disputes Committee for the Australian Internet Junior Championships is currently in the process of being formed. It will include players, arbiters and/or organisers (current or past) who are experienced, reliable and have obviously made a contribution to Australian chess at the state or national level. Most of all they will be able to objectively (as possible) make an approrpiate decision should a dispute arise. In some cases, the Disputes Committee will contain state coordinators of this competition.

We are not asking for applications. This will be done privately via email or PM. The Disputes Committee will be made up of people from every state.

We will announce this committee before the 16th of January.

Thanks,
    Alex.
    www.ausnetchess.org

The Disputes Committee for the 2006 Australian Internet Junior Chess Championships so far:

Shaun Press
    Jenni Oliver
    Graeme Gardiner
    Bill Gletsos
    Alan Goldsmith
    IM Mark Chapman

Other top players who wil be on the committee will be announced soon. Any suggestions or offers, email me at saca@sachess.org

Other positions announced within the week for publicity, website, and other positions.

thanks,
    Alex.

ps all positions last from February 2006 - December 2006
    Last edited by AES; 16-01-2006 at 07:16 AM.
    www.ausnetchess.org

Hi all,

Here are some more additions to our committee. There will be more. If there is anyone who i haven't contacted who is really keen to be on this committee, we don't want to exclude you! Just send me a PM or email (saca@sachess.org) and i am SURE we can find something for you to help us out with. This committee is not an exclusive club-it is a tournament that is for everyone.

Add to our Disputes Committee,
    Kevin Bonham (Tas)

Also, in the role of publicity
    Trent Parker

Analysis of Games:
    Carl Gorka

website/sponsorship:
    Alex Saint

In late 2006/2007,
    We hope to expand our tournaments to include:
    -tournaments for adults
    -tournaments for rural players
    -tournaments for uni students
    -open tournaments for everyone

The new website has been decided and will be announced on February 10th. Sorry it can't be earlier but i am still in NZ.

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. We hope that this event is a success. And remember, if you want to help out and be actively involved, we would love to have your assistance.

Cheers,
    Alex.
    www.ausnetchess.org

Hi all,

We have a few new positions that have been decided.

Website Results and Publicity
    Jon Paxman
    Putting up Swiss Perfect results, press releases, etc.

ACF Representative:
    Bill Gletsos (ACF Vice-President)
    This is just to ensure that we do everything in accordance with ACF rules and regulations.

Parents Represntative
    Jenni Oliver
    This position is as a point of contact for parents wanting to provide an opinion on a particular competition etc.

Thanks all,
    Alex.
    www.ausnetchess.org

Quote Originally Posted by AES
    Parents Represntative
    Jenni Oliver
    This position is as a point of contact for parents wanting to provide an opinion on a particular competition etc.

My interpretation of this is that if any parent (or junior), wants info, or wishes to pass on an idea or make a complaint, but is a bit intimidated by the chess hierarachy, then they can contact me. I will then point them in the right direction for info, explain a situation, or pass on their ideas/complaints in an anonymous way if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    My interpretation of this is that if any parent (or junior), wants info, or wishes to pass on an idea or make a complaint, but is a bit intimidated by the chess hierarachy, then they can contact me...
    They might be more intimidated by your hyena avatar Jenni...

Hey P.S. who's the QLD rep?
    "I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
    - White Queen, Alice through the Looking-Glass

I'm a bit late in responding to this but I see various other possibilities. One obvious one that I should like to see is full scale Inter-State matches along the lines of the very popular telegraphic matches that used to take place years ago. The geographic set-up in Australia means that very many players, even the stronger ones, rarely get to play outside their local area, a particular problem for Western Australians and also South Australia and Tasmania.

DJ
    ...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."

Thread Information