CC International Master

question for Bill

The coefficient for calculating changes of FIDE ratings can be either 25, or 15 or 10. The FIDE rules say that if you have played less than 30 games the coefficient is 25. My question is when exactly it becomes 15.

Say untill recently I have played 20 games. Then I played 11 games in the championship. I am planning to play one more competition in this rating period. I can see 3 possible scenarios.

1) 25 is used only for the first 30 games, which means the last game from the championship is rated using coefficient 15.
    2) The whole Championship for me is rated using 25.
    3) Anything I play in this rating period is rated using 25.

Which one is correct? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by drug
    The coefficient for calculating changes of FIDE ratings can be either 25, or 15 or 10. The FIDE rules say that if you have played less than 30 games the coefficient is 25. My question is when exactly it becomes 15.

Say untill recently I have played 20 games. Then I played 11 games in the championship. I am planning to play one more competition in this rating period. I can see 3 possible scenarios.

1) 25 is used only for the first 30 games, which means the last game from the championship is rated using coefficient 15.

Good question.

I'm not really sure which is the correct answer, but I suspect it is 2.

The relevant section of the FIDE regulations is:
    10.52 K is the development coefficient.
    K = 25 for a player new to the rating list until he has completed events with a total of at least 30 games.
    K = 15 as long as a player`s rating remains under 2400.
    K = 10 once a player`s published rating has reached 2400, and he has also completed events with a total of at least 30 games. Thereafter it remains permanently at 10.
    I think the critical wording is "he has completed events".

Ian or Cathy Rogers probably know the correct answer.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Good question.

I'm not really sure which is the correct answer, but I suspect it is 2.

The relevant section of the FIDE regulations is:

I think the critical wording is "he has completed events".

Ian or Cathy Rogers probably know the correct answer.
    Shouldnt Greg know the answer??

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Maybe, but he is only new to the position. Gary Bekker may know.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar

The answer is 2). The entire tournament in which you play your 30th rated game has k=25, and all subsequent tournaments are k=15 until you hit 2400.

FIDE's online history is not entirely transparent here, as they don't show the player's tournament history as an unrated player (i.e. when they have 3-8 rated games).

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin
    Yes I should, and I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    Maybe, but he is only new to the position. Gary Bekker may know.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, Bill (from my fellow ACF office-bearer!). I feel that I may just about know what I'm talking about now that I've read the FIDE rating regulations at least six times in the last six months.

I had a brief conversation with Gary in Q'town. To reiterate, all questions to do with FIDE in terms of ratings, affiliation, corrections, norms and so on should be directed to me first and I will do my level best to address them. Please feel free to email me (canfell[at]tpg[dot]com[dot]au), PM me, or just ask on the forum. This leaves Gary free to concentrate on the larger issues within the Oceania Zone.

If, on the other hand, you'd prefer to crap on endlessly with ill-informed, outdated speculation, then please feel free to ask anyone else.
    Last edited by Bill Gletsos; 02-06-2006 at 06:34 PM. Reason: edited email at user's request

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    FIDE's online history is not entirely transparent here, as they don't show the player's tournament history as an unrated player (i.e. when they have 3-8 rated games).
    Thanks for the answer! No more easy points for me.

I find the above bit a little bit unclear. Are you saying that FIDE (or you as its representative) does not know how many FIDE rated games I have played so far?

Quote Originally Posted by greg
    If, on the other hand, you'd prefer to crap on endlessly with ill-informed, outdated speculation, then please feel free to ask anyone else.
    are we able to ask you for this too

CC International Master Rhubarb's Avatar
    I find the above bit a little bit unclear. Are you saying that FIDE (or you as its representative)...
    I'm on the ACF, not FIDE.

... does not know how many FIDE rated games I have played so far?
    No, I'm just saying that clicking on an active player's name doesn't give the actual tournament history before they were rated. It's probably all there on the FIDE site somewhere. In your case, you entered with 9 games at 2227 in April 01, played 5 games in July 01, 5 more in July 02, and have been inactive until last month. So you had 19 games before the Oz Champs. All 11 of your opponents in Brizvegas were rated (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). So you now have 30 rated games (after I submit this tournament for the April 2006 list). Therefore, in your next tournament you're on k=15.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; 26-01-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Thread Information