Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    CC Grandmaster

Queenstown games

1. until 17.f4 Ly was clearly better against Rogers. Now it's not that clear
    2. zhao is better, even though not decisive. Zhao will probably get there.
    3. don't like last white move in Chandler - Wade, but he probably knows what he is doing better then me
    4. Bourmistrov - Wohl. unclear. Personally wouldn't play 16.f4, now black's position is preferrable.
    5. Johnson - Sermek. Black is probably strong enough to eventually capitalise on c-pawns weaknesses. Unless there is some tactics, black's position is clearly better.

Tha's my 2cents worth.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor_Goldenberg
    1. until 17.f4 Ly was clearly better against Rogers. Now it's not that clear
    2. zhao is better, even though not decisive. Zhao will probably get there.
    3. don't like last white move in Chandler - Wade, but he probably knows what he is doing better then me
    4. Bourmistrov - Wohl. unclear. Personally wouldn't play 16.f4, now black's position is preferrable.
    5. Johnson - Sermek. Black is probably strong enough to eventually capitalise on c-pawns weaknesses. Unless there is some tactics, black's position is clearly better.

Tha's my 2cents worth.
    I did not like f4 at first but when i looked at the position closer, I thought that was a good way to solve the d4 threat.

19 ..Kf2 looks dubious to me though.

CC Grandmaster
    d4 is a threat, so he should've played Nd2 or even Nc1. Pawn is still a pawn though. Now black is even slightly better (not much though).

As for 19.Kf2, alternatives aren't much better.

CC Grandmaster

Wohl is better

After forcing white light square bishop off the board, black is clearly better. Something like 18.Bc4 would probably be the best chance. 16.f4 was a very bad move. Playing accurately, white still can manage to hold.

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Move 22 of Ly-Rogers and White doesn't look that bad to me, am I missing something?
    Moderation Requests: All requests for moderation of any kind including thread changes must be made in the Help and Feedback section and not on the thread in question. (Or by private message for routine changes or sensitive matters.)

ACF Newsletter Information - All Australian players and administrators should subscribe and check each issue for relevant notices

My psephology/politics site (token chess references only) : http://kevinbonham.blogspot.com.au/ Politics twitter feed https://twitter.com/kevinbonham

CC Grandmaster

Chandler is winning

It seems to me 22.Rxe7 Qxe7 23. Qd2 wins for white.

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Move 22 of Ly-Rogers and White doesn't look that bad to me, am I missing something?
    Yes, it is probably about equal, while white used to be a pawn up.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I don't like 22.gf3. Black now seems definetely better (too many week pawns for white)

CC Grandmaster

Zhao-Dizdarevic

Instead of trying to equalise, black is playing for attack which has no chances of succeeding. 20.Rd1 looks pretty good

CC Grandmaster

Johnson - Sermek

20... d5 was completely unexpected to me. I thought about something like 20...Qa6. Guess that's the difference between GM and FM

CC Grandmaster

Bourmistrov-Wohl

I don't understand 18...Qd7. Would prefer 18...Qe7 to protect pawn e4, then put a knight on d5 and cover e5 square with f6.

CC International Master
    I don't like 22.gf3. Black now seems definetely better (too many week pawns for white)
    Both black and white have 3 pawn islands. The knight on d4 is very good. The position is equal other than black is gm black currently has nothing.

CC Grandmaster

Ly- Rogers

I don't think Nxe6 is a threat as black would be happy to recapture with the pawn anyway. Accidently, h7 pawn is untouchable because of Rh8 (in case white hopes for 27.Bxh7 g6 28. Nxe6 fxe6 29. Bxg6)

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by drug
    Both black and white have 3 pawn islands. The knight on d4 is very good. The position is equal other than black is gm black currently has nothing.
    I agree it's almost equal, but white pawns are easier to attack and black a bit more active. I'd say very small plus for black (and Rogers definetely better in the endgame. Maybe he deliberately went for worse endgame in the beginning?)

CC Grandmaster

Smile

I don't think Nxe6 is a threat as black would be happy to recapture with the pawn anyway. Accidently, h7 pawn is untouchable because of Rh8 (in case white hopes for 27.Bxh7 g6 28. Nxe6 fxe6 29. Bxg6)
    Obviously, Rogers had different opinion. That is not going to be my last mistake

Thread Information