Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2006 Australian Lightning Championship

Current NSW State Lightning Champion IM Zong-Yuan Zhao has won the 2006 Australian Lightning Championship
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

and Junta Ikeda and James Obst played off for the Junior Lightning title, with James winning, Gareth, Dusan and possibly Rukman came =3rd.

Huge numbers in the juniors and the adult one was pretty big as well. Moulthun had a shock draw with Shannon in the first round (according to his Dad, Moulthun was having trouble swapping from slow chess back to Blitz. He is about a million times better at Lightning than Shannon normally).

CC Candidate Master
    Moulthun i think in his best form. is thee best blitz player in australia. prolly one of the best in the world for his age. didnt he get to 3300 in blitz. Better than most GMs as good as the 2650-2800 guys who play on icc.

Who cares about all these youngsters? There is no one like Sandler. Watch him play blitz and it's like theatre. Beautiful. His win against Bjelobrk was an example. A nod here, a wave of the hand there. Just perfect.

Of course, I must say some positive things about Sandler. After all, he seemed to have an interest in Pinoy chess. As for playing for time in drawn positions (e.g. K+R v K+R), well, that's simply immoral.

And you know, I played that James Morris kid and I think he was upset with me.

AR
    Last edited by arosar; 07-01-2006 at 08:04 AM.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    Beautiful. His win against Bjelobrk was an example. A nod here, a wave of the hand there. Just perfect. AR
    Did he like to show off or somthing?

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arosar
    And you know, I played that James Morris kid and I think he was upset with me.
    He is an 11 year old boy Amiel. He was upset with the way he played some of his games yesterday. I can almost guarantee he was not upset with you personally.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

CC Candidate Master
    I can't wait to see the scoreboard and crosstable for this event to see by how much Zhao won by, who else was in the field, who he played and who took the next few placings.

Remember that Zhao won the NSW Lightning Championship 2005 with a perfect score of 11/11 and 2 full points against such a field as Ronald Yu, Igor Bjelobrk, George Xie, etc. This performance was truly amazing when one considers that he played all the 'top' players and that winning with a perfect score has not been done in many many years.

CC International Master WhiteElephant's Avatar
    I noticed Zhao logging in to ICC each night for a few nights before the lightning...who says ICC is no good for you?

I'd also like to know the other places in the event, how did Moulthun, Sandler, Bjelobrk, etc go?

Quote Originally Posted by 1min_grandmaster
    I can't wait to see the scoreboard and crosstable for this event to see by how much Zhao won by, who else was in the field, who he played and who took the next few placings.

Remember that Zhao won the NSW Lightning Championship 2005 with a perfect score of 11/11 and 2 full points against such a field as Ronald Yu, Igor Bjelobrk, George Xie, etc. This performance was truly amazing when one considers that he played all the 'top' players and that winning with a perfect score has not been done in many many years.
    Yes Zhao won it with 12/13 ahead of Bjelobrk on 10 and Tallaksen and Ly on 9.5.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Yes Zhao won it with 12/13 ahead of Bjelobrk on 10 and Tallaksen and Ly on 9.5.
    12/13 is pretty incredible too.

The full results are now on the ozchess2006 results page (you might have to reload the lightning page to see the results).

CC Grandmaster
    Looks like Sarfati played a monster Swiss Gambit - he lost round one, missed rounds 2-5, and won the last eight to finish =9!

Moulthun had a shock draw with Shannon in the first round (according to his Dad, Moulthun was having trouble swapping from slow chess back to Blitz. He is about a million times better at Lightning than Shannon normally).
    oh no, jenni, i just checked the crosstable and if i'm not suffering identity confusion moulthun lost to drug in an early round. will we hear more of this?
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Looks like Sarfati played a monster Swiss Gambit - he lost round one, missed rounds 2-5, and won the last eight to finish =9!
    He was not at the board for Round 1 ... I left after that so didn't see what time he actually arrived.
    “As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don't recommend Christianity.” -- C.S.Lewis

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    He was not at the board for Round 1 ... I left after that so didn't see what time he actually arrived.
    You're right - he forfeited rd 1.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmogdog
    oh no, jenni, i just checked the crosstable and if i'm not suffering identity confusion moulthun lost to drug in an early round. will we hear more of this?
    Yes unfortunately Moulthun did draw with Shannon in round 1 and lose to Drug in round 3! According to the gossip I heard today, Drug missed a win against Moulthun in their real game yesterday and had to settle for a draw.

Thread Information