Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    CC Candidate Master

2007 Australian Open

Lol very early to start this topic, but whereabouts are they going to be held? any word on detail on it yet?
    Never underestimate junior chess players

CC International Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bunta
    Lol very early to start this topic, but whereabouts are they going to be held? any word on detail on it yet?
    Do you mean the 2007 Australian Open?

CC Candidate Master

umm

Quote Originally Posted by garethbcharles
    Do you mean the 2007 Australian Open?
    well right now they have australian chess championships is that known as the australian open? i was wondering whereabouts would it be held

well right now they have australian chess championships is that known as the australian open? i was wondering whereabouts would it be held
    There are 2 different tournaments - a championships one year and then an open. So we had the 2004 Champs in Adelaide, 2005 open in Mt Buller and the 2006 Champs in Brisbane. 2007 will be an Open and the next Aus Champs will be in 2008. So you have confused us - do you want to know where the 2008 Champs will be or the 2007 Open?

CC International Master Kaitlin's Avatar
    He had you confussed!
    .. this Caketin is full of little spiders and watermelon seeds.....

..Chess is all about fear and psychology

..Chess is like an exam..... you havent studied for

..If you're good at Chess it means you are very intelligent and could potentialy do great things
    ..... but that you might have wasted that playing way too much chess

I am easily confused

If he means the 2008 Champs, I have not heard any rumours. If it is the 2007 Open Canberra is a possibility. The ACT people have let things go to their heads and are trying to grab everything that is not already firmly nailed down....

CC Grandmaster
    I believe bids have closed for 2007, but no winner has been announced (assuming there were bids).

CC FIDE Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    I believe bids have closed for 2007, but no winner has been announced (assuming there were bids).
    At the time of closing there were no bids.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    Dang! After all that hard work to secure that $100 Million sponsorship deal from several multinational corporations for the 2007 Australian Championships that I worked so hard to achieve, I am foiled because I was just too late to put in a bid with the ACF! ... ah well, better go back and tell all the sponsors the sad news that they will just have to keep all their money...

PS Seriously, why aren't the Australian Championships held every year?
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

CC Candidate Master

haha

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    There are 2 different tournaments - a championships one year and then an open. So we had the 2004 Champs in Adelaide, 2005 open in Mt Buller and the 2006 Champs in Brisbane. 2007 will be an Open and the next Aus Champs will be in 2008. So you have confused us - do you want to know where the 2008 Champs will be or the 2007 Open?
    lol whats the difference? oh no, yes i am confused, well i just want to know where there both being held for BOTH. and why is the aust champs going to be held in 2008? i thought its annual

CC International Master
    lol whats the difference? oh no, yes i am confused, well i just want to know where there both being held for BOTH. and why is the aust champs going to be held in 2008? i thought its annual
    No, as Jenni said the Australian Championships are held every two years. The Australian Open is also held every two years, they are held on alternate years. It doesn't sound like anyone at the moment knows where the Open is going to be held, as no bids to hold the tournament have even been submitted(although Jenni has said Canberra is interested). Presumably once there is another call for bids (and if bids are actually submitted), information about where the Open is likely to be held will be forthcoming. As for the next Australian Championships, I get the impression that it could be a while before anyone knows much about where it is going to be.

the reason why there are two tournaments is they are different formats which are designed to target different markets.

The Australian championship has a closed division for the top players in Australia. Also run is conjunction with Aus champs is the major which is for players under 2150.

The australian open is a monster swiss (there is no top division), therefore this allows players around 1800 to get multiple games against 2100+. Also with the Australian open, there is no restriction on the number of overseas players that can be invited.

The aus champs only allows a couple of overseas players generally.

CC International Master ElevatorEscapee's Avatar
    To reiterate: "Why are the Australian Chess Championships only played every two years?" I mean, why can't they be held every year?

In the words of a famous Queenslander: "Please explain."

(Ack! More and more smileys are dropping off by the day!)
    "On my chess set, all the pawns are Hamburglers" ~ Homer Simpson.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevatorEscapee
    To reiterate: "Why are the Australian Chess Championships only played every two years?" I mean, why can't they be held every year?

In the words of a famous Queenslander: "Please explain."

(Ack! More and more smileys are dropping off by the day!)
    Why are the Olympics held every four years? Why are the World Swimming Championships held every two years? That's just the way it is.

If you had the Australian Championships every year, that would involve either not holding the Australian Open, or holding the Open and the Championships in the same year. Given the unwillingness of organisers to take on the Open/Championships as it is, I hardly think that is a good idea. Running the Championships/Open is actually a massive financial risk - if you run both in the same year, you just reduce numbers in both events and make it more difficult to break even.

I stopped bothering about reinventing the Australian Chess Wheel ages ago ...

Thread Information