Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upsets

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1972
    Does Any One Have The Rest Of The Ly-wohl Game
    you can download it from the pgn file from the aus champ website: www.ozchess2006.com

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    you can download it from the pgn file from the aus champ website: www.ozchess2006.com
    The pgn only goes to move 18 {moves unreadable}. I hope they can reconstruct it at some point.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    The pgn only goes to move 18 {moves unreadable}. I hope they can reconstruct it at some point.
    The full game is in the round 2 bulletin which can now be downloaded.

Some nice tactics in the wins by Obst and Lakner.

Account Permanently Banned
    Competitve indices for the rounds (1, 2, 3) of the Championship were 279, 196, 160 .

starter

CC Candidate Master
    The Sam Grigg- Angela Song match in the Juniors ended a draw, while Grigg is over 600 points less in rating than Angela! Congrats Sam!
    Ultimate Patzer!

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Fewer upsets in the Championship in Rd 2.

Jay Lakner beating Kegless was the biggie (have a look at the neat finish). James Obst beating Arianne is a bigger upset on paper, but actually didn't surprise me so much. The GM draws on 1 and 3 definitely don't count as upsets!
    Both the upset wins were again by U2150s who according to some on this BB do not deserve a place, and also there was Pyke's draw with Smirnov, so another good round for the U2150 brigade.

CC Candidate Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    ...who according to some on this BB do not deserve a place...
    "25% rule" is one of the ways to see who did not deserve a place in the tournament afterall.

So, those who are on 1 point or less after 5 rounds and/ or on 2.5 points or less after 11 rounds shouldn't have been allowed to play.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by DoroPhil
    "25% rule" is one of the ways to see who did not deserve a place in the tournament afterall.

So, those who are on 1 point or less after 5 rounds and/ or on 2.5 points or less after 11 rounds shouldn't have been allowed to play.
    That's rubbish, of course since virtually every Swiss will have players who score under 25%. It is perfectly possible for a player who totally deserves their place to have a bad tournament.

Also if you had sufficiently many players who supposedly didn't deserve a place admitted then some of those would score 3 just by beating the others. That is why I think the only useful measure is the performances of those who supposedly shouldn't be in against those who supposedly should.

I think the state champions should be in irrespective, but it is useful to look at the performances of those in under the improving junior or equivalent proficiency rules and see how they go when not playing each other. It is also useful to look at the results of those state champs who would have otherwise needed the improving junior or equivalent proficiency rules to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Careth
    The Sam Grigg- Angela Song match in the Juniors ended a draw, while Grigg is over 600 points less in rating than Angela! Congrats Sam!
    Another draw with a similar rating difference (of interest to me because the lower-rated player is a Tasmanian and this would have to be her best result so far.)

5 1205 Eustace, Sophie (1) - Horton, Nina (1) 466

Anything could have happened at the end of this because Nina missed 50...Rg1+! winning then Sophie missed 52.Rf4+ likewise.

Yet again the U2150 brigade did well today with wins for Pyke vs Caoili and Moylan vs Humphrey. The only other upset win on ratings was Smerdon over Schmaltz.

Competitve indices for the rounds (1, 2, 3, 4) of the Championship were 279, 196, 160, 139 .

starter

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    Another draw with a similar rating difference (of interest to me because the lower-rated player is a Tasmanian and this would have to be her best result so far.)

5 1205 Eustace, Sophie (1) - Horton, Nina (1) 466

Anything could have happened at the end of this because Nina missed 50...Rg1+! winning then Sophie missed 52.Rf4+ likewise.
    Kevin. I have only looked at it on the screen but isn't white stilling winning after 52. Rd6+. Can't white bring the queen closer while checking and then eventually work the rook into play so there will be a checkmate or win of material.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    Kevin. I have only looked at it on the screen but isn't white stilling winning after 52. Rd6+. Can't white bring the queen closer while checking and then eventually work the rook into play so there will be a checkmate or win of material.
    It appears not. If White tries this, Black can at the appropriate moment play ...Kb3 and then block White queen checks on the diagonal with ...c4.

Re the "upsets" in the Champs, I notice that the following are currently the top-rated females on the ACF list:

2293 Caoili
    2184 Sorokina
    2148 Koshnitsky
    2128 Berezina
    2093 Moylan
    2072 Nguyen
    2071 Eriksson
    (etc)

As many of the top female players are relatively inactive (the above seven played a whole two rated games between them in the December 05 period), their ratings may not be all that accurate and so upsets involving top female players (either winning or losing against rating) are to be expected.
    Last edited by Kevin Bonham; 31-12-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Cool A forensic challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Sweeney
    What was the competitive index on this particular junk round, starter

hi Matt

All this talk of upsets.
    He is a small challenge for you...>>>
    Find the first upset in the
    round 1 cross-table
    of the U18 Juniors currently in play.

And if you solve the first one, before your atomizer runs out of water, then have a look at the cross-table for the U18 Girls event and tell me if it is sorted in rating order.

regards
    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 03-01-2006 at 07:41 AM.

Thread Information