Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 293
  1. #166
    CC Grandmaster arosar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,047
    Smerdon did get the norm. Xie was the first to congrats post post-mortem.

    AR

  2. #167
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    183
    That is so awsome!

    What a machine.

    Can igor Bjelobrk possibly still get an IM norm? Or is it alot harder now?

  3. #168
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I have now put Dr Fritz on the case. 32...Ke7 was probably good for a slight advantage to black. 32...Kg7, 33...Nxg3 and 35...Ne2+ were all mistakes and Xie is now totally lost.

    Oh, and Smerdon's h4 was fine (whatever it actually does) but he should have played 32.Rd7 not 32.Rd8+ allowing ...Ke7.
    Kevin, as far as I can remember for the Smerdon and Xie's analysis of the game afterwards they concluded Ke7 lost, but I don't remember how. I wonder what they missed. They seemed to conclude that Xie had to play Nh6 earlier (move 33 maybe) than this and after that he didn't he was in trouble, probably losing.
    Also I think they also concluded h4 was okay, but not best.
    Scott

  4. #169
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoTHEstud
    That is so awsome!

    What a machine.

    Can igor Bjelobrk possibly still get an IM norm? Or is it alot harder now?
    He certainly could have before the round, but I am not sure about now. Cathy Rogers and Charles Zworestine had it all worked out to put up on a notice board in the venue but I am not sure whether it was done.
    Smerdon has a 9 game norm, but I understand he might be able to get even a 12 game norm depending on his results.
    Scott

  5. #170
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    He certainly could have before the round, but I am not sure about now. Cathy Rogers and Charles Zworestine had it all worked out to put up on a notice board in the venue but I am not sure whether it was done.
    Smerdon has a 9 game norm, but I understand he might be able to get even a 12 game norm depending on his results.
    Scott
    Scott, dont you mean an 11 game norm.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

  6. #171
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    183
    is there a difference between a 12 game norm and a 9 game norm.? I used the fide caculator last night. IT looks like dave might get about 60 elo points. A good queenstown result could put him over 2500. Making him aussie 2nd top rated player.!

  7. #172
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Scott, dont you mean an 11 game norm.
    Bill. No a 12 game norm was what Cathy was saying. Section 1.41c of the section of the FIDE handbook on the FIDE website says,

    Where a player exceeds the norm requirements by one or more full points, then the length of the tournament is considered to be extended by that number of games when computing the total number of games.
    I take it that it is possible for Smerdon to score one more point in the rest of the tournament than he requires to make an 11 game norm. I think, but am not absolutely sure on this, he has to win all the rest of his games to do it.

    Scott

  8. #173
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    Bill. No a 12 game norm was what Cathy was saying. Section 1.41c of the section of the FIDE handbook on the FIDE website says,



    I take it that it is possible for Smerdon to score one more point in the rest of the tournament than he requires to make an 11 game norm. I think, but am not absolutely sure on this, he has to win all the rest of his games to do it.

    Scott
    Yes, I'm aware of that regulation. However in theory he could also even make a 13 game norm. Therefore because you had explicitly mentioned 12, I assumed you had just made a typo.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

  9. #174
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,639
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoTHEstud
    is there a difference between a 12 game norm and a 9 game norm.? I used the fide caculator last night. IT looks like dave might get about 60 elo points. A good queenstown result could put him over 2500. Making him aussie 2nd top rated player.!
    You need two norms over 27 games. However for most people it is virtually impossible to get 2 norms in that many games as two events normally wont ever cover 27 rounds. Therefore most people require 3 norms over the 27 games.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

  10. #175
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Yes, I'm aware of that regulation. However in theory he could also even make a 13 game norm. Therefore because you had explicitly mentioned 12, I assumed you had just made a typo.
    I said 12 because that is what I am sure I heard Cathy say. I would have been surprised if you didn't know the regulation, but I looked it up just to make sure I had it right myself.
    Scott

  11. #176
    Illuminati Bill Gletsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    16,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    I said 12 because that is what I am sure I heard Cathy say. I would have been surprised if you didn't know the regulation, but I looked it up just to make sure I had it right myself.
    Scott
    I'm assume therefore that Cathy doesnt think he could exceed the norm requirements by 2 points and thus score a 13 game norm.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

  12. #177
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I'm assume therefore that Cathy doesnt think he could exceed the norm requirements by 2 points and thus score a 13 game norm.
    Exactly what I think as well, especially since I think Cathy said he needed to win all of his games to the 12 game norm.
    Scott

  13. #178
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    I'm assume therefore that Cathy doesnt think he could exceed the norm requirements by 2 points and thus score a 13 game norm.
    Exactly what I think as well, especially since I think Cathy said he needed to win all of his games to get the 12 game norm.
    Scott

  14. #179
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    412
    The last move in the Zhao-Chandler game was ...Qb2+ - the rest was just post-game analysis, recorded by the DGT board.

    Ian

  15. #180
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,444
    A couple of notes on things mentioned earlier in the thread. I was told Duxbury was working at least some nights during the tournament and I think was probably very tired. He apparently told someone to tell the arbiters that he was withdrawing but the arbiters didn't here of it until after the next round started.
    Levi apparently only gave back problems as a reason for his withdrawal much later than when he initially said he was withdrawing.
    Scott

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2005 Queensland Championship and Reserve games
    By Garvinator in forum Completed Tournaments
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
  2. ACF December 2005 Ratings
    By Bill Gletsos in forum Ratings Arena
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 10:04 PM
  3. Is it Australian championship or just an open tournament?
    By Leonid Sandler in forum Australian Chess Championships 2006
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 11:07 PM
  4. Australian Womens Championship
    By Oepty in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •