Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Smerdon did get the norm. Xie was the first to congrats post post-mortem.

AR

CC Candidate Master
    That is so awsome!

What a machine.

Can igor Bjelobrk possibly still get an IM norm? Or is it alot harder now?

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    I have now put Dr Fritz on the case. 32...Ke7 was probably good for a slight advantage to black. 32...Kg7, 33...Nxg3 and 35...Ne2+ were all mistakes and Xie is now totally lost.

Oh, and Smerdon's h4 was fine (whatever it actually does) but he should have played 32.Rd7 not 32.Rd8+ allowing ...Ke7.
    Kevin, as far as I can remember for the Smerdon and Xie's analysis of the game afterwards they concluded Ke7 lost, but I don't remember how. I wonder what they missed. They seemed to conclude that Xie had to play Nh6 earlier (move 33 maybe) than this and after that he didn't he was in trouble, probably losing.
    Also I think they also concluded h4 was okay, but not best.
    Scott

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by GinoTHEstud
    That is so awsome!

What a machine.

Can igor Bjelobrk possibly still get an IM norm? Or is it alot harder now?
    He certainly could have before the round, but I am not sure about now. Cathy Rogers and Charles Zworestine had it all worked out to put up on a notice board in the venue but I am not sure whether it was done.
    Smerdon has a 9 game norm, but I understand he might be able to get even a 12 game norm depending on his results.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    He certainly could have before the round, but I am not sure about now. Cathy Rogers and Charles Zworestine had it all worked out to put up on a notice board in the venue but I am not sure whether it was done.
    Smerdon has a 9 game norm, but I understand he might be able to get even a 12 game norm depending on his results.
    Scott
    Scott, dont you mean an 11 game norm.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

CC Candidate Master
    is there a difference between a 12 game norm and a 9 game norm.? I used the fide caculator last night. IT looks like dave might get about 60 elo points. A good queenstown result could put him over 2500. Making him aussie 2nd top rated player.!

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    Scott, dont you mean an 11 game norm.
    Bill. No a 12 game norm was what Cathy was saying. Section 1.41c of the section of the FIDE handbook on the FIDE website says,

Where a player exceeds the norm requirements by one or more full points, then the length of the tournament is considered to be extended by that number of games when computing the total number of games.
    I take it that it is possible for Smerdon to score one more point in the rest of the tournament than he requires to make an 11 game norm. I think, but am not absolutely sure on this, he has to win all the rest of his games to do it.

Scott

Bill. No a 12 game norm was what Cathy was saying. Section 1.41c of the section of the FIDE handbook on the FIDE website says,

I take it that it is possible for Smerdon to score one more point in the rest of the tournament than he requires to make an 11 game norm. I think, but am not absolutely sure on this, he has to win all the rest of his games to do it.

Scott
    Yes, I'm aware of that regulation. However in theory he could also even make a 13 game norm. Therefore because you had explicitly mentioned 12, I assumed you had just made a typo.
    Mos Eisley spaceport The toolbox. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Quote Originally Posted by GinoTHEstud
    is there a difference between a 12 game norm and a 9 game norm.? I used the fide caculator last night. IT looks like dave might get about 60 elo points. A good queenstown result could put him over 2500. Making him aussie 2nd top rated player.!
    You need two norms over 27 games. However for most people it is virtually impossible to get 2 norms in that many games as two events normally wont ever cover 27 rounds. Therefore most people require 3 norms over the 27 games.

CC Grandmaster
    Yes, I'm aware of that regulation. However in theory he could also even make a 13 game norm. Therefore because you had explicitly mentioned 12, I assumed you had just made a typo.
    I said 12 because that is what I am sure I heard Cathy say. I would have been surprised if you didn't know the regulation, but I looked it up just to make sure I had it right myself.
    Scott

I said 12 because that is what I am sure I heard Cathy say. I would have been surprised if you didn't know the regulation, but I looked it up just to make sure I had it right myself.
    Scott
    I'm assume therefore that Cathy doesnt think he could exceed the norm requirements by 2 points and thus score a 13 game norm.

CC Grandmaster
    I'm assume therefore that Cathy doesnt think he could exceed the norm requirements by 2 points and thus score a 13 game norm.
    Exactly what I think as well, especially since I think Cathy said he needed to win all of his games to the 12 game norm.
    Scott

CC Grandmaster
    Exactly what I think as well, especially since I think Cathy said he needed to win all of his games to get the 12 game norm.
    Scott

CC Candidate Master
    The last move in the Zhao-Chandler game was ...Qb2+ - the rest was just post-game analysis, recorded by the DGT board.

Ian

CC Grandmaster
    A couple of notes on things mentioned earlier in the thread. I was told Duxbury was working at least some nights during the tournament and I think was probably very tired. He apparently told someone to tell the arbiters that he was withdrawing but the arbiters didn't here of it until after the next round started.
    Levi apparently only gave back problems as a reason for his withdrawal much later than when he initially said he was withdrawing.
    Scott

Thread Information