Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Just hope they have them all working in the morning, as Ikeda v Ly should be one game worth watching
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

CC Candidate Master
    Phil, the match I am waiting for is the Ly-Suttor match. Suttor is going to be going at Ly with vengeance...
    Ultimate Patzer!

Will watch that one too, most of these youngsters are new to me, so I rely on more experienced watchers to steer me towards the better games.
    Just that Ly is widely spoken off, and is having a great tournament, and Ikeda has been mentioned before, even sneaking a win of Rogers in the NSW Open (?) Made me think that these two would be the titans of the Junior Tournament.
    Which raises another question, being 11 rounds, can these two play again if they are co-leaders going into the last round? It might be more applicable to the Open Tournament, where it seems that most of the heavyweights will have played each other well before the last round.
    Get into chess, its a lifetime of enjoyment!
    Blayney Chess Club is online
    http://blayneychessclub.com

Monster of the deep Kevin Bonham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilBourke
    Which raises another question, being 11 rounds, can these two play again if they are co-leaders going into the last round? It might be more applicable to the Open Tournament, where it seems that most of the heavyweights will have played each other well before the last round.
    Swiss system never allows repairing of two opponents who have already played each other. You could say, why not, if they are so far ahead that none of the others can catch them. The only downside I can see of that is it might deprive the one who has had the harder run through the draw to that stage of an easy last round game as compensation.

Often by the last round of the Aus Champs the heavyweights are digging well into the midfield. Not sure about this year - there are so many heavyweights!

This Aus Junior is really encouraging - the depth of strength at the pointy end is great.

Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
    This Aus Junior is really encouraging - the depth of strength at the pointy end is great.
    It is great and even more so when you consider who isn't playing (in the junior).
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by PhilBourke
    Just that Ly is widely spoken off, and is having a great tournament, and Ikeda has been mentioned before, even sneaking a win of Rogers in the NSW Open (?) Made me think that these two would be the titans of the Junior Tournament.
    I think age comes into it as well. Moulthun and Junta are both 14, so there is a lot of potential for more development there. Vincent, Gareth, Ronald Yu are all 17, so you feel are maybe heading for a plateau. Ronald has had a slow start, but is every bit as good as the others. Michael Morris is doing very well, particularly given it is his first juniors. Angela Song is playing extremely well - if only she liked chess and wanted to continue playing we would have a strong home grown girl for the future.....

I know Junta will be very keen to do well today so I am going to enjoy watchng the game. James Cronan mucked up his opening prep yesterday, but he is also playing well.

Moulthun has superstar status and has his nose in front and might well hold it, but I think it is exciting that we have so many other good juniors. I think Australia needs depth, not just individual stars.

Quote Originally Posted by jenni
    Angela Song is playing extremely well - if only she liked chess and wanted to continue playing we would have a strong home grown girl for the future.....
    agreed clap,clap (damn not having those emoticons, cant even give an angry emoticon for not having emoticons) lol.

Moulthun has superstar status and has his nose in front and might well hold it, but I think it is exciting that we have so many other good juniors. I think Australia needs depth, not just individual stars.
    and they need to continue on after they turn 18 or so, otherwise i consider it all wasted.

Does it look like the junior games have frozen again?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    Does it look like the junior games have frozen again?
    looking at the site again, this appears to be a certainty. Looks like there is a major problem occurring. Will look at it again during the sessions interval and after the championship games tonight.

DGT Broadcast

Sorry Guys,

This has now been rectified and games will be updated every few minutes.

Thanks,

Gary Bekker

CC Grandmaster
    Junta looks to be in dire straits and massive time trouble against Moulthun. 2.b3 ?! was an interesting choice, but he looked ok until 11.h3?

CC Grandmaster
    Looks like Angela missed a killing blow with 29.Rxe6!!

CC Candidate Master
    1. e4 c5 2. b3 is actually covered in a book on the Dragon I recently got. Unfortunately, Moulthun played a French. Against a Sicilian, it is fairly useful against higher rated players I've found- in Lightning. Never seen it against a French.
    Last edited by Careth; 03-01-2006 at 12:07 PM.
    Ultimate Patzer!

2.b3 followed by 3.exd5 really should not cause Black any trouble. Looks like Moulthun's 5...c5 was an error but then Ikeda obliged with 11.h3 giving himself the same pawn problems. I wonder if Moulthun's considering 19...Bxf4.

Quote Originally Posted by pax
    Looks like Angela missed a killing blow with 29.Rxe6!!
    Can Black refute that with ...Be5?

Thread Information