CC Grandmaster

Australian Senior Championships 2006

I see that this tournament has been combined with the major because of lack of players. This most probably would have happened in Adelaide last time except Srbo Zaric's rating was over 2150 so he could not play in the major. As it was a number of players transfered to the major anyway, including Krstic and Lilly I think, and a couple of others may have done so as well but were slow in speaking up. The failure of this tournament twice in a row to attract enough players to be considered a success must be a concern. I wonder what future is for this title. Making it part of the Major as a normal thing is not really a viable option because there are a number seniors who do have ratings over 2150, Hamilton, Flatow and Fuller. Zaric's rating is likely to go back over 2150 as well.

Well I have drifted into the future, but does anyone know whether all seniors in the Major are eligible for the title or only those who entered the seniors? Are the players who entered the seniors eligble to win prizes in the major?
    Scott

When I left the venue an hour ago, the arbiters and organisers were still trying to get a separate senior division together. I believe they had five players and were trying to get a sixth.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    When I left the venue an hour ago, the arbiters and organisers were still trying to get a separate senior division together. I believe they had five players and were trying to get a sixth.
    The website said the seniors was part of the major. 6 if they can get a 6th is hardly a success, they were after enough for a 11 round swiss.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    The website said the seniors was part of the major. 6 if they can get a 6th is hardly a success, they were after enough for a 11 round swiss.
    Scott
    True, but with 6 they can run a double round robin of 10 rounds.
    The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

CC Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gletsos
    True, but with 6 they can run a double round robin of 10 rounds.
    Bill, I am aware of this, after all I was part of the decision to do exactly that in Adelaide 2 years ago. I think we had 9 players initially entered in Adelaide but the rest moved to the major as I explained in my previous post. So the numbers are down on last time.
    Scott

Thread Information