Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
  1. #16
    CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    DeltaQuadrant4...
    Posts
    1,771

    Wink Missing In Action....

    Well BFG,the vic champs had 1 GM and four IM's...now would you care to remind us how many IM's played in the NSW champs this year.

    I presume the Vic open hasnt been submitted yet as there hasnt been an actual bidder for the 2006 tournament yet.

    I also presume that Elwood,which had a first prize that was twice as large as Ballarat/Begonia,is listed as category 1 rather than category3 because they didnt want to pay any money to be on the grand prix list.

  2. #17
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    Sorry Starter for being mischievous. Was just having a gentle dig at one of FG7s claims in another thread.
    N. p. ..........BFG,

    I was just trying to keep the thread alive for Brian; he doesn't have something like 'competitive indices' to keep general interest up during the quiet periods of publicity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    I think if you start at Tullermarine (or that other flat place out towards Geelong) and then go vertically you will find that you can descend on Sydney or Gold Coast or Coffs Harbour or Dubbo.

    Why not take the family and visit the Dubbo Zoo (and the Big Telescope at Parkes!)
    Hmmm.
    I asked about a Holbrook by-pass, and you seem to have enlarged the concept to a Sydney by-pass.

    By the way, you might be able to answer a question that intrigues me.....Weshers seem to have built 2 parallel 6-lane freeways from the CBD to Parramatta, but can't afford just 1 only 4 -lane freeway south of Holbrook. How come?

    starter
    Last edited by ursogr8; 16-12-2005 at 10:54 AM.

  3. #18
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by starter
    By the way, you might be able to answer a question that intrigues me.....Weshers seem to have built 2 parallel 6-lane freeways from the CBD to Parramatta, but can't afford just 1 only 4 -lane freeway south of Holbrook. How come?
    Good question. One would have thought it would double the revenue from the two speed cameras and therefore pay for itself.

    It's enough to make one move interstate.

    BTW I might do a report on the New England Hwy in a couple of weeks.
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  4. #19
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,055
    Holbrook? Is that anywhere Holsworthy?

  5. #20
    CC Grandmaster Garvinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    13,091
    Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    I also presume that Elwood,which had a first prize that was twice as large as Ballarat/Begonia,is listed as category 1 rather than category3 because they didnt want to pay any money to be on the grand prix list.
    how can a tournament that is likely to have $2500 approx in prizes be listed as a gp cat 1 tournament for 2006? Shouldnt it be a cat 3 or similiar or not included at all?

  6. #21
    CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    DeltaQuadrant4...
    Posts
    1,771

    Question Seems unusal doesnt it?....

    I have to say when I saw the grand prix calendar and the Elwood tournament was given a category 1 I was surprised,maybe Brian can give us an explanation as to why this is the case.

  7. #22
    Reader in Slood Dynamics Rincewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The multiverse
    Posts
    21,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Jones
    Holbrook? Is that anywhere Holsworthy?
    Just a short submarine trip away, perhaps...
    So einfach wie möglich, aber nicht einfacher - Albert Einstein

  8. #23
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    would you care to remind us how many IM's played in the NSW champs this year.
    There was one GM and two FMs playing in the Malaysian Open this year. And, Ian Rogers, Alex Wohl, Gary Lane and George Xie played many overseas events. The NSW champs is not yet attractive to professional players. But neither is the Victorian champs?

  9. #24
    CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    DeltaQuadrant4...
    Posts
    1,771
    Well,I wouldnt expect Rogers,Wohl or Lane to play...but that still leaves Zhong Zhao,John Paul Wallace[Is he retired again?...] and the Feldmans.

    Hopefully next year George Xie and Igor Bjelobrk will be able to play because with just 1 player above 2200[keg] it looks like the tournament is going backwards...

  10. #25
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrayggray
    how can a tournament that is likely to have $2500 approx in prizes be listed as a gp cat 1 tournament for 2006? Shouldnt it be a cat 3 or similiar or not included at all?
    they can choose which class they want.
    i guess to be a cat 3 they have to be > $2000 but it's still optional.
    they can choose a lower category or not to be listed at all if they desire.

    to build the tournament up (ie. attract interstate or non-regulars) seems
    good investment to increase category but something they can think about.

  11. #26
    CC International Master four four two's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    DeltaQuadrant4...
    Posts
    1,771

    Question

    Well I would think that having a first prize of $2,000 would be enough to draw stronger players from interstate.

    Maybe they see the prize money as being their best way of "promotion" rather than being in a higher category and paying a grand prix fee.

  12. #27
    CC Candidate Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    Well I would think that having a first prize of $2,000 would be enough to draw stronger players from interstate.
    what about upcoming juniors or u2000/u1600?!
    maybe the gp prizes for these would be good incentive.
    they would assume gm/im may take out top prize.

  13. #28
    CC Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    5,667
    It's pretty clear that Victoria, either collectively or otherwise have chosen not to support the Grand Prix (with only two tournaments above class 1). Presumably they have their reasons, but the end result is that it will be rather difficult for Victorian players to compete for national prizes.

    WA have not supported the GP for many years on the reasonable basis that WA players are extremely unlikely to be able to compete for national GP prizes due to the tyranny of distance. Instead of paying money for a national GP, WA has it's own GP. This year, WA is able to have six class one events due to the free entry, but still pays no money. In any case, WA events are typically low entry fee/low prizemoney so would not normally qualify for any higher category in the GP.

  14. #29
    Account Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,680
    Quote Originally Posted by pax
    It's pretty clear that Victoria, either collectively or otherwise
    I think we can scrub the idea of a collective decision. Therefore we have the catch-all 'otherwise' variey of reasons.



    have chosen not to support the Grand Prix (with only two tournaments above class 1).
    Presumably they have their reasons,
    Agreed


    but the end result is that it will be rather difficult for Victorian players to compete for national prizes.
    Agreed

    <snip>

  15. #30
    CC International Master Brian_Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,055
    Quote Originally Posted by four four two
    Elwood tournament was given a category 1 I was surprised,maybe Brian can give us an explanation as to why this is the case.
    Not all organisers take a national perspective. Some are just downright parochial (never I hear you say!)

    I suspect Elwood choose Class 1 because they are just being prudent (or what is that other word I am searching for?).

    It is all well and good with one or two big prizes but look what happened to Caloundra. They advertised three GMs. So all the other players stayed at home because there was no prize left for them to aim for.

    One of the objectives of the 2006 Myer Tan Grand Prix is to get organisers to lenghthen and strengthen the main prize list. Rating prizes will follow automatically and the players will turn out again!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Australian Chess Championships 2006
    By News Bot in forum Chess Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2005, 12:01 AM
  2. How to increase chess participation.
    By ursogr8 in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 22-04-2005, 05:02 PM
  3. Mt Buller - Chess World letter to ACF
    By ChessGuru in forum Mt Buller Chess
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 17-07-2004, 11:58 AM
  4. Australian chess wheel reinvented again!
    By Kevin Bonham in forum Australian Chess
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-02-2004, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •